Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Glad you mention Burnley away, a game where Toby was at fault in both goals. Part of this new Toby I called out since the turn of the year. The two goals were down to the exact weaknesses Toby has developed. Winning headers in our box and this dropping off an attacker trying to force them down the outside.

Toby 2019 is not even close to Toby 2016.
i may be wrong but i recall it being our total lack of effort on the second ball in midfield that caused us problems and specifically for the second goal. eriksen's "challenge" was more an issue from memory.

I'm wondering how much his injury affected him, because his whole defensive style has changed. Or has Poch changed it for the team's benefit, that actually doesn't benefit the team.

The two goals I mentioned against Burnley, the first, Foyth lost his man, but Toby was the spare man. He simply never got off the ground. If you look at the photos on the internet you'll see you could barely get a cigarette paper under him. The second, he gave their player 5 yards of space inside our penalty area and was turned trying to force him down the outside. He miss hit the shot and went straight to their player who scored.

Both goals pointed to a certain limitation in movement that has crept into his game. In all honesty, how often did he win an important defensive header in our penalty area all last season. Less than the other CHs I'd hazard a guess.
he does tries to send him down the outside but a burnley players runs into him which prevents him closing the space down.

not necessarily disagreeing with the overall sentiment, just that i feel the burnley incidents were not quite as described.

i may be wrong but i recall it being our total lack of effort on the second ball in midfield that caused us problems and specifically for the second goal. eriksen's "challenge" was more an issue from memory.
But a centre half making no effort to close a player down on the edge of our box? The guy lined up a shot and Toby had turned side on trying to block him on the outside. That's something else that makes me think he's not 100% physically

But a centre half making no effort to close a player down on the edge of our box? The guy lined up a shot and Toby had turned side on trying to block him on the outside. That's something else that makes me think he's not 100% physically
see my other post mate, i'm sure another burnley player blocks him off which gives the player room to get a shot off.

Re this blog from the other thread,

Snippets Janssen, N'Koudou, Saliba, Alderweireld, Edwards, Onomah

“The contract offer to him has been removed after his meeting with Pochettino and Levy yesterday and his desire to leave. He will either depart or run down his contract as a squad player.

If he stays, this will be his third season on low wages, having refused our offer each season. He has cost himself £9.88 million (€11.02m - $12.42m) so far and another £4.94 million (€5.51m - $6.21m) next season, if he stays.

That's a grand total of £14.62 million (€16.31m - $18.38m) plus bonuses for being greedy. He was a cheap purchase, he cost us £14 million (€15.62m - $17.60m) in total so we have certainly had our money's worth out of him.”

Boy he’s made a dreadful financial decision to run down his contract - he’s on his way out but never the less I wouldn’t want to see him regret his decisions down the line, his agent has made some bad mistakes on his behalf.

I’d understand if he chose to go to China or the Middle East.

Seems the issue with Toby is the wage demands, I wonder what his agent is asking for? It must be pretty damn high.

I hope we keep him anyway tbh, we will be significantly weaker without him imo and he will not be easy to replace, especially when you consider him and Jan and how well they work together.
Allegedly VVD money and 4 or 5 years. I think our last reported offer was £130k and 3 years, but that report is from April 2018 so that may have changed.

His agent is his Dad...

No wonder he’s fucked up then, getting a family member to do your business is not a good idea.

Dunno about Eriksen but Toby has foregone money as well as a chance to move to a team he wants to go to.

I am sure he didn’t forgo in excess of 10 million for Roma, all around bad decision making at just about every turn for him.

I assume the Roma move is due to the new Italiano tax laws stating foreign footballers don't get taxed on the first 50% of their wages.

From what I recall Spurs met his wage demands and then Toby/Mr Toby asked for more and Levy excused himself to go grip the towel rack in the toilets.

Wish him well but I have a feeling that with a N'dompele/Sissoko midfield our CB's will be practicing goal celebration handshakes rather than defending. :D

Sanchez and Foyth are the future whether it’s now or in 12 months.
Couldn’t care less at this stage, the only reason Sanchez has stumbled is because Toby’s reintroduction to the first team stifled his development/confidence for a year.

If Toby stays, without signing, it should be a s back up.
Sick and tired of this uncommitted old guard hanging on for something better while there are young players who’d give their right arm to be first team regulars.

Fuck them off and start to rebuild this side.

Back
Top Bottom