Tottenham Hotspur B - Checkatrade Trophy 2017-2018 - The Road to Wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because we have no place in this competition. It's for 3rd and 4th Division teams, if they get to Wembley its the best thing ever for them, the whole town celebrates. 1st and 2nd Division B teams shouldn't be in it and I hope all of them get knocked out ASAP. Alex from Bristol put it far better than I can on a pod a few episodes ago, but I felt exactly the same way last year when we weren't in it, as did friends of mine who support lower league teams.
...and CL dropouts have no place in the Europa League knockout stages IMHO.
Wouldn't stop me from supporting Spurs if we DID find ourselves in that situation later this season.

Until we get to decide who plays in what competition... I'll just support the club in whatever Cup we're represented in!

Because we have no place in this competition. It's for 3rd and 4th Division teams, if they get to Wembley its the best thing ever for them, the whole town celebrates. 1st and 2nd Division B teams shouldn't be in it and I hope all of them get knocked out ASAP. Alex from Bristol put it far better than I can on a pod a few episodes ago, but I felt exactly the same way last year when we weren't in it, as did friends of mine who support lower league teams.
You must be ecstatic at this then...
www.lutontown.co.uk/matches/fixtures/first-team/201718/august/luton-town-vs-tottenham-hotspur-u21spurs-on-29-aug-17/

We equalised as I was posting! That'll learn me to have such little faith in our U-23's

...and CL dropouts have no place in the Europa League knockout stages IMHO.
Wouldn't stop me from supporting Spurs if we DID find ourselves in that situation later this season.

Until we get to decide who plays in what competition... I'll just support the club in whatever Cup we're represented in!
It's not the same in my opinion. These are clubs that have precious little to ever celebrate, unless they are in a play-off they will never, ever go to Wembly, never be in any kind of major final. It's massive for them, beyond what you can imagine. We shouldn't have any part of it.

And no, I'll be far from ecstatic if we draw or lose, that would be mental. Just utterly unbothered, and hoping that along with all the other 1st and 2nd Div B teams, we don't progress.

Like I say, I hope we play well and draw or lose to the odd goal, so we can get on with winning the U23 League

This is great experience for our young players so nothing but a positive for our development. It adds a new dimension to a tournament that already had pitiful support. It's only two teams who will get to Wembley and it's unlikely to be the B teams. People against us being in this tournament have well meaning principles but ones that are a little misplaced for me.

This is great experience for our young players so nothing but a positive for our development. It adds a new dimension to a tournament that already had pitiful support. It's only two teams who will get to Wembley and it's unlikely to be the B teams. People against us being in this tournament have well meaning principles but ones that are a little misplaced for me.
Great point, I put our future products over Lutons day out at Wembley....it's a match, they can win it too

Providing no potential first teamers/recovering from injury type players appear so for example Edwards should play no part as he's part of first team squad - if any players of his ilk start getting game time in this comp then it's another nail into grassroots football imo

I don't want us to lose. But I don't want to support us being included in the competition by going to the game.

It's a far bigger deal than CL dropouts being included in EL and the whole inclusion of the B teams reeks of modern football IMO. Money and privilege over the interests of the fans.

I don't want us to lose. But I don't want to support us being included in the competition by going to the game.

It's a far bigger deal than CL dropouts being included in EL and the whole inclusion of the B teams reeks of modern football IMO. Money and privilege over the interests of the fans.
I don't want us to lose per se, I just don't want us, or any other top flight B team to progress. If that involves us losing, so be it. For exactly the reasons you mention.

Start another competition, for just B teams or with 3rd and 4th Div teams invited, by all means. It's purely and simply that we and others shouldn't be hijacking this one

The flip side of this is that teams such as Luton, Wimbledon & Barnet get to pit their wits against potential future Premier League players...
Who's to say THEY can't gain valuable experience against players whom they'd probably be playing against anyway, if all those Premier League clubs chose to loan out their players to lower league clubs instead!

Given the number of clubs who turned down the academy side invitation, its hard to cast this as a "money ruining football" situation of the Premier League trying to raid a cup competition for lower clubs that doesn't belong to them. Clearly most don't want it. It was decided to bring in the larger clubs' academies by the chairmen of league clubs - because they thought they could make more money that way...and most the larger clubs have decided its not for them.

I think its ridiculous that we're in the competition, but go on and fucking win it - I'm not rooting against any Spurs side. And if we went to Wembley and lifted the cup, then surely the experiment would be over....everyone wins. Instead we get to argue about this again next year.

:pochrolleyes:

Christ, penalties? What a farce. It's not a fucking knockout so the draw should stand
To be fair... that is a bit shit innit? Especially for a group game!

Still... maybe they're trying things out for when 'Murcia takes over football and there simply NEEDS to be a winner in every game!

Back
Top Bottom