Top 4 or glory days???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Me and a few of my mates were having a civilised conversation in Rudolph’s before the game on Sunday over a couple of lemonades and the discussion was what would you rather. Top 4 finish or a trophy this season?

Me personally it's all about the glory and given our history with traditionally being a cup winning side I would rather see us win the FA cup or the Europa league than finish top 4.

So simple question really. Given the chance now what would you rather, Finish top 4? Or win some silverware? Or are you just greedy and want both??

Both are distinct possibilities, winning a trophy would make the fans happy but if we don't get top 4 there's a chance we could lose VdV, Bale and Modrić.

Depends what Silvereare. I still love the FA Cup and our affinity with it, But youve gotta dare to dream. I want to win the CL, (escpeiclly before Woolwich do.) and you've gotta be in it to win it. :gazza2:

That's a good question but I would take Top 4 even though winning a trophy would be amazing for the fans. If we don't get top 4 our best players will leave and we won't attract world class players either. But I see know reason why we're not capable of doing both, we have a quality team with strength in depth. It's just the case of whether Harry Redknapp wants to do well in the FA cup or Europa League.

We are all glory whores, so it has to be the Champions League. As proven by our EL attendances and teams we are putting out.

Players, fans, the money men. Its all about the Top4 finish now.

Plus chances are this year would be the year A***nal don't make it and no CL for them for a few seasons would spell trouble.

Reality is we don't make the CL this year Modric, Adebayor possibly Bale and potentially VdV could all be looking to see what there options are elsewhere.

It's a no brainer for me.

Top 4 = keeping your best players + attracting better players = better chance of silverware in future over a sustained period.

Therefore, top 4 first, trophies to follow. And Ben Ben I too would love to see us win the FA Cup again (thought 2010 was our year).

After the start we have had, would the panel change their minds from Episode 2(?) where the majority said they would take a trophy over top 4?

Has to be Top 4. Build and consolidate.

As a fan I want a trophy, winning trophies creates a winning mentality just as much as top 4. I realise this opinion is old-school but fuck it. We'd have to finish in the top 4 for at least 2 years on the spin for it to have any real effect anyway.

Thelonious Filth said:
As a fan I want a trophy, winning trophies creates a winning mentality just as much as top 4. I realise this opinion is old-school but fuck it. We'd have to finish in the top 4 for at least 2 years on the spin for it to have any real effect anyway.

Appreciate that but for the first time I genuinely think we can do that with the squad we have.

dashmore said:
Thelonious Filth said:

Appreciate that but for the first time I genuinely think we can do that with the squad we have.
I listened to Football Weekly this morning, and one of the guys made a good point about our success so far this season is down to Redknapp playing a weaker side in the Europa League thus keeping our best players fresh. I don't think it's a certainty that if we get Champions League football next season that we'll finish in the top 4 again next season. Redknapp or whoever replaces him has to juggle the priorities better than we did last season.

As a fan I'll always take trophies over Champions League football, I want to see Ledley walk up those steps and raise aloft a trophy more than I want to hear the Champions League music at WHL.

However, as has been pointed already in this thread, we can compete on all fronts this season and I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least reach a semi-final.

Thelonious Filth said:
I listened to Football Weekly this morning, and one of the guys made a good point about our success so far this season is down to Redknapp playing a weaker side in the Europa League thus keeping our best players fresh. I don't think it's a certainty that if we get Champions League football next season that we'll finish in the top 4 again next season. Redknapp or whoever replaces him has to juggle the priorities better than we did last season.

As a fan I'll always take trophies over Champions League football, I want to see Ledley walk up those steps and raise aloft a trophy more than I want to hear the Champions League music at WHL.

However, as has been pointed already in this thread, we can compete on all fronts this season and I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least reach a semi-final.

I am inclined to agree actually. The point about squa rotation in the EL is completely vvalid, but i terns of competing on all fronts, is it possible with such a fragile defence? Rumours about the return of Gallas on Thursday vs. Rubin, but I fear a defence with Bassong and Corluka in it. Even worse, we would have to demote Bale to LB is :BAE: were to get injured, and that would leave us very vulnerable, esp with Walker on the other side.

When is Dawson due to return?

I think it's an absolute fucking tragedy that the "Champions" League has superseded a trophy with such a rich history as the FA Cup. But if it means us taking the goons spot then I'm all for it, it's all they've got left to cling unto...But then winning the Cup would stick it up them too...So it's both then.

Back
Top Bottom