Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's one player (after Kane perhaps) that I would label indispensable. If neither of them got injured last season, I think we would have been celebrating something big now.
I think he's even more important than Kane.

When we lost Kane towards the end of the season it didnt stop us scoring or winning, we still got 3 pts a game. I'm sure our wins would have been more convincing with him, eg Swansea turned out well, but it was the system that ground them down by the end.

When Toby was injured Oct/Nov, we really went through an indifferent spell in the PL, didnt beat WBA or B'mouth, Leicester home, Wet Spam very iffy.

During that spell CFC went on that run.

When we lost Kane towards the end of the season it didnt stop us scoring or winning, we still got 3 pts a game. I'm sure our wins would have been more convincing with him, eg Swansea turned out well, but it was the system that ground them down by the end.

When Toby was injured Oct/Nov, we really went through an indifferent spell in the PL, didnt beat WBA or B'mouth, Leicester home, Wet Spam very iffy.

Indeed. It's his presence and distribution from the back, that when it's missing, immediately means we drop 10-15 yards. It completely negates how we play.

I agree. Kane comes close in the sense he's a becoming like our Totti - replaceable in terms of goals/creativity but its what he represents.

Cant speak highly enough of Mr Aldeweireld

has it become common knowledge that van Dyke is the best CB in the league because I am seeing this more and more? I know I shouldn't complain but am absolutely puzzled why Man City have not come to us with a blan k cheque (which I hope we would rip up). He is great and improves others around him - good injury record too.

My mate keeps telling me that Van Dijk is the best CB in the league too, not a Saints fan either. Don't know why he is so highly rated because all I remember of him is air-shotting that tackle on Kane when he went through three Saints defenders to score last season.

Haven't seen a huge amount of him but surely Toby is just as good if not better. I genuinely haven't seen a centre back as defensively sound as Toby at Spurs since Ledley himself.

has it become common knowledge that van Dyke is the best CB in the league because I am seeing this more and more? I know I shouldn't complain but am absolutely puzzled why Man City have not come to us with a blan k cheque (which I hope we would rip up). He is great and improves others around him - good injury record too.

No Toby is a much better all round CB than VVD but he is brilliant in the air and pretty quick. I wouldn't swap Toby for any other CB in the Prem.

My mate keeps telling me that Van Dijk is the best CB in the league too, not a Saints fan either. Don't know why he is so highly rated because all I remember of him is air-shotting that tackle on Kane when he went through three Saints defenders to score last season.

Haven't seen a huge amount of him but surely Toby is just as good if not better. I genuinely haven't seen a centre back as defensively sound as Toby at Spurs since Ledley himself.

Toby makes Virgil van Dijk look like Dick Van Dyke , tell your mate to have a word with himself and end the friendship if necessary.

From reading other team's forums, most of the ones that have a clue think Alderweireld is the best CB in the league, so I think he does have a fair reputation with those that actually know the game.

Please pay the man.

I agree that we should pay him what we can afford to, he's absolutely crucial to the team and I don't think I've heard any other opinion on him lately. However, he is already under contract to us until the end of June 2019 and even then I believe the club have a 1 year option on him which they could trigger making him a Spurs player until the end of June 2020. A full 3 years before he can play for someone else if the club so desire.

1. Price tag.
2. Linked with Liverpool so eeee's world class mate - gonna make it their fucking year, lad.

no, its cause and effect....
he's has a good season + southampton area selling club
= transfer rumours/column inches
= rise in stock
= people that don't watch much football think he's the best

Come on Daniel, pay Toby soldiers wages FFS....

DBksufSXkAAhdOX

I agree that we should pay him what we can afford to, he's absolutely crucial to the team and I don't think I've heard any other opinion on him lately. However, he is already under contract to us until the end of June 2019 and even then I believe the club have a 1 year option on him which they could trigger making him a Spurs player until the end of June 2020. A full 3 years before he can play for someone else if the club so desire.

Aswell as his defensive prowess it's so obvious when we don't have him at the back playing those long balls forward. Adds a whole dimension to our play

Back
Top Bottom