Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing as we are on North/South London derby day and my nerves are shredded awaiting ko let me share some memories of the vermin. My first encounter with the shitbags was last game of the season 69/70 at WHL when my all time favourite player Gilly scored and we won 1-0. Gilly hated Bob Wilson because he chose Scotland over England as an international for the sole reason that wilson was too shit to oust Gordon Banks and Gilly as a proud Scot took exception and battered the woolwich slag all game. The next game was the 70/71 at the lane when they stole/bored their way to the title. There have been so many lies written about that game and how many nomads were in the ground. All i can tell you from my memory of it was that the park lane was half and half and i remember a stream of skinheads being led out by the plod. We had played Liverpool in the FA cup 6th round replay earlier that season and the crowd was 56,283 and i thought the plumstead game would have exceeded that but was given as just under 52,000. I do vividly recall looking back from the West Stand outside on my uncles shoulders at the sight looking towards the old White Hart and the church. It was a sea of faces as far as the eye could see.Their ridiculous claim that there were 40,000 of them there is plainly stupid. When i got older we started to go over their place and take liberties. They were terrified to come to WHL too and one night they were humiliated, it was Pat Jennings testimomal at WHL and they turned up in a van! They were sent packing for insulting us for bringing that few. Mid 70's to early 80's we totally dominated them taking the North Bank regularly. Huge mobs of donkey jacketed Tottenham fans at Manor House early doors would then march over to the cess pit. We came from the South and would get on the tube and ask for a 'return to Gillespie Road' as none of us would recognise that stations current name. The streets around Highbury would be tense as they awaited the invasion. We used to go in at the first North Bank entrance as you look from the station and would recognise blokes from over Spurs. Once in we would gather at the right hand as you look out then at 2:50 or so the chant would go up and the Tottenham fans surged across the terrace scattering the woolwich. Was a great experience and was all part of following Spurs in those days if you were 'of age'. Terry Naylor was interviewed once and he was asked what his favourite memory of football was and he replied 'running out at Highbury and seeing our fans had taken the North Bank again'. Legend.
Brilliant memories mate.

My first NLD was December 27th 1976(Boxing day must have fallen on Sunday that year). 2-2 if i recall correctly.Woolwich brought just enough fans to loosely fill half the Park Lane, though they were tightly packed in a quarter of it a short time later,after some friendly Spurs chaps went round there to wish them a belated Merry Christmas.Was in the Paxton then, though for several years after we came up was in the posh West stand as two Uncles,both of whom had done pretty well for themselves(one in building ,one as, er well i best not say too much,but all his mates seemed to have broken noses ,camel coloured crombies and partners a good 15- 20 years younger than them),and always spent Christmas away.Daley Thompson was up there as well one year(not sure who ,if any of us he supported though).

Last edited:
Great stuff Sean, I was at that one too in 76 and you are correct that their support was pathetic that day. When they beat us 5-0 in 78 they took a severe beating outside. I was in my favourite spot in the enclosure where the hatred for them was frightening. Liverpool in 79 in the cup when that vile Mcdermott got that lucky goal was also evil if you were an away fan. I was up in the west stand seats that day and you could see the Tottenham fans mobbing up at the corner of Park Lane, thousands of them. I think that must have been the worst battering of any away fans I have ever seen. Scousers getting lobbed through Chidleys window on the high road. Tottenham was a dangerous place to come for away fans in those days (also more recently).

Great stuff Sean, I was at that one too in 76 and you are correct that their support was pathetic that day. When they beat us 5-0 in 78 they took a severe beating outside. I was in my favourite spot in the enclosure where the hatred for them was frightening. Liverpool in 79 in the cup when that vile Mcdermott got that lucky goal was also evil if you were an away fan. I was up in the west stand seats that day and you could see the Tottenham fans mobbing up at the corner of Park Lane, thousands of them. I think that must have been the worst battering of any away fans I have ever seen. Scousers getting lobbed through Chidleys window on the high road. Tottenham was a dangerous place to come for away fans in those days (also more recently).
Off Topic, i had a chat with a mate of yours yesterday in the Two Brewers

Too young for the 70's but my father never forgets our second division season and our visit to Bristol rovers. Rovers had a sizeable hooligan element and had rows with Chelsea and Southampton but spurs overran the place that day, carnage all day long apparently.

Remember man Utd getting chased up the high road in the late 90's that was genuinely frightening to get caught up in!

Too young for the 70's but my father never forgets our second division season and our visit to Bristol rovers. Rovers had a sizeable hooligan element and had rows with Chelsea and Southampton but spurs overran the place that day, carnage all day long apparently.

Remember man Utd getting chased up the high road in the late 90's that was genuinely frightening to get caught up in!

And at the game vs Bristol City the following season.

The Fish The Fish Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor
What are you memories of Brighton away in the 2nd? Couple of people who i know that went reckons we took over though whole town.
Meant to have been a mad one.

Absolute carnage all day. Dunno what the official numbers were but it seemed like we hard many thousands down there. We were everywhere.

I remember when we first got down there Three of us walked into a boozer to be met with deadly silence and a few dozen death stares! We quickly decided to find somewhere else to partake of a drink or two.

What are you memories of Brighton away in the 2nd? Couple of people who i know that went reckons we took over though whole town.
Yes drove down in the morning from London after reading the headlines in the Evening News of stabbings, arson and all sorts the night before. Think we had cans outside the ground as pubs were either closed by the old bill or too rammed. In the ground we had taken their end and when the game went against us the fans tried to get on the pitch to get it abandoned. Alan Mullery was their manager and his quote was 'Tottenham is a great club but their fans let them down today'. Afterwards was just a sea of broken glass and loads of drunk Spurs fans staggering back to the station. I lost my lift so got a train back to Victoria nursing a sore head. Some Brighton fans say that was some of the worst violence they had seen.

Life’s a riot as Brighton crush Spurs

Worst soccer hooliganism seen in Brighton

I remember as a boy walking around the back streets late morning with school friends above the north lanes and targeted by a mob of Sussex 20ish year olds . Luckily a bunch of Spurs supporters turned the corner and saved our lifes by chasing them off .
I sort of remember it going off in there home end but its rather blurred know. It was an exaggeration that we took over the town but certainly was a huge away following .

Yes drove down in the morning from London after reading the headlines in the Evening News of stabbings, arson and all sorts the night before. Think we had cans outside the ground as pubs were either closed by the old bill or too rammed. In the ground we had taken their end and when the game went against us the fans tried to get on the pitch to get it abandoned. Alan Mullery was their manager and his quote was 'Tottenham is a great club but their fans let them down today'. Afterwards was just a sea of broken glass and loads of drunk Spurs fans staggering back to the station. I lost my lift so got a train back to Victoria nursing a sore head. Some Brighton fans say that was some of the worst violence they had seen.

Life’s a riot as Brighton crush Spurs

Worst soccer hooliganism seen in Brighton

Don't think this fella likes us much.......
"I'd agree with Spurs at home. They were total scum and roamed the town acting like utter neanderthals. I saw some pratt at the beach propositioning a mother with her young child, dropped his pants in front of her and was as foulmouthed as possible, backed by his 'crew' of course.

If I was on my last legs, I would gladly off a couple of that sort with a happy trigger, I really would . I don't see why their lives are any more valuable than any of the defenceless creatures we kill for practically thoughtless or meaningless reasons. Humans put dogs to sleep simply because there's no home for them - why not cull the worst of humanity for a much better cause? Either that, or practise dropping chemicals in their eyes just so we can learn more about toxicity ....or applying a blowtorch so we can learn about how to best treat bad burns ."

After yesterday this is the thread to read! Brings back some cracking memories, lively away days being the order of the day
Using the football specials on our travels, bit windy on the journeys home when missing half their windows
Using a 'Persil voucher' seemed like first class in comparison.
I remember one year we all met at the Rainbow Finsbury Park for the march on the ground, the call went out to hide all scarfs and off we went down plimsoll road singing 'Woolwich' well as luck would have it their lot thought we were Woolwich as well. The fun and games that followed will stay with me forever! The plimsoll arms was rearranged, the goons were running in every direction away from Spurs.
Got into the ground and it was like a home match, clock end rammed with Spurs, the North Bank with a line of old bill half way down it splitting us from them as we had half their own end as well.
Was always fun in the 'North Bank Tottenham'

Spurs always went in the Boothen end at Stoke and there was always a huge round of applause as they were led around the pitch back to the away end after their exploits. One memory that sticks from Stoke (think it was the 1975 FA cup) when the 'firm' were joining the away end i thought they were singing 'we're the bummy Tottenham army' (stay with me) but it was Northern Spurs and of course it was barmy Tottenham army. Silly what you remember really. That replay was played on a Saturday because their stand blew down midweek.We went up to Newcastle in the semi final of the league cup that week too (lost both games) and at the following home game you were considered disloyal if you hadn't been to both!

The away end at Stoke was built with spoil from the pits. Coldest, wettest place on Earth.

After yesterday this is the thread to read! Brings back some cracking memories, lively away days being the order of the day
Using the football specials on our travels, bit windy on the journeys home when missing half their windows
Using a 'Persil voucher' seemed like first class in comparison.
I remember one year we all met at the Rainbow Finsbury Park for the march on the ground, the call went out to hide all scarfs and off we went down plimsoll road singing 'Woolwich' well as luck would have it their lot thought we were Woolwich as well. The fun and games that followed will stay with me forever! The plimsoll arms was rearranged, the goons were running in every direction away from Spurs.
Got into the ground and it was like a home match, clock end rammed with Spurs, the North Bank with a line of old bill half way down it splitting us from them as we had half their own end as well.
Was always fun in the 'North Bank Tottenham'

The charge from the right, as you look at the pitch was mental. Shag your women and drink your beer! :troll:

Back
Top Bottom