Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the problem we now face. We're constructed this team but in the process created a group of players that could all demand upwards of 100k a week.

I have no idea what our financial situation is but if there is any chance we can pay 100k to the majority of the squad we have to do it.

Our current situation isn't sustainable as players will rightly want to go and earn at least near to the going rate for their ability.

I think we're offering pay packages that probably amount to more than 100k depending on clauses like appearances, clean sheets, goals, signing on fees etc. That way we can keep the spirit of the wage structure intact but still offer competitive salaries to keep younger players at the club.

I'm not too concerned just yet.

Give him £100k a week. It's only parity with Kane, and Toby is more important than Kane. We CAN score and win without Kane.

For the 2nd season in a row, the team with Toby (us), has conceded the fewest goals in the PL. Guys - this is Spurs! Currently on 22 goals against. Virtually every season in PL its been 40's, 50's even 60's. We got a 38, but that was the Carrick season and a massive outlier.

The previous season, it conceded one more than Chavs, who won the PL at a canter with Maureen parking the bus the last 10 matches. That was Southampton.

How on earth he wasnt in the PFA team of the year, god only knows. The stats over 3 years now show that he is the best central defender at organising a defence around him. For example, Jan is SO much better now than 2 seasons ago where we had a GD of +5. Urgh.

Give him the contract, end of.
I'm sure we will. There is only evidence to support the fact we will continue to reward our best players, no other club has their top players nailed on new contracts, we upgrade them multiple times per year.

Alderweireld is top, top quality player, there is absolutely no doubt in his qualities and abilities. BUT, he is not the sole reason why our defence is as good as it is. We defend from the top of the pitch, the shape of the team and our overall set-up is why we are as good as we are. It is how Poch has us set-up. Southampton had the best defence during Poch's time there.

I'm sure we will. There is only evidence to support the fact we will continue to reward our best players, no other club has their top players nailed on new contracts, we upgrade them multiple times per year.
Agreed. It's important to reward key players and we've been generous doubling and tripling the wages of Kane and Alli to reward their incredible performance. However, we're now close to maxing out the club's traditional wage structure. There's not a lot of room anymore to continuously upgrade many players' contracts. It's time for the club to start holding players to their contracts.

I think the contract situation with Alderweireld will be sorted. But again, doubling his wages to 100k per week (which he deserves!) leaves zero room for his next contract, which is the one that worries me. Currently it's not his wage demands that bother me that much, it's that he's allegedly demanding a release clause, which Levy undoubtedly sees as a significant road-block.

After the new stadium is completed our financial situation should be much clearer.

Agreed. It's important to reward key players and we've been generous doubling and tripling the wages of Kane and Alli to reward their incredible performance. However, we're now close to maxing out the club's traditional wage structure. There's not a lot of room anymore to continuously upgrade many players' contracts. It's time for the club to start holding players to their contracts.

I think the contract situation with Alderweireld will be sorted. But again, doubling his wages to 100k per week (which he deserves!) leaves zero room for his next contract, which is the one that worries me. Currently it's not his wage demands that bother me that much, it's that he's allegedly demanding a release clause, which Levy undoubtedly sees as a significant road-block.

After the new stadium is completed our financial situation should be much clearer.
Good. Give him the release clause. £800m or one finished stadium

Paying our top players (& Toby is absolutely 100% in that bracket) £120k a week equates to £6.25 million a year per player. When you look at the cost of replacing someone like Toby (if that is even possible) does anyone think that the transfer fee, plus wages on e.g. a 4 year deal would weigh in at less than £25 million...cos I don't.

It's as simple as that to me. We are on the crest of a wave right now & the cost of losing our top players may be more than a few million from the club's coffers. Anyone coming in, of similar quality, would cost a fortune, expect big wages & take time to bed in. Why even risk that when we already have pretty much the best team in the land?

The wages are being stepped up. What ceiling is that? We have never come out and said we have a ceiling, the press have. I am sure this will continue as the club also continues it's growth, the two are intertwined, the better we are on the pitch the more money we pull in, the more money we use to pay players. One thing is crystal clear so far is we are trying to avoid over paying players wages, something that isn't earned. This is the balancing act that we have to negotiate, it's more to do with timing. The threat is a player having is wages doubled. In the case of Toby I am certain it was reported that he was on £60-£70k per week when he signed for us but now its said he is on £50k.

Back of a fag packet calculation would see us earn anywhere from £10-£30m. Assuming the £15m rental figure is correct. The new pricing structure is the unknown part as I've no idea if we will fill Wembley on General Sale tickets at the prices just communicated, we have shown at lower prices we can.
I cannot see that the club would have a problem paying him parity with other top earners at say 100000 per week. He is asking for 110000. Extra 10k a week with add on's (NI & pension) probably equates to 13k per week (guess) or 676000 per an.
It would not stop there as other would then want the same say a total of 8 which would be £5.4 m which is easily covered by Guido's figures of an increased income of £10-£30 m.

Just to add, financial fair play dictates the maximum wage increase across the squad (preset at a certain %, but cba looking it up), so it's a bit harder to do these this and we can't just bump up the whole squad up £100k+ pw

Just to add, financial fair play dictates the maximum wage increase across the squad (preset at a certain %, but cba looking it up), so it's a bit harder to do these this and we can't just bump up the whole squad up £100k+ pw
Ah yes, that thing that doesn't even exist anymore...

The wages are being stepped up. What ceiling is that? We have never come out and said we have a ceiling, the press have. I am sure this will continue as the club also continues it's growth, the two are intertwined, the better we are on the pitch the more money we pull in, the more money we use to pay players. One thing is crystal clear so far is we are trying to avoid over paying players wages, something that isn't earned. This is the balancing act that we have to negotiate, it's more to do with timing. The threat is a player having is wages doubled. In the case of Toby I am certain it was reported that he was on £60-£70k per week when he signed for us but now its said he is on £50k.
The last time we overpaid someone's wages it worked out so well...
:adegrin2:

There are so many loopholes in FFP, I don't doubt that we could find a way round that if we wanted to...

Ah yes, that thing that doesn't even exist anymore...

It does exist and all clubs voted to continue STCC.

This guy explains it better, so...

Premier League clubs have voted to continue their Short Term Cost Control (STCC) rules; updated rules will come into effect from next season (2016/17) and will apply for three-year duration of the next TV deal. The STCC rules first came in three years ago and are designed to help ensure sustainability of the top-flight clubs by ensuring that clubs don't spend the TV deal on hugely increased wages.

Clubs will be able to increase their wage spend by £7m each season from 2016/17 to 2018/19 (an increase from the £4m a season during the current TV deal). Clubs can exceed this £7m cap if they generate increased revenue from commercial income, player trading and Match Day income.

I imagine it's gone up a bit already due to new deals this season

Paying our top players (& Toby is absolutely 100% in that bracket) £120k a week equates to £6.25 million a year per player.

It's crazy that the most average of baseball players earn more than $10 million a season. Yet we are going back and forth for the best defender in the league and one of the best in the world on 120K a week.

I know it's two different sports but still, PAY THE GUY!

these players would have arrived knowing full well they weren't going to break salary records and as good as they have individually been it's the team effort that has helped them excel. As a player you have to be pretty happy with a coach who says "i'll get you in the national squad if you work with me". I mean FFS he has elevated some players to crazy heights. Sure they could get more money if they leave but I could get more money if I travel further to work but I don't as i'm content and performing well. Ok, I know we're talking lots of dosh but percentage wise it's the same and once they get to being millionaires with decent image and sponsorship deals i'm not sure their life would be enhanced by a few more coffers.

If they were to give one player a shit load more money then they will have to do the same for everyone. Personally I think there is no reason the top 8-10 players shouldn't be on the same money. Would be simple then. It would only be the non-regulars or yoof that would understandably be on less.

It's crazy that the most average of baseball players earn more than $10 million a season. Yet we are going back and forth for the best defender in the league and one of the best in the world on 120K a week.

I know it's two different sports but still, PAY THE GUY!

As an American, it takes a level of cognitive dissonance because the structures of the leagues, teams, history, etc. are so different that if I started comparing salaries and finances it would make my head explode.

The most apt comparison is the NHL when you compare league revenues, minor leagues, roster sizes, etc.., but even that doesn't work because its a self-contained league that doesn't work in, or complete with, multiple other leagues and levels without a salary cap. And even then, a comparable player like Toby would be making $150k a week easy.

Or if you really want to get crazy, think that Lebron James makes $635k a week and would be making $1mil a week if there wasn't a cap in the NBA...

Best to separate and not compare.

A woolwich guy I know's biggest bug bear is the tendency for their players (always on about Walcott) to seemingly drop off after signing a contract.
We seem to have avoided that with our mob this year but there's definitely something to be said for keeping them hungry.

Hang on - have we had a better player in his position than Toby? In the past five years, ten years, twenty years? I can't remember anyone.

I remember Mabbutt, Perryman, ... not sure who else has stood out like Toby. He's been for me the best centre back I can remember. (ok apart from Ledley).

If we're going to move up a level, we have to start paying the wages that the players can get at other clubs. As far as I can tell Toby could get way beyond 150,000 a week at other clubs. He's one of the best players in his (critical) position in the world.

It's the same for all our players, we need to up the ante and pay them what they are worth.

Have any of you ever seen a center back, playing for spurs, who is both so strong, commanding in all the defensive duties, and at the same time, so accurate with long cross-field passes?

I just can't believe how people are messing around with wages of 100,000 odd when we have one of, or maybe the, best center backs in the world.

Last edited:
Hang on - have we had a better player in his position than Toby? In the past five years, ten years, twenty years? I can't remember anyone.

I remember Mabbutt, Perryman, ... not sure who else has stood out like Toby. He's been for me the best centre back I can remember. (ok apart from Ledley).

If we're going to move up a level, we have to start paying the wages that the players can get at other clubs. As far as I can tell Toby could get way beyond 150,000 a week at other clubs. He's one of the best players in his (critical) position in the world.

It's the same for all our players, we need to up the ante and pay them what they are worth.

Have any of you ever seen a center back, playing for spurs, who is both so strong, commanding in all the defensive duties, and at the same time, so accurate with long cross-field passes?

I just can't believe how people are messing around with wages of 100,000 odd when we have one of, or maybe the, best center backs in the world.
I just can't believe how people believe the mainstream media

Back
Top Bottom