Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby is better. It's close, but I feel happier seeing Toby in the lineup
Really depends on how you look at it IMO.

Toby is the better individual defender. But Jan in my opinion is better at leading our defensive line and keeping it together. Which in turn plays into Toby's strengths. With Jan next to him to keep things in check Toby is awarded more freedom to roam and to take on attackers 1 on 1. Jan also seems better at making his partner better as we saw with Sanchez last season. Toby and Sanchez have not had the same chemistry as Jan and Dav, part of that is because Toby is played out of position but I do think that the main factor is that Jan is generally better at directing Sanchez than Toby is.

But Toby is the better technical defender, and a few years younger so should also be generally fitter, hamstring issues nonwithstanding.

Toby is better. It's close, but I feel happier seeing Toby in the lineup
Not for me. The two compliment each other's weakness really well but Jan is far better with the ball at his feet, he has the ability to take the ball past a player, carry into midfield, draw oppo towards him. He can ping the ball like Toby too. Big difference between the two is Toby is a better 1 vs 1 defender, especially when the last man.

Toby and Jan are phenomenal together. It would have been so great to pick them both up earlier in their careers than we did. They are one of the reasons I wanted us to sign De ligt so badly. Having him and Sanchez and Foyth develop together would be a great sight to see. Especially as Sanchez and De ligt have played together already. All this under the guidance of Jan and Toby would have been something special. Who better to learn from?

£75 million rumoured for De ligt would still be value to us even though nearly impossible now as it would have our center back positions covered for the next 5-6 years and with still a potential high re-sale value at the end.

I know i'm dreaming.

Toby and Jan are phenomenal together. It would have been so great to pick them both up earlier in their careers than we did. They are one of the reasons I wanted us to sign De ligt so badly. Having him and Sanchez and Foyth develop together would be a great sight to see. Especially as Sanchez and De ligt have played together already. All this under the guidance of Jan and Toby would have been something special. Who better to learn from?

£75 million rumoured for De ligt would still be value to us even though nearly impossible now as it would have our center back positions covered for the next 5-6 years and with still a potential high re-sale value at the end.

I know i'm dreaming.

What would Toby teach De Ligt? De Ligt could teach Toby how to head a ball or deal with a fast player 1 on 1 however.

A lot of things I imagine. Experience is the one thing De ligt lacks. A young footballer would do well to learn from an experienced pro.

In the past year De Ligt has marked most of the top strikers in World football out of the game.

How do you get better than that with experience?

He’s up for grabs for no less than 25million in summer,correct? but just let’s say nobody comes in for him,yes a long shot I know but let’s just say that’s the scenario then what?

He’s up for grabs for no less than 25million in summer,correct? but just let’s say nobody comes in for him,yes a long shot I know but let’s just say that’s the scenario then what?

Then he stays and goes for free the following year.

Is he contracted again for another year? I mean he has to stay for that period unless we want rid!

He is contracted up until 2020.

The clause exists up until the final 2 weeks of the transfer window. If no one goes for him, he stays until 2020 and then leaves on a free.

Unless he signs da ting.

He is contracted up until 2020.

The clause exists up until the final 2 weeks of the transfer window. If no one goes for him, he stays until 2020 and then leaves on a free.

Unless he signs da ting.

Tricky for the club if that's the case regarding when his clause kicks in. Do we try and tie up a player we are interested in or let other clubs go for him knowing there's a chance a club doesn't come in for Toby and we have overloaded our CB options.

There'll be drama with this one I'm sure

Tricky for the club if that's the case regarding when his clause kicks in. Do we try and tie up a player we are interested in or let other clubs go for him knowing there's a chance a club doesn't come in for Toby and we have overloaded our CB options.

We have our Toby replacements.

True and not true.

Of the current squad Dier, Davies, Wanyama (if still here) and Skipp can play as CB.

So if we are unsure whether Toby is actually going until the last moment, Spurs can look to increase the squad size by signing another CM/CB, RB/CB or LB/CB etc

But in practice I think we'll get some notice and decide who we want to sign as a CB - and we could even sign a CB and ask Jan to play LWB sometimes !

With the amount of game time our 4 CBs have seen this season if say we probably need someone to bring in should Toby leave. Both Davies & Dier have good versatility though.

Either way it'll be really fasvinfasci to see what happens with our dealings this summer. A fair old amount of potential movers and shakers out of the club

Our next centre back signing would be to replace Vertonghen, not Alderweireld in my opinion.

Foyth and Sanchez are more than capable.

Our next centre back signing would be to replace Vertonghen, not Alderweireld in my opinion.

Foyth and Sanchez are more than capable.

Agreed but bodies wise is Toby goes I think the club will have to bring another in. The situation they face of the clause kicking in during the last two weeks of the window leaves us in a little bit of a predicament unless the club is absolutely certain Toby won't be staying

Back
Top Bottom