Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mrs. P the name wally club was just an affectionate one. I too was a member from 1972 to 1980. Still got my card with all the yearly renewals glued in the back with 'ME' for Mary Elam written on it. Happy days indeed. As for pasting links??? I wouldn't have a clue. Nutter can probably oblige as he is more tech savvy than me!
I'll let you off then as you are a fellow "wally" :)
Don't know if you've been to the new club shop, but the way they have incorporated Warmington House is very clever, it will house The Tottenham Experience when it's finished.

I'll let you off then as you are a fellow "wally" :)
Don't know if you've been to the new club shop, but the way they have incorporated Warmington House is very clever, it will house The Tottenham Experience when it's finished.
Thanks Mrs.P. never my intention to denigrate. I haven't been yet no but i have seen the pictures of it and am so glad we have retained it. I remember another tale regarding the supporters club. Was Burnley away on the train and we they were selling raffle tickets for Johnny Pratts testimonial and our carriage won. It was a bottle of Johnnie Walkers that had the label up the wrong way so was clearly from the optics in the club house. We emptied the contents between Euston and Burnley and staggered off into town drunk as skunks. Later on the SSC brought in a four cans each rule for away trips so we showed up with four party sevens each at Kings Cross for the next away game. Even the police were laughing (they did in those days), For those fortunate to be young enough not to remember party sevens have a google to see why it was amusing.

Thanks Mrs.P. never my intention to denigrate. I haven't been yet no but i have seen the pictures of it and am so glad we have retained it. I remember another tale regarding the supporters club. Was Burnley away on the train and we they were selling raffle tickets for Johnny Pratts testimonial and our carriage won. It was a bottle of Johnnie Walkers that had the label up the wrong way so was clearly from the optics in the club house. We emptied the contents between Euston and Burnley and staggered off into town drunk as skunks. Later on the SSC brought in a four cans each rule for away trips so we showed up with four party sevens each at Kings Cross for the next away game. Even the police were laughing (they did in those days), For those fortunate to be young enough not to remember party sevens have a google to see why it was amusing.

I used to have a 6 pack but now i have a party 7....

I well remember the routine of piling into Warmington House before home games to buy your coach/train ticket for the away game the following week. Always just bought our match tickets on the door the day of the game. That was before i started going on KR coaches or, more usually for me, by train.

I well remember the routine of piling into Warmington House before home games to buy your coach/train ticket for the away game the following week. Always just bought our match tickets on the door the day of the game. That was before i started going on KR coaches or, more usually for me, by train.
Yes and the anoraks at Jack's programme hut on the concourse. I remember buying a 1937 'sheet' programme from him in my anorak for 50p. Would have been the 75-76 season under the vile Terry Neill. We used to get the home programmes delivered to our house and i can still feel the thrill of opening that envelope stamped N17 when it arrived containing its pristine programme. Oh the memories.

Yes and the anoraks at Jack's programme hut on the concourse. I remember buying a 1937 'sheet' programme from him in my anorak for 50p. Would have been the 75-76 season under the vile Terry Neill. We used to get the home programmes delivered to our house and i can still feel the thrill of opening that envelope stamped N17 when it arrived containing its pristine programme. Oh the memories.

I know the football is 'better', the grounds are 'better' & the pitches are 'better' in modern football but fuck me i miss pre-Premier League days. Football is now big business & a huge corporate machine. Sometimes it feels like watching Tesco vs Morrisons. But THFC is a life-long love affair and i can't give it up.

I know the football is 'better', the grounds are 'better' & the pitches are 'better' in modern football but fuck me i miss pre-Premier League days. Football is now big business & a huge corporate machine. Sometimes it feels like watching Tesco vs Morrisons. But THFC is a life-long love affair and i can't give it up.
Perfectly summed up NN. I still see the odd face from the past when at Wembley and a knowing nod is exchanged and i too hate the modern game and all that goes with it but, like you Tottenham Hotspur is something i can't give up. 50 years now for me. Love the club.

Perfectly summed up NN. I still see the odd face from the past when at Wembley and a knowing nod is exchanged and i too hate the modern game and all that goes with it but, like you Tottenham Hotspur is something i can't give up. 50 years now for me. Love the club.

I've been a fan since February 1968 & been going since August 1972. While i am still breathing i will make the effort.

Being able to turn up with some mates and after a few beers and slap 5 bob down at the turnstiles for entry. Choose whereabouts in the ground you want to stand (yep, believe it or not, you could actually stand at a football match!) and have a great sing-song, enjoy the bantz and giving as much grief as possible to the visiting team and their supporters!

Last edited:
Walking from the Paxton round to the lower shelf then up the stairs to the top and all along the back to the cage by Park Lane. My favourite was the enclosure though, right by the tunnel by the away fans. The bar behind the enclosure was where the following saturdays events were planned. The atmosphere down there was incredible and the noise was deafening. I vividly remember the 2nd division game v Bolton with 50,000 inside the lane and this on a day when there were two fa cup semi finals in London. The shelf was packed and swaying and a cauldron of noise and when Don Mcallister scored the place erupted. Will we ever see the likes again.

My evolution at Spurs -

Paxton as a boy with my Dad.
Warmington House and Park lane
White Hart and Park lane
Various pubs and various terraces
Rudolph's and Paxton - My Golden Age.
Sliding into middle age - Seat on the Lower Shelf
Old age - Seat in the Upper new Shelf.

Wouldn't have missed a day of it.

First game in 1969 and stood at the front of the East Stand. Stood/sat all over the place, but once I "discovered" The Shelf, I didn't want to watch a game from anywhere else. Used to get to the ground about an hour before the gates opened, so I could get right to the front. I got my season ticket in 1982, think it cost £55! Cried when they knocked down the East Stand and we had to sit. Mind you, I struggle to stand for 90 mins now, so I suppose I would have had to get a seat at some stage. Had to give up going for a few years due to budget, but for the last five years at The Lane, I bought someone else's season ticket in the Paxton. But he wanted it back for the new stadium, and I managed to get a season ticket for Wembley, despite being 40,000th on the list! Season ticket in new stadium in West Stand, Gate 23, although I desperately wanted to get one in the South, but nothing available once we were able to buy. Not complaining, just happy that I've got a season ticket in my own name again.

Last edited:
Envious of pretty much every single post on this thread.
Those are some great stories, it sounds amazing to have supported Tottenham back in the day.

I remember going to the Burnley game on K R coaches. We stopped in the services on the way up there and bumped into Man.Utd. fans there and it went off. Police turned up and wouldn't let our coaches go until we paid for the damage.
It took a while till we collected enough money for them to let us go. Ended up leaving the services well late, arrived at Burnley with 20 odd minutes to go.
Still good times though.

I remember going to the Burnley game on K R coaches. We stopped in the services on the way up there and bumped into Man.Utd. fans there and it went off. Police turned up and wouldn't let our coaches go until we paid for the damage.
It took a while till we collected enough money for them to let us go. Ended up leaving the services well late, arrived at Burnley with 20 odd minutes to go.
Still good times though.
The coaches were notoriously late and i remember the 'chaps' arriving that day,was always a welcome sight. Burnley ended our unbeaten run that game, let's hope we end one tomorrow.

Any excuse to put up this tribute again

Sammy Skyves

geezers talk about spirit of 69
they never got a boot on the shelf side
heard about joe hawkins but them were lies
the king of the skins is sammy skyves
he done the north bank
he done the shed
he stuck a martin boot past your head
he's took your end he ain't nice
ever heard the name sammy skyves
oi oh well
sammy did you give them hell
do tell
can you hear the shelf still sing
it's rings
sammy they ask where are you now
do tell
made the front page and he made the books
face of north london no mob mistook
in the age of the skins there was only one name
that black lad sammy and his booted gang
he done the north bank
he done the shed
he stuck a martin boot past your head
he's took your end he ain't nice
ever heard the name sammy skyves

I can claim part responsibility for that song..
The singer wrote after doing an interview with me for his American fanzine.
Though i do know the man himself doesn't like it,so if he is reading this ,eff all to do with me squire :)

Last edited:
Being able to turn up with some mates and after a few beers and slap 5 bob down at the turnstiles for entry. Choose whereabouts in the ground you want to stand (yep, believe it or not, you could actually stand at a football match!) and have a great sing-song, enjoy the bantz and giving as much grief as possible to the visiting team and their supporters!
Tha's what i miss most.Standing next to the people you were traveled& drank with pre match.

Back
Top Bottom