Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes it is. Its greater London,and Oakwood and Winchmore hill are in Enfield proper(as opposed to the Borough) and have London postcodes(N14 and N21) Part of Gordon Hill does as well, i think.
We may be proud Middlesaxons,but we are Londoners as well,as most Middlesaxons are... ;)
Differing opinions on what constitutes London. Some go on postcodes others on boroughs.
Can be a prickly subject!

Differing opinions on what constitutes London. Some go on postcodes others on boroughs.
Indeed.If you say just the postcode,that hasn't really been the case since 1965.Then you have the old County of London.Up until 1965,both Tottenham and West ham would have had Middlesex and Essex respectively in their postal addresses(though i dont think either used it) .Personally i think there are two London boundaries,the square mile and modern Greater London.
Also, the london postcode originally went out to the edge of Enfield (freezywater) ,in the north, Ilford in the east,Croydon in the south and Hounslow in the west,But was scaled back and numbers added as it was deemed too big to administer.
London had a NE and a S post code then as well, but after being scaled back they were given to Newcastle and Sheffield.There are still a couple of NE street signs in Hackney, i believe.

I have a lot of time on my hands...

Well when I was on the knowledge this was a major topic to discuss. London has always been growing, the postcodes were originally parishes often divided by rivers and streams. Many of these are hidden underground.
Traditionally the boundary of the East end is the river Lea, anything east of the Lea was classed as Essex. For decades commentators wrongly describe West Ham as an'east end' club!
There's lots of examples like this all over London.

Well when I was on the knowledge this was a major topic to discuss. London has always been growing, the postcodes were originally parishes often divided by rivers and streams. Many of these are hidden underground.
Traditionally the boundary of the East end is the river Lea, anything east of the Lea was classed as Essex. For decades commentators wrongly describe West Ham as an'east end' club!
There's lots of examples like this all over London.
Have you noticed how the East end has grown(according commentators etc) with London, but the West end has stayed pretty much to its original boundaries. Chelsea ,Fulham etc don't get called West end clubs.

I blame West Ham...

Indeed.If you say just the postcode,that hasn't really been the case since 1965.Then you have the old County of London.Up until 1965,both Tottenham and West ham would have had Middlesex and Essex respectively in their postal addresses(though i dont think either used it) .Personally i think there are two London boundaries,the square mile and modern Greater London.
Also, the london postcode originally went out to the edge of Enfield (freezywater) ,in the north, Ilford in the east,Croydon in the south and Hounslow in the west,But was scaled back and numbers added as it was deemed too big to administer.
London had a NE and a S post code then as well, but after being scaled back they were given to Newcastle and Sheffield.There are still a couple of NE street signs in Hackney, i believe.

Always wondered why there was no NE postcodes in London, when you have NW, SE and SW.

Cheers!

I don't think West Ham have ever played a game in West Ham. Chelsea the same as its in Fulham . Woolwich never played a game in Woolwich 😀
The list goes on, we are Tottenham for a reason, from Tottenham and play in Tottenham got to be proud of that!

I don't think West Ham have ever played a game in West Ham. Chelsea the same as its in Fulham . Woolwich never played a game in Woolwich 😀
The list goes on, we are Tottenham for a reason, from Tottenham and play in Tottenham got to be proud of that!
The memorial ground was in the parish of West ham ,i believe.They played there before UP. Its off west ham lane in Stratford.

Can I settle this by pointing out that the Roman town of Londinium pre dated counties, and so is, of and in itself, an autonomous district.
Therefore the only player to qualify for the answer is Centurion Bennus Muswell Hillus. He is also credited with the ultra defensive 'Tortoise' formation, and won 25 Laurel Wreaths for Angleland up until the birth of Christ, when he became a Christian and retired from international football.
Bloody do gooder.

This however, led to a long lasting dispute about the influence the Romans had on the game, leaving many questions unanswered.

I was born in Essex....which is now East London (Wanstead)

I was at Whitechapel station years ago, on the old East London Line. I looked up and saw an old road sign with NE on it. Couldn't see the number though.
The old metropolitan borough of shoreditch,hoxton and haggerston had n.e postcodes .. if it wasnt so hard to post photos here i'd post some of the said boroughs finest yids circa mid 70s
Either side of shoreditch high st is now either N.1 Or E.1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom