Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our next centre back signing would be to replace Vertonghen, not Alderweireld in my opinion.

Foyth and Sanchez are more than capable.
Agreed but bodies wise is Toby goes I think the club will have to bring another in. The situation they face of the clause kicking in during the last two weeks of the window leaves us in a little bit of a predicament unless the club is absolutely certain Toby won't be staying

Jan Vertonghen's (extended) contract expires in June 2020, problem is he will be 32 in April 2019. So club needs to decide what length of contract to offer to Jan this summer - I'd guess 3 years is the maximum we'd want to offer (ie age 36 when his contract ends). but if we only offer a year *to age 34) will Jan accept ?

Toby Alderweireld's contract either expires this summer (if the £25 m release clause is activated) or June 2020 (he's 30 now), so again length of contract will be a talking point.

So I'm sure we will have one CB lined up to come in this summer.

Several interesting CB's in youth set up of which TJ Eyoma seems to be favourite ATM (aged 19) who might be groomed over the next year to see if he can step up as an option ?

He is contracted up until 2020.

The clause exists up until the final 2 weeks of the transfer window. If no one goes for him, he stays until 2020 and then leaves on a free.

Unless he signs da ting.
Is it the case that he would be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club in January ?

We have our Toby replacements.
No we do not. Unless you are including Dier, if Toby goes we will have Sanchez, Foyth and Vertonghen. They are already here and part of the squad. 1 injury means we cannot play a back 3 and the other 2 are forced to play every other match. No one else is good enough. If Toby goes he has to be replaced. Davies is required at Lb hence Jan had to play there as he is injured.

No we do not. Unless you are including Dier, if Toby goes we will have Sanchez, Foyth and Vertonghen. They are already here and part of the squad. 1 injury means we cannot play a back 3 and the other 2 are forced to play every other match. No one else is good enough. If Toby goes he has to be replaced. Davies is required at Lb hence Jan had to play there as he is injured.

Sanchez and Foyth are fine Toby replacements. Probably can't find any better who would come to us without halting the development of those two.

Like I said numerous times like banging a fucking drum, if we sign a centre back from now until 2020 he will be a left sided centre half who'll eventually take Vertonghens place. Not Alderweireld.

That leaves us with Foyth, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies and Dier. And a potential new centre back who'll eventually replace Vertonghen. Likely Andersson who we've been linked with for years.

Sanchez and Foyth are fine Toby replacements. Probably can't find any better who would come to us without halting the development of those two.

Like I said numerous times like banging a fucking drum, if we sign a centre back from now until 2020 he will be a left sided centre half who'll eventually take Vertonghens place. Not Alderweireld.

That leaves us with Foyth, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies and Dier. And a potential new centre back who'll eventually replace Vertonghen. Likely Andersson who we've been linked with for years.
He may well be left sided but he cannot replace Vertonghen until he leaves and when he goes we will need someone else. The important point is we need 4 top class CBs and cover such as Dier and Davies are emergency only and needed in their normal positions.

He may well be left sided but he cannot replace Vertonghen until he leaves and when he goes we will need someone else. The important point is we need 4 top class CBs and cover such as Dier and Davies are emergency only and needed in their normal positions.

Andersson is two footed. I'm sure he'll manage. People said signing Sanchez was odd because we had Toby and Jan and that was long before the contract issues.

Not really sure what the problem with Foyth and Sanchez for the right side and Vertonghen and a new centre back is for the left side.

Even then, Davies looks excellent when played there and as fourth choice centre back is more than good enough. In fact he's looked better at centre half than he ever did at left back for us.

Andersson is two footed. I'm sure he'll manage. People said signing Sanchez was odd because we had Toby and Jan and that was long before the contract issues.

Not really sure what the problem with Foyth and Sanchez for the right side and Vertonghen and a new centre back is for the left side.

Even then, Davies looks excellent when played there and as fourth choice centre back is more than good enough. In fact he's looked better at centre half than he ever did at left back for us.
Do not know Andersson but if he is of a similar standard as our other CB's then that is what I am saying. However whilst Davies can play there, he is needed as a LB and unless we bring in a new LB cannot be counted as a CB. It is a numbers game. Our squad has been stretched this season. We have lost Dembele and cannot afford to lose another senior player without replacement.
My original post was because you seemed to be saying on that post that we did not need another player. Now you have clarified that you want a left sided player then we really do not disagree.

I've always said it's vital for us to be proactive with signings in a way that Ferguson was with Man U. Get them signed, get 6 months to a year of getting them familiar with the demands of the club, make the human element of them moulded into what the manager wants and it makes for easier integration into the ethos of what's required.

I loved the signings of Sanchez & Foyth as it epitomised everything I want to see in our transfer strategies. It's a shame we have a couple of loose ends this summer to deal with and I definitely think the reason Poch was interested in Grealish was to integrate him into the squad, see how he coped with having to take his game up a notch hoist coming at no or little expense to the first XI, similar to how Winks bedded in and how Skipp is being introduced.

If it was down to me I'd definitely want to see another CB come in. Sanchez, Foyth, Vertonghen & Andersen just makes it look so much healthier than falling back on Dier or Davies. Our defence hasn't been at its greatest this year so how people don't think a new CB to keep Sanchez & Foyth on their toes long term isn't worthwhile is baffling.

Andersen, Berge, a new full back and a little bit of attacking magic if Eriksen is still in limbo and I fancy our chances staying in and around where we are at for the foreseeable.

We should do all we can to tie Toby down to a new contract. Him leaving for bugger all would be far worse than Eriksen leaving for £80-100m. Toby and Jan are key to our spine now, and the former’s successful reintegration into our First XI has been a highlight in our season.

Hardly Toby's fault. He'd be my player of the season at this juncture, he's the glue holding it all together.

Him, Son and Sissoko seem like the top 3, no?
To me it is Son and Sissoko with Rose as a outlier.

Toby is individually good-great. But he doesn't seem able to lead the line as was pretty obvious when Jan was gone and we looked a right shambles at the back.

That's what makes the Toby/Jan partnership so good. Jan takes control of the line which allows Toby to focus on going 1 on 1 with attackers more often.

To me it is Son and Sissoko with Rose as a outlier.

Toby is individually good-great. But he doesn't seem able to lead the line as was pretty obvious when Jan was gone and we looked a right shambles at the back.

That's what makes the Toby/Jan partnership so good. Jan takes control of the line which allows Toby to focus on going 1 on 1 with attackers more often.
think the problem when Jan was out was Toby & Davidson didn't want to be on the left, whichever one was on the left kept moving in field(towards the right) so allowing space on left

Toby issuing come and get me plea to PSG :tobyarm:

I think he has a thing for cathedrals, he actually has Antwerp Cathedral tattooed on his arm...
cathedraltattoo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom