Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worst owner? The Scholar regime nearly ended us a club.

As others have written big difference between great players and legends. A great player was Klinsman who could not wait to clear off after one season and then went full on sentimental about what the club meant to him, absolute mercenary, great player but no time for the bloke.

Legends for me

Blanchflower
Mackay
Greaves
Mabbutt
Perryman
Chivers
Gilzean
King
Hoddle

But the list is endless, ardiles, Anderton, Les and Clive Allen, john white, villa, brown, miller, Roberts, mullery, peters......
Hallelujah, someone else who thinks of Klinsmann as I do. No time for someone who sold us out to the extent that the side he was in fell apart pretty quickly. And then came back to us, only because no-one else wanted him. Me, bear a grudge? Absolutely!

Hallelujah, someone else who thinks of Klinsmann as I do. No time for someone who sold us out to the extent that the side he was in fell apart pretty quickly. And then came back to us, only because no-one else wanted him. Me, bear a grudge? Absolutely!
If memory serves correct, he came back for a few weeks to get some high profile game time before France 1998. He’s quite honest that we were convenient for him on both occasions.

If it was eleven people, yes. There are others. I guess I’ve gone with those who still seem to actively live and breathe Spurs, as if it really means something to them (apart from the dead ones...).

Perryman was Mr Tottenham, he may not have been as elegant as Hoddle, but he is our record appearance holder, club captain for multiple trophies. When the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Roberts and Hazard, all still call him ‘Skip’ you know the amount of respect for him amongst his peers makes him a legendary Spurs player.

Perryman was Mr Tottenham, he may not have been as elegant as Hoddle, but he is our record appearance holder, club captain for multiple trophies. When the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Roberts and Hazard, all still call him ‘Skip’ you know the amount of respect for him amongst his peers makes him a legendary Spurs player.
Don’t disagree with any of that. Unsurprisingly, we have more than ten legends.

I am going to stick to players I saw play
In no particular order
1. Pat Jennings
2. Glenn Hoddle
3. Steve Perryman
4. Gary Mabbutt
6. Paul Gascoigne
7.Ledley King
8.Chris Waddle
9.Harry Kane
10 Ardiles & Villa....Yes I know I am cheating
Special mentions to John Pratt ,Terry Naylor, John Duncan.Darren Anderton, and Ray Clemence
EDIT
And Alfie Conn

Last edited:
Mrs P has it right . Legends are different from the best players to pull on a Spurs shirt. Bale was devastatingly brilliant , on his own could win a game ,arguably the best player l have seen but never a legend and don't have to be players only.

1. Bill Nick
2. Arthur Rowe
3. Danny Blanchflower
3. Glen Hoddle
4. Greaves
5. Dave MacKay.
6. Steve Perryman
7. Pat Jennings
8. Keith Burkinshaw
9. Gazza
10. Kane ( if he stays longer and the club win silver he could be higher)

Cult hero , Alfie Conn
All time dickhead traitor, Campbell.
Most talented but never a legend , Bale .
Moody cunt award, Berbatov .
Likeable manager EL TEL
Best chairman , Wale and Bearman.
Worst owners ? Sugar
Best supporter, Morris Keston
Best famous fan , Warren Mitchell .
Coolest fan , lan Dury , Jude Law
Cleverest fan , Peter Cook
Clever dick fan , Joe Flash (wolfie)
Intellectual fan , Trevor MacDonald , Barns Wallis or Frank Whittle .
Barns Wallis, didn't know that.
:adethumbup:

Worst owner? The Scholar regime nearly ended us a club.

As others have written big difference between great players and legends. A great player was Klinsman who could not wait to clear off after one season and then went full on sentimental about what the club meant to him, absolute mercenary, great player but no time for the bloke.

Legends for me

Blanchflower
Mackay
Greaves
Mabbutt
Perryman
Chivers
Gilzean
King
Hoddle

But the list is endless, ardiles, Anderton, Les and Clive Allen, john white, villa, brown, miller, Roberts, mullery, peters......
Good to see Graham Roberts getting at least a passing mention, he'd be in top 10 for me, at least in guys I've seen playing. Honourable mention for Mr Sedgely if for nothing else being caught bang on camera during 91 semi final questioning Alan Smith's recreational use of his right hand....

Interesting when you start thinking about it as to whether one game can make you a legend, seen Tony Parks get a few mentions, whilst most of his time at spurs he was ridiculed and I remember being at school and putting up with all the London taxi jokes about him, but that night at WHL in 84.... legend. Legend of all time I'm not sure, but at least I'll have something to keep my brain occupied at work today!!

Bizarrely I think of van der Vaart as more of a legend than Modric or Bale
I don't think that's bizarre, legend status isn't measurable in tangible figures, as much as the hipsters would love to show you a heat-map or ball retention stats to tell you otherwise.

VDV loved us and hated the other lot, and it wasn't just for brownie points, when he scored against them he did what all of us would have done, head straight for their fans and give them some.

I don't think that's bizarre, legend status isn't measurable in tangible figures, as much as the hipsters would love to show you a heat-map or ball retention stats to tell you otherwise.

VDV loved us and hated the other lot, and it wasn't just for brownie points, when he scored against them he did what all of us would have done, head straight for their fans and give them some.

I don't see VDV as a legend but he's definitely a cult hero, and like nearly all fans I have fonder memories of him than Bale or Modric even if he wasn't quite as good as either (though it's close).

I don't see VDV as a legend but he's definitely a cult hero, and like nearly all fans I have fonder memories of him than Bale or Modric even if he wasn't quite as good as either (though it's close).
It's obviously a massively personal opinion and if we just put the best players in, we'd have "him" in there.

....no, Scotch is a whisky!

I’m surprised bus-conductor hasn’t corrected you on this as he is vying to be the new Forum Policeman

Whisky is the Scottish version while whiskey is the Irish one

Same tipple though

Players I have personally seen

1. Hoddle
2. Gazza
3. Bale
4. Archibald
5. Waddle
6. Jennings
7. Mabbet
8. King
9. Ardiles
10. Lineker

Number 10 is probably controversial but he always popped up with the goals was leading scorer of hiss generation and won the fa Cup with us. If waddle had stayed it would of been a magnificent side and is one of the clubs greatest what if moments.

I know Blanchflower, chivers, gilzean and greaves should be on this list but I didn't see them play.

Of the current side kane will surely make this list probably at Linekers expense and dele if he stays.

When I got married in 2012 I was "allowed" to chose the table names...

8 tables plus top (I know you don't normally name top but I had to given the opportunity). Rule was no current players (so no Ledley for example). This was my selection:

Top table: Nicholson
Blanchflower
Greaves
Mackay
Perryman
Hoddle
Lineker
Mabbutt
Sheringham

Barns Wallis, didn't know that.
:adethumbup:

What about A. J. Ayer, renowned philosopher of logic? A. J. Ayer - Wikipedia

Apparently had a season ticket at one point as well, so was committed.

And for an additional bonus, it seems he occasionally wrote about football as well (you need to subscribe to this journal to get full access, unfortunately): LRB · A.J. Ayer · World Cup

Edit: I like in the comments section of the last link posted he comes back to one reader who dismisses Hoddle for, as we might say, having no bottle - 'I do not admit Hoddle lacks courage'.

Back
Top Bottom