Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby is a hired hand, that much was clear when we bought him. He's played very well for us, when healthy, and never neglected his duties to the club when here. We've benefitted greatly from his services at a below market rate for the majority of his contract. If he stays, great. If he leaves, then best of luck.

He was paid a wage to do a job for the club, and he did it. If he's decided for whatever reason that he'd prefer to do work elsewhere, then good for him. He doesn't owe us anything, nor do we owe him.

Toby is a hired hand, that much was clear when we bought him. He's played very well for us, when healthy, and never neglected his duties to the club when here. We've benefitted greatly from his services at a below market rate for the majority of his contract. If he stays, great. If he leaves, then best of luck.

He was paid a wage to do a job for the club, and he did it. If he's decided for whatever reason that he'd prefer to do work elsewhere, then good for him. He doesn't owe us anything, nor do we owe him.

Will - agree the last sentence, but I think that seriously underestimates how good he is and how valuable he has been to this team

Will - agree the last sentence, but I think that seriously underestimates how good he is and how valuable he has been to this team
I think he's been very, very valuable to this team for sure. Given the choice of keeping him or not keeping him I don't think anyone at Spurs chooses the later. I don't think we're looking to get rid - I think we've tried and may still be trying to keep him.

But it's a two-way agreement and he's well within his rights to decide he wants to leave. Too many people view the situation through the lens of A) if he leaves its Levy's fault for not paying him and/or B) if he leaves it's because he's a wage whore cunt.

There's many reasons we may part ways, but if it is the case there's really no villainy...he's a professional footballer making his own career choices, and we're a professional football club making our own business decisions. Shit happens sometimes.

Nonsense.... We're a club on the up.

Gooners squad is absolutely rubbish (ask them!) and they are skint. Meanwhile, Chavs have an impending Trf ban whilst on the brink of losing their star man to cap off an ageing squad and were propped up by loan players this season.....

Does everything really need to be seen on the most doom laden terms possible?

So does ambition equate to kidnapping Toby's kids to make sure he signs?

We wanted to double his wages 2 years ago.

What a shit post.

Are you drunk?

I am not saying we are losing him, that I wan't to or that we shouldn't try to sign him on.

Quite the contrary, I am saying he is so good and so important to us, that the other top clubs should try to use him as a tool against us.

Try, at least try, to understand before you call other posters shit, Einstein.

Are you drunk?

I am not saying we are losing him, that I wan't to or that we shouldn't try to sign him on.

Quite the contrary, I am saying he is so good and so important to us, that the other top clubs should try to use him as a tool against us.

Try, at least try, to understand before you call other posters shit, Einstein.

Maybe YOU should try and understand what YOU are responding to.. I didn't suggest you said those things.

Also, I 'attacked' the post, not the poster.....

You called us fiscally vulnerable and accused us of lacking ambition.

I disagreed and told you why I thought your reasoning was shit.

Debate me, don't get butt-hurt, you big wuss.

Maybe YOU should try and understand what YOU are responding to.. I didn't suggest you said those things.

Also, I 'attacked' the post, not the poster.....

You called us fiscally vulnerable and accused us of lacking ambition.

I disagreed and told you why I thought your reasoning was shit.

Debate me, don't get butt-hurt, you big wuss.

I don't debate with children, who fail to play the ball rather than the man.

Goodbye.

Is Toby... Bronn?
:sonhmm:

bronn-game-of-thrones-new-1b7b.jpg

I don't debate with children, who fail to play the ball rather than the man.

Goodbye.

Evidently you're not capable of reading, let alone debating...

Dumb ass... I said "shit post".... I.e. I DID play the ball.

Honestly you're whining at me not reading properly. You're a mess.

"I'm going to say the same thing that I've been saying for the past couple of years,” Alderweireld said when asked about his future

“The only focus is Spurs, because of this focus I think I had a good season as well. I have one year left on my contract, so in my head, I will play for Spurs next season."

"I'm going to say the same thing that I've been saying for the past couple of years,” Alderweireld said when asked about his future

“The only focus is Spurs, because of this focus I think I had a good season as well. I have one year left on my contract, so in my head, I will play for Spurs next season."

Media translation: "Alderweireld makes United come and get me plea"

Leaving on a free?
I think not Toby

Could work for all parties tbh...

Factors:

- 1 more season of top class CB service.
- Saves us signing an interim CB while Dav & Foyth mature (evidently a little more breathing space would serve both well). Dier & Davies still waiting in the wings for back-up the season after.
- When you think he only cost us 12m... It's not a masssive blow to the balance sheet if it saves us having to worry about the cost of above.
- He's still on 2015 wages (Thanks Dad! LOL).... More money saved vs replacement.
- He gets to waltz off to Ajax on a free and it's love all round.

Obv. DL would need to concur, but it seems viable to me.

When you think he only cost us 12m... It's not a masssive blow to the balance sheet if it saves us having to worry about the cost of above.

As I understand it players values are amortised or depreciated over the course of their original contract. I don’t know if it’s a straight line, set percentage per year or some sort of logarithm. However, I suspect Toby’s value as an asset on the BS is basically negligible at this point

If we sold him for £25 million a “normal business would show that as a profit on disposal.

Take, as an example, a company buying a car for a rep. Say they spent £50k on it. They would depreciate it by say 20% per year so after 5 years it would have a nil net book value. If they sold it for £5k at that point that would be shown in the P&L as a profit on disposal. Same thing for player trading I suspect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom