Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In my eyes it’s simple. If he was going to sign and he wanted to stay, then he would have done so about 18 months ago.

He is gone, it’s a shame.

Just like Eriksen would have signed his contract when dele, son and Kane signed theirs at the start of the season. So he is gone too.

I hope they both give their all in the CL final, what better way to sign off then delivering a trophy finally.

In my eyes it’s simple. If he was going to sign and he wanted to stay, then he would have done so about 18 months ago.

He is gone, it’s a shame.

Just like Eriksen would have signed his contract when dele, son and Kane signed theirs at the start of the season. So he is gone too.

I hope they both give their all in the CL final, what better way to sign off then delivering a trophy finally.

Indeed.

Eriksen should stay though.

Madness to move if we do bolster the squad.

Alderweireld will not get better but would offer advice and experience for Sanchez and Foyth but we do still have Vertonghen for that.

Anyone else checking the wording of this tweet very very carefully?
:levywtf:

I've checked it very carefully.
It seems he's laying his cards on the table and his preference is to stay with Spurs.
However, he's fully aware, that we may not offer a financial package or a contract that works and the club may decide cash in.
I, for one, think he's still a vital part of the machine and one of the best centre backs in the world. Hopefully we'll pull out all the stops and offer him a contract befitting of his status.

Nothing to suggest there’s been any talks in the last twelve months. So nothing for him to say yes or no to.

Taking into account where we are and where we are headed as a side, along with the stadium, training ground etc, he’d be nuts to leave. Hopefully he sees the big picture.

All of the top 6 should be all over him.

Spurs are by far the most fiscally vulnerable and with the most pressing transfer market issues, including quantity.

Taking Toby off us is not only getting a career peak defender on the cheap but also sending a huge signal to players and agents that they have ambition and we don't.

Well, using 'our stadium' is slightly different in tone to Toby's tweet. Then again, who even knows where KWP will be next season - he's not exactly been given much playing time.

I've checked it very carefully.
It seems he's laying his cards on the table and his preference is to stay with Spurs.
However, he's fully aware, that we may not offer a financial package or a contract that works and the club may decide cash in.
I, for one, think he's still a vital part of the machine and one of the best centre backs in the world. Hopefully we'll pull out all the stops and offer him a contract befitting of his status.
I'm not seeing quite the same thing you are, John.

If, for example, Alderweireld thinks that a 'contract befitting his status' is 250k a week (flat, not with a Spurs-style bonus system build in) then it's not going to work at Spurs.

£25m isn't really cashing if our hands are forced, and his value would technically increase instantly if his deal got extended and the release clause voided.

Would be great if he signed a new deal. Our best defender and probably our 3rd best player behind Sissoko and Son this season.

But if he doesn't, I still have respect for him. Handled it all like a pro. Got on with his job and clearly has a connection with the club.

He's given us 4 brilliant seasons, even if one was disrupted massively via injury. And he's been a huge reason we've finished in the top 4 in every one of his seasons.

Last edited:
Money or not, he would be foolish to go to United
Couldn't agree more, a lot further back than us with a lot more to sort out in their team and squad. A few minor tweaks and a bit more luck fitness wise and we could be flying. May depend what happens June 1st and what he see's coming in. Its never too late to change your mind Toby!

All of the top 6 should be all over him.

Spurs are by far the most fiscally vulnerable and with the most pressing transfer market issues, including quantity.

Nonsense.... We're a club on the up.

Gooners squad is absolutely rubbish (ask them!) and they are skint. Meanwhile, Chavs have an impending Trf ban whilst on the brink of losing their star man to cap off an ageing squad and were propped up by loan players this season.....

Does everything really need to be seen on the most doom laden terms possible?

Taking Toby off us is not only getting a career peak defender on the cheap but also sending a huge signal to players and agents that they have ambition and we don't.

So does ambition equate to kidnapping Toby's kids to make sure he signs?

We wanted to double his wages 2 years ago.

What a shit post.

Back
Top Bottom