Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I understand it players values are amortised or depreciated over the course of their original contract. I don’t know if it’s a straight line, set percentage per year or some sort of logarithm. However, I suspect Toby’s value as an asset on the BL is basically negligible at this point

If we sold him for £25 million a “normal business would show that as a profit on disposal.

Take, as an example, a company buying a car for a rep. Say they spent £50k on it. They would depreciate it by say 20% per year so after 5 years it would have a nil net book value. If they sold it for £5k at that point that would be shown in the P&L as a profit on disposal. Same thing for player trading I suspect.

Yeh, don't know the exact 'science' in terms of the rate of prejected depreciation is calculated, but that's generally how I understand things to work.

Could work for all parties tbh...

Factors:

- 1 more season of top class CB service.
- Saves us signing an interim CB while Dav & Foyth mature (evidently a little more breathing space would serve both well). Dier & Davies still waiting in the wings for back-up the season after.
- When you think he only cost us 12m... It's not a masssive blow to the balance sheet if it saves us having to worry about the cost of above.
- He's still on 2015 wages (Thanks Dad! LOL).... More money saved vs replacement.
- He gets to waltz off to Ajax on a free and it's love all round.

Obv. DL would need to concur, but it seems viable to me.

He's on 2015 wages so how much has he lost in the interim by not signing the improved contract, £8-£10m? A big signing on fee the only way to recoup That?

Does anyone KNOW whether this £25m is the last 2 weeks of August or last 2 weeks of TW as they’re different things: TW closes around 10th Aug I believe

I don't know man. When we played them, he seemed genuinely upset about they way they lost. I could see him playing out his contract this year and then joining them on a free.
Ajax won't even pay 80k a week and the whole point of him not signing a new contract with us is that he wants to earn more than we offered (probably something like 140k a week).

I don't know man. When we played them, he seemed genuinely upset about they way they lost. I could see him playing out his contract this year and then joining them on a free.
Think that was just 'cause he's a really decent bloke tbh, and the fact he knew a lot of the players personally.

I reckon the release clause will just be triggered close to it's deadline by some random team who just think fuck it, we may as well if no one else will.

Think that was just 'cause he's a really decent bloke tbh, and the fact he knew a lot of the players personally.

I reckon the release clause will just be triggered close to it's deadline by some random team who just think fuck it, we may as well if no one else will.

Said this before, but why would Levy set up a clause that stands to fuck us in the final weeks of the window and leave us little time to replace him?

I'm as convinced as I can be that it needs to be triggered BEFORE the last 2 weeks.

Said this before, but why would Levy set up a clause that stands to fuck us in the final weeks of the window and leave us little time to replace him?

I'm as convinced as I can be that it needs to be triggered BEFORE the last 2 weeks.

When was the deadline date changed? Thats the only reason I could think of, if it is a fixed date 2 weeks before the old deadline day. Just an uneducated thought though.

When was the deadline date changed? Thats the only reason I could think of, if it is a fixed date 2 weeks before the old deadline day. Just an uneducated thought though.

Presumably a) it'll be based off of the UK trf window, us being UK-based and b) the contract would read "2 weeks before end of trf window" (not quoting a fixed date) cos the specific date would change every year anyway.

...But the window closure was tweaked last summer (ref the WC).

Presumably a) it'll be based off of the UK trf window, us being UK-based and b) the contract would read "2 weeks before end of trf window" (not quoting a fixed date) cos the specific date would change every year anyway.

If it's in the contract it wouldnt matter honestly whether it stated a date or had language saying 2 weeks before the UEFA/FA window closes. Theres no embargo saying we can't sell in August, we just can't register new players after the PL deadline.

The club would accept bids meeting the release clause before the end of the PL window, and would have a fair legal case for rejecting any bids coming in after as the clause would have been negotiated in good faith based upon the PL transfer window at the given time adhering to the UEFA window. And, likewise, if the club refused to accept bids before clause specified date and therefore prevent its actual activation, Toby would have a fair legal case for downing tools and walking out...as his side negotiated in good faith prior to the changing of the date.

Oh, I never really observed the exact date believing it was always 31st of January and 31st of August until it was changed last year. But yeah, the formulation would make much more sense legally.

That’d make sense, I just wondered if anyone knew. Got worried thinking we’d start the season thinking we had him only to lose him without having the opportunity to replace. Only advantage if that WAS the case is he couldn’t go to another PL team.

If it's in the contract it wouldnt matter honestly whether it stated a date or had language saying 2 weeks before the UEFA/FA window closes. Theres no embargo saying we can't sell in August, we just can't register new players after the PL deadline.

The club would accept bids meeting the release clause before the end of the PL window, and would have a fair legal case for rejecting any bids coming in after as the clause would have been negotiated in good faith based upon the PL transfer window at the given time adhering to the UEFA window. And, likewise, if the club refused to accept bids before clause specified date and therefore prevent its actual activation, Toby would have a fair legal case for downing tools and walking out...as his side negotiated in good faith prior to the changing of the date.

Lost you somewhere along the way there (soz if my bad)....

My assumption is that the clause is there to be triggered BEFORE X point in time; after which we wouldn't be obliged to honour the 25m clause and would have to let him walk for free in a years time.

Last edited:
Lost you somewhere along the way there (soz if my bad)....

My assumption is that the clause is there to be triggered BEFORE X point in time; after which we wouldn't be obliged to honour the 25m clause see and would have to let him walk for free in a years time.
Correct. All I was saying is it's all rather inane on whether this supposed clause references a specific date in August, the PL transfer window close date, or the UEFA/FIFA close date. The clause would have been negotiated in good faith on both sides based upon the PL window adhering to the UEFA/FIFA date. Because the PL window changed effectively out of the control of either party, as neither Toby's representatives nor THFC had the ability to prevent or enact the PL date change, then the clause is subject to reinterpretation by the courts regarding its intent.

Assume we signed a contract wherein I agreed to pay you £100/per week to trim my lawn (insert innuendo laden jokes). 3 years later the UK government suddenly adopted a new calendar dividing the year into 89 4-day weeks because it logically makes sense and if the calendar's creators hadn't been fucking idiots they'd have done it to begin with. In this scenario you cannot legally expect to uphold the contract and force me to pay you £8900 annual compensation for trimming my lawn, nor can I legally expect you to trim my lawn 89 times in a calendar year. There's been a change, completely outside of our control, that had altered the foundational environment in which our contract was negotiated. Any clause effected by that foundational change, in this case period of frequency of lawn trimming and the compensation owed, are subject to interpretation and therefore only conditionally enforceable assuming we reach an agreement on how to handle said clause(s).

In the Toby/Spurs case, its logical that both parties agree that, regardless of the specific language, the intention was the 2 weeks before the date at which Spurs could both buy and sell players and treat the clause as such. In reality, if this clause does exist, lawyers for the player and club will have negotiated over the past year to determine how, if at all, to address this clause. Not doing so would arguably be gross negligence.

Back
Top Bottom