Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He always has been one of our top earners, £75k pw when we first signed him I believe was figure, making him one of, if not our top earner at the time. Only since Kane, Lloris etc have signed their new deals has this amount been surpassed.
That explains it...

Awesome player!

In hindsight, such a coup!

Amazing, considering how his trf played out, that no bigger teams swooped in beneath our noses.... EVERY richer EPL team needed a top class CB at the time (and, Chelsea aside, still do)!

Also, were Athleticism truly that stacked at CB???

Tbh, the Jan-factor must have been huge.

#AwwwwwwwwSoCute

Last edited:
I'd put it down to the top clubs either having favourites in his position that they wouldn't drop or the fact he was still an unknown quantity at centre half.

Remember, he BARELY got into the Atletico Madrid team and when he did, he was at right back and he also played a few games in DM at Southampton so I imagine one good year in the Premier League wasn't enough for the BIG clubs to go for him.

Right now? As he is now proven, he'd probably get into every single club in world football bar one or two.

^^^Pretty much!

I'd put it down to the top clubs either having favourites in his position that they wouldn't drop or the fact he was still an unknown quantity at centre half.

....Mugs! lol

Yet Spurs (and Saints) fans largely knew the score.... I remember many of us were dissapointed he ended up at AM to begin with.

Armchairs 1 - Pro's 0 :allitongue:

....Mugs! lol

Yet Spurs (and Saints) fans largely knew the score.... I remember many of us were dissapointed he ended up at AM to begin with.

Armchairs 1 - Pro's 0 :allitongue:

I remember when we were linked with Alderweireld and many said it would be a waste because he was no better than Vertonghen and wasn't even as good as Vermaelen.

I must admit, even when he was at Southampton I wasn't that impressed to the point where he looks like a world beater for us - it's quite incredible really. I wonder why we weren't linked when he went to Southampton? How different things might have been if we had Mussacchio.

I remember when we were linked with Alderweireld and many said it would be a waste because he was no better than Vertonghen and wasn't even as good as Vermaelen.

I must admit, even when he was at Southampton I wasn't that impressed to the point where he looks like a world beater for us - it's quite incredible really. I wonder why we weren't linked when he went to Southampton? How different things might have been if we had Mussacchio.

We were linked, but I recall there being issues over scouting suggesting he wasn't suitable in some way.

We then went and bought 7 players, most of whom were completely unsuitable for us, including the alternative to Toby, fucking Cheery Cheese (also pronounced as kirry kesh)

:paulinhobored::capouestare::soldadowatch:

I remember when we first bought Vertonghen there was some talk that we would buy both Alderweireld and Vertonghen at the same time. I remember people saying how we got the much better one and were happy just getting Vertonghen. I think the past few years would be very, very different had we bought both of them together that summer.

I remember when we first bought Vertonghen there was some talk that we would buy both Alderweireld and Vertonghen at the same time. I remember people saying how we got the much better one and were happy just getting Vertonghen. I think the past few years would be very, very different had we bought both of them together that summer.

Alderweireld also probably would have at some point tbf - I think his ambitions have tempered by not getting into the Athletico team, he just wants to play rather than risking his career now.

if he wants parity with Kane, we ought to sign the agreement now.

We miss Toby more than we miss Kane, results show that. Best defender I've ever seen at WHL, and I've been watching since 1970. I think Soton were well-pissed off with how we got him. Didnt surprise me we didnt get Sane off them. The Lieber female sounds a tough nut and Levy wont be flavour of the month at St Marys.

We miss Toby more than we miss Kane, results show that. Best defender I've ever seen at WHL, and I've been watching since 1970. I think Soton were well-pissed off with how we got him. Didnt surprise me we didnt get Sane off them. The Lieber female sounds a tough nut and Levy wont be flavour of the month at St Marys.
You mean Mane?

Mane was purely down to the wages Liverpool offered - at the time double what any of our players was on.

I reckon Mourinho is tapping him up. He's gone a bit overboard with his 'Man U can't buy spurs players anymore' thing. Heard it a few times now. He's gambling. If they don't manage to pry someone away, he can say told you so. If they do manage it, he can portray it as a coup.

I'm getting paranoid. :dembelewtf:

I reckon Mourinho is tapping him up. He's gone a bit overboard with his 'Man U can't buy spurs players anymore' thing. Heard it a few times now. He's gambling. If they don't manage to pry someone away, he can say told you so. If they do manage it, he can portray it as a coup.

Got any links?

I fucking love Toby. And that's mostly because I know him back from when he was at Ajax. Same goes for Jan and Chris. They're all kinda special to me. I've always been Spurs because of my English family (even though my dad's Fulham) and Ajax thanks to my mum's Dutch side of the family.

Jan, Toby and Chris all won championships with Ajax in the Netherlands and I want to see them win in England as well...to start with the FA Cup this year (Chavs are uncatch-able).

My Dutch nephew once was a mascot at Ajax and he walked with Toby on the pitch. That was back in 2010 or 2011. Don't know for sure. But it was a very special moment for him. I believe he was 9 or something back then... He has a big picture of it on the wall of his bedroom. We'll be visiting the Lane soon so he can watch his old mate in a beautiful Lillywhite kit :)

Back
Top Bottom