Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For months now I have been saying that Pochettino was the reason behind our terrible form, poor tactics, losing the players, training burning them out etc.

Then tonight rolled around...new manager and yet again, we start the game and I am thinking "what the fuck are we doing tactically here? We are all over the place!"

Honestly, you could have told me Poch was still in charge and I would have believed you.

United are utterly diabolical and yet we made them look like City or Liverpool at times, surely two managers in a row can't be making the exact same mistakes can they?

Well the answer is, no, I don't think they are.

I think the players are making the same mistakes and by mistakes I mean, being lazy and not showing the right attitude and some of them in that dressing room need a rocket firing up them quite frankly because it's fucking me off.

I don't know if they have just all lost confidence or if they think they don't need to apply themselves anymore or what, I really don't know what the issue is at this point, are our players just seriously overrated because of what our previous manager achieved with them? Because watching that game tonight has pissed me off like no other before, we fucking stank the place out, other than one piece of utter magic from Dele that was, frankly, rancid.

I think looking at Dele after the final whistle he genuinely looked torn up and I think it's because he feels guilty about what happened to Poch and more importantly he knows the attitude wasn't right from some of our players and maybe that is the crux of the issue here.

Mourinho was honest as well, he gave them clear instructions and they failed to follow them, I don't know what it's going to take for this group of players to understand that you can't just turn up to games and expect to win with a half arsed performance, doesn't matter how shit the other team are on paper, if you're attitude isn't right then you will not win.

I keep hearing "the humble one" thrown around, right now we need the old Jose, we need some fire in that dressing room to seperate the cowards from the ones who really want to stay here and fight to make this club one of the greats in world football.

Otherwise, well, we have a very long road ahead of us and one that maybe even Jose can't fix without spending to remove the ones that lack the spine for the job.

Am I kneejerking here? Genuine question? Or is this deeper than just a manager being the issue?

For months now I have been saying that Pochettino was the reason behind our terrible form, poor tactics, losing the players, training burning them out etc.

Then tonight rolled around...new manager and yet again, we start the game and I am thinking "what the fuck are we doing tactically here? We are all over the place!"

Honestly, you could have told me Poch was still in charge and I would have believed you.

United are utterly diabolical and yet we made them look like City or Liverpool at times, surely two managers in a row can't be making the exact same mistakes can they?

I think the players are making the same mistakes and by mistakes I mean, being lazy and not showing the right attitude and some of them in that dressing room need a rocket firing up them quite frankly because it's fucking me off.

I don't know if they have just all lost confidence or if they think they don't need to apply themselves anymore or what, I really don't know what the issue is at this point, are our players just seriously overrated because of what our previous manager achieved with them? Because watching that game tonight has pissed me off like no other before, we fucking stank the place out, other than one piece of utter magic from Dele that was, frankly, rancid.

I think looking at Dele after the final whistle he genuinely looked torn up and I think it's because he feels guilty about what happened to Poch and more importantly he knows the attitude wasn't right from some of our players and maybe that is the crux of the issue here.

Mourinho was honest as well, he gave them clear instructions and they failed to follow them, I don't know what it's going to take for this group of players to understand that you can't just turn up to games and expect to win with a half arsed performance, doesn't matter how shit the other team are on paper, if you're attitude isn't right then you will not win.

I keep hearing "the humble one" thrown around, right now we need the old Jose, we need some fire in that dressing room to seperate the cowards from the ones who really want to stay here and fight to make this club one of the greats in world football.

Otherwise, well, we have a very long road ahead of us and one that maybe even Jose can't fix without spending to remove the ones that lack the spine for the job.

Am I kneejerking here? Genuine question? Or is this deeper than just a manager being the issue?

It is not just one but a combination of many factors. We had the fire that carried us through 3:0. It just ran out of legs tonight. The fire got tired and had us face old issues again

Am I kneejerking here?

tenor.gif

We need to be patient and wait. We were bound to put on a shitshow sooner or later. I agree we have a multitude of problems to sort out - there are positions in the team where we need to replace the players and we will only be able to do that in the summer. Our mental fragility is another and this needs to be addressed for the following games. There's no reason to panic at this point however.

Great post Incomplete_usernam Incomplete_usernam

I may have mentioned it before. But when the owners completely neglect our most promising team and manager in a generation by ducking out of two successive transfer windows it's bound to rub off on the attitude of the players.

Most on here won't acknowledge it, but the summer / winter of 18/19 has taken its toll and it'll take years to get us back to where we were before .

Last edited:
Think it partly comes down to the fact that there are too many players who are too comfortable and are either playing down their contracts and waiting to get out, or the same players putting in bang average performances every week knowing they won’t be dropped as we simply don’t have quality competition for places.

As of now I’m writing this off as just a poor performance overall. Maybe the beds at the hotel were too soft and no one slept well? If it continues over a few games I’ll worry.

Bring in a solid DM In January and get Ndombele playing the way we need him to play and I think we will be a much better side. Midfield is our biggest concern by far.

Tonight was a real fucking eye opener. We need half a new team at least. Impossible to buy and integrate a new defence but it needs it. Midfield is a mess. Not sure how long Winks can be persevered with. I personally think he's dogshit. The front 3/4 were piss poor. Can anyone in this squad string 2 decent performances together. Is it that much to ask?

Poch was overachieving by polishing turds for years to a point people believed he had a world class squad. You could put the likes of Winks and Sissoko in Luton team and no one would raise an eyebrow because that's their true level.

Poch was a great manager that was failed by the club.

All of this is 100% on Daniel Levy.

Back
Top Bottom