Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was that film that basically forged their repuation or infamy if you prefer. It was unfortunate timing as the club had been doing a lot in the community etc and they seemed destined for better things before the doc which many prople regarded as a BBC stich up. Basically MFC thought the doc was going to be about all the other good things they were doing at the time but it purely focused on the hooligan element and was spun accordingly.

It was after that appeared on TV that the leaflets went around the Park Lane rallying the troops for the Boxing Day 1977 game.

I don't think they have ever shaken it off and some of their fans seem to believe they have to live up to the media perception. In fact they have had 18 bods arrested in the last week alone!

IMHO Milwall, pound for pound/man for man remain top of the hooligan food chain. Just lucky that their support, in terms of numbers, is woeful.

As the discussion has moved onto Millwall, it's given me the opportunity to revisit a couple of posts I made before our FA cup game last year.

I'm originally from the Millwall area and used to bunk into the old Den on occasion. My aunt is 80 years old, has a Millwall tattoo across her back and was banned from the ground a couple of years ago for assault. Never had any 'Wall mates though, everyone I knew supported Spurs, Woolwich or Manure.

I was at this game (1977 at The Den) and as you'll see from my previous post, was a local derby for me! Went on my tod and was wearing steel toed boots that were my workwear (on the parks and gardens for Southwark Council). Being a local, i knew the best route to the ground avoiding any confrontation. Had my laces confiscated at the turnstiles and consequently had to spend the rest of the day clenching my toes to keep my boots on!

In fact I think there is a fair bit about it in TT's book if memory serves. Of course our version of events and their version of events differs somewhat but don't they always?

Not long after that I was working with a few active wackers, they grudgingly admired our lot for taking it to them lol

Although there was talk of it kicking off beforehand, they were surprised to see the Gregorian swamped with yids lol

It was that film that basically forged their repuation or infamy if you prefer. It was unfortunate timing as the club had been doing a lot in the community etc and they seemed destined for better things before the doc which many prople regarded as a BBC stich up. Basically MFC thought the doc was going to be about all the other good things they were doing at the time but it purely focused on the hooligan element and was spun accordingly.

It was after that appeared on TV that the leaflets went around the Park Lane rallying the troops for the Boxing Day 1977 game.

I don't think they have ever shaken it off and some of their fans seem to believe they have to live up to the media perception. In fact they have had 18 bods arrested in the last week alone!

IMHO Milwall, pound for pound/man for man remain top of the hooligan food chain. Just lucky that their support, in terms of numbers, is woeful.

Apart from some of their racist element, I am a little envious at times of them. Proper community club, old school ground, easy to get tickets etc etc

I am not into violence, but love reading about this era. I stood on the shelf with my dad from 1958, till it was demolished. The only time I left there was when Man U took the middle section once and I got a bit of a kicking, thankfully my sheepskin coat took most of the force, and spit. It was soon retaken, but I stayed down in the lower tier for the rest of the game. anyone else remember this happening?

I am not into violence, but love reading about this era. I stood on the shelf with my dad from 1958, till it was demolished. The only time I left there was when Man U took the middle section once and I got a bit of a kicking, thankfully my sheepskin coat took most of the force, and spit. It was soon retaken, but I stayed down in the lower tier for the rest of the game. anyone else remember this happening?

What year was that mate?

I would say it was 76/77 lost 3-1 I was in the west stand enclosure with the half time entertainment(london Irish girl pipers) it looked like man u had the part next to the cage.
This game and my first was the most trouble I've seen at Spurs inside the ground.

We all see the PL as the pinnacle but watching WBA v Villa now and I’ve never seen the Hawthorns that packed or loud in the whole time they was up.

I think I know what will bring back these good times.

Relegation. Poch Out

Yes mate. Not one for the faint hearted that one. Many a story been told about that day if you know where to look.

I wandered around before kick off as I didn’t really know the area and ended up in a pub for a pie and a pint as you do but as I walked in it suddenly went silent and I felt like a gunfighter in the old West
But I thought fuck it I’m tired, thirsty and hungry so brazened it out and kept my gob shut
The bar gradually went back to normal and then a bunch of fucking Yids bricked the place
I remember grabbing my pint and pie and ended up on the floor as the bar emptied and more bedlam outside as the two firms introduced themselves

Old Bill were nowhere and our boys gave a good account of themselves!!

At the ground i ended up down the side above the halfway line but was amazed at how steep it was and was worried that I could be thrown down if discovered

Can’t remember the score but I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got home as it really kicked off after the game

Worst I’ve ever seen by a long way and I include Liverpool away in the cup in the 70s!

I never went to the Old Den but went to the New one in 2001 or thereabouts for a pre season testimonial for one of theirs and Teddy was supposed to play but didn’t

Absolute bedlam from the moment I alighted outside Sth Bermondsey station

Apparently a crew of ICF joined our boys to take on Millwall

Running battles throughout and I took shelter under a bus stop from the hail of bricks until a local plod moved me on!
Never again
Never any Spam there. Was all Tottenham at the Greg.

I renovated properties occasionally in the 90s and employed a builder mate originally from Bermondsey . He grew up with many of them and we used the odd one to help out on jobs . White flight had most of them living in North Kent today .
They were all ok being honest but they lived for it. To some it was their life, nothing was as important
There was a Turkish one " Ezze " who had nothing , still lived at home with his parents at 40 ( the only one still in New Cross) but trouble was his only focus in life.
Some had been around as boys/young men in the mid 70s and had worn those silly surgical masks.
A little sad on reflection.

In the summer of 1980 we played a number of friendlies, all away, so decided to do them all. We began at Roots Hall on a Friday night to play Southend and it was largely uneventful but more than half the crowd were Spurs. It was on to Portsmouth midweek the following week at it kicked off with the Pompey mob but nothing major. Then it was the one we had all been waiting for PSV Eindhoven away. We had been banned from European football since the Rotterdam riot in 1974 but hadn't qualified anyway! This game was played in a town called Beilen and KR did his usual coaches and thousands of Spurs descended on Amsterdam one sunny afternoon. Inevitably trouble broke out with some locals in the city and running battles ensued and all afternoon there were sirens wailing and bottles smashing. We got taken out of the city in a massive police cavalcade for the trip north to Beilen. The locals in the villages came out to wonder at the sight of thousands of Spurs passing by as we had made the local TV news. At the non league standard ground it was chaos as we all stormed the pitch for an impromptu game. I spoke to Peter Taylor some years later about this game and he said the players expected a few hundred followers to attend and not the thousands that did go. Many beers were consumed and the players were mobbed on the pitch after the game. I'll post the remaining games later if anyone's interested.

Another here who went to both Wolves games. Was in the elevated terrace section for the first, which was rammed, but better than behind the goal. The reply was an unforgettable night in the north bank. Not my first or last visit to the north bank, but always avoided the 'entertainment'.
Having sent a letter to the first Hillsborough enquiry outlining what we experienced, I was subsequently interviewed by a police officer for the most recent one, but didn't have to appear in court. We were so lucky that time we were there.
Sent a statement in to the Inquest as requested by the Scouse lawyers, but wasn't called. Would have destroyed them if I was.

In the summer of 1980 we played a number of friendlies, all away, so decided to do them all. We began at Roots Hall on a Friday night to play Southend and it was largely uneventful but more than half the crowd were Spurs. It was on to Portsmouth midweek the following week at it kicked off with the Pompey mob but nothing major. Then it was the one we had all been waiting for PSV Eindhoven away. We had been banned from European football since the Rotterdam riot in 1974 but hadn't qualified anyway! This game was played in a town called Beilen and KR did his usual coaches and thousands of Spurs descended on Amsterdam one sunny afternoon. Inevitably trouble broke out with some locals in the city and running battles ensued and all afternoon there were sirens wailing and bottles smashing. We got taken out of the city in a massive police cavalcade for the trip north to Beilen. The locals in the villages came out to wonder at the sight of thousands of Spurs passing by as we had made the local TV news. At the non league standard ground it was chaos as we all stormed the pitch for an impromptu game. I spoke to Peter Taylor some years later about this game and he said the players expected a few hundred followers to attend and not the thousands that did go. Many beers were consumed and the players were mobbed on the pitch after the game. I'll post the remaining games later if anyone's interested.

Would love to read those.

Back
Top Bottom