Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In comparison to our rivals it's certainly not far off it. We cannot control a game to save our life, teams just waltz through our midfield press and we have little to no guile or creativity in there since Dembélé has began to decline. Dier has been horrific this season, Wanyama and Dembélé are pretty much done, Winks is excellent on the ball but his pressing and positional sense are extremely poor, and Sissoko is Sissoko.
Someone on here recently posted the ball retention stats from midfielders this season in the league and there wasn't one Spurs player on the list. There really is no positive way to spin that, it's shocking.

I'll agree.

I don't think our midfield is bad when everyone is on their game but we've had some bad problems there this season. Like you say at times it's been so easy for even the likes of Fulham and Brighton to cIss problems for us through there.

I think changing to a 433 permanently would be the way forward. More numbers in there and it also suits our personnel. Dier is better in one. Winks is better in one. Sissoko is better in one. Dele can play there. Eriksen can play there. Wanyama would be better with 2 men either side of him now he's on the decline etc.

I posted that stat by the way. 400+ mins played with amount of chances created and not a single Spurs central midfielder on there. Though Winks has only just scraped past the 400 minute mark and some of those off the bench so wouldn't be surprised to see him on the list at the end of the season. I think if we continue to play Dele there he'll make the list too.

Just need to build our team and sign the right guys that fit that 433 now.

I watch him play a lot of times. He was average for Barcelona, then sent to Inter and Inter didn't try to keep him even though they could have him for 40M.
If you wanna be in top 4, he's alright, but if you wanna compete for trophies, you have to sign better players.

I watch him play a lot of times. He was average for Barcelona, then sent to Inter and Inter didn't try to keep him even though they could have him for 40M.
If you wanna be in top 4, he's alright, but if you wanna compete for trophies, you have to sign better players.

Spaletti wanted other options, that's all (Namely Nainggolan). This is a guy who also got rid of Paredes because he didn't suit a formation and we all know Paredes would walk into our team with ease.

In comparison to our rivals it's certainly not far off it. We cannot control a game to save our life, teams just waltz through our midfield press and we have little to no guile or creativity in there since Dembélé has began to decline. Dier has been horrific this season, Wanyama and Dembélé are pretty much done, Winks is excellent on the ball but his pressing and positional sense are extremely poor, and Sissoko is Sissoko.
Someone on here recently posted the ball retention stats from midfielders this season in the league and there wasn't one Spurs player on the list. There really is no positive way to spin that, it's shocking.

I'm not here to spin positive; I'm merely rebuffing your negative spin.

"HOPELESS"

...Compared to our rivals?

Hardly gonna waste time being envious of City. They ought to be head and shoulders above given their brazen doping....

Chavs are finally sorting their act out in the center, but they've thrown a tonne of shit at the wall to get there... Jorginho, Kante, Fabregas, Barkley, Drinkwater + Kovacic & RLC... That's over £200m right there.

Despite spending £110m in the summer, Liverpool aren't "controlling" games; in fact I think any accusations about us currently 'not firing' can equally be leveled at them.

United? Meh... Might look good on paper, but look at the state of 'em.

Arse? Meh... Doesn't even look good on paper.

Our midfield is "hopeless" but we keep on winning. Maybe it's just your definition of "hopeless" that is flawed....

Dier: Track record says he can play better = HOPE.
Winks: Still young. Will improve = HOPE.
Sissoko: Playing the best football of his tenure; will he continue to improve? = HOPE.
Wanyama: I appreciate the concern here; but it's not a dead cert. that he's finished. One could choose to be HOPEFUL, no?
Dembele: Sure his cameo's will still prove useful over the course of the season.
Skip/Amos: HOPE for the future?

Sure there's distinct scope for improvement, but your proclamations are OTT.

I'm not here to spin positive; I'm merely rebuffing your negative spin.

"HOPELESS"

...Compared to our rivals?

Hardly gonna waste time being envious of City. They ought to be head and shoulders above given their brazen doping....

Chavs are finally sorting their act out in the center, but they've thrown a tonne of shit at the wall to get there... Jorginho, Kante, Fabregas, Barkley, Drinkwater + Kovacic & RLC... That's over £200m right there.

Despite spending £110m in the summer, Liverpool aren't "controlling" games; in fact I think any accusations about us currently 'not firing' can equally be leveled at them.

United? Meh... Might look good on paper, but look at the state of 'em.

Arse? Meh... Doesn't even look good on paper.

Our midfield is "hopeless" but we keep on winning. Maybe it's just your definition of "hopeless" that is flawed....

Dier: Track record says he can play better = HOPE.
Winks: Still young. Will improve = HOPE.
Sissoko: Playing the best football of his tenure; will he continue to improve? = HOPE.
Wanyama: I appreciate the concern here; but it's not a dead cert. that he's finished. One could choose to be HOPEFUL, no?
Dembele: Sure his cameo's will still prove useful over the course of the season.
Skip/Amos: HOPE for the future?

Sure there's distinct scope for improvement, but your proclamations are OTT.
Perhaps hopeless was the wrong word to use on my part, but I still stand behind all the points I made. Conversely though your definition of "putting a positive spin" is clearly skewed as well, as that's what the majority of your post is mate, just happy clapping nonsense.

Perhaps hopeless was the wrong word to use on my part, but I still stand behind all the points I made. Conversely though your definition of "putting a positive spin" is clearly skewed as well, as that's what the majority of your post is mate, just happy clapping nonsense.

Meh. How underwhelmingly cliched.

You seem to have entirely ignored this: "there's distinct scope for improvement"

By all means, dissect the factual accuracy of what I've said, but merely saying this doesn't make it so.

Fair points in the past?

There's absolutely no fair point in that Alderweireld tweet.
Both really

He didn't have to say it like a smarmy cunt but it's true that we have needed Toby this season, don't see what's to disagree about? Foyth/Dier/Sanchez combinations would most likely have resulted in us not doing as well.

The injury point also points out some hypocrisy. Toby has had better seasons than Lamela ever has and although much younger Lamela's injury record is way worse.

Both really

He didn't have to say it like a smarmy cunt but it's true that we have needed Toby this season, don't see what's to disagree about? Foyth/Dier/Sanchez combinations would most likely have resulted in us not doing as well.

The injury point also points out some hypocrisy. Toby has had better seasons than Lamela ever has and although much younger Lamela's injury record is way worse.

No one WANTED Toby sold. If he was sold we all wanted it to be in exchange for someone or abroad.

No one EVER said they wanted Toby sold because he's injury prone (which he isn't). If he was sold it would he because he's running his contract down and we wanted the best possible fee for him.

We LOVE Lamela because of his passion whenever he puts on that shirt and the fact that from knowledge he hasn't rejected contract offers or intended to run his contract down. Not sure where the hypocrisy is.

No one's views have changed at all. When it was obvious no one else wanted Toby and he was staying we all continued to back him and he all makes our team every week.

What people did say :

- we coped perfectly well without Toby last season.
- he didn't look as good post injury.

No one WANTED Toby sold. If he was sold we all wanted it to be in exchange for someone or abroad.

No one EVER said they wanted Toby sold because he's injury prone (which he isn't). If he was sold it would he because he's running his contract down and we wanted the best possible fee for him.

We LOVE Lamela because of his passion whenever he puts on that shirt and the fact that from knowledge he hasn't rejected contract offers or intended to run his contract down. Not sure where the hypocrisy is.

No one's views have changed at all. When it was obvious no one else wanted Toby and he was staying we all continued to back him and he all makes our team every week.

What people did say :

Bollocks on so many levels

Strawman argument too. Yeah no one wanted him sold purely for injury reasons but that was listed as a big reason by many.

People were talking like he fell off cos he had some dodgy games end of the season and were implying we're better off without and you read this forum a lot so you're full of shit right now.

The hypocrisy still stands for the original reason I said. And if Lamela is always injured how is he gona reject contracts and force moves? Daft comment.

Not seeing everyone back him. A dodgy game and apparently Sanchez or Foyth should play instead.

It was Walker all over again

What people did say :

One of those posts where I’d like to be able to agree more than once.

Bollocks on so many levels

Strawman argument too. Yeah no one wanted him sold purely for injury reasons but that was listed as a big reason by many.

People were talking like he fell off cos he had some dodgy games end of the season and were implying we're better off without and you read this forum a lot so you're full of shit right now.

The hypocrisy still stands for the original reason I said. And if Lamela is always injured how is he gona reject contracts and force moves? Daft comment.

Not seeing everyone back him. A dodgy game and apparently Sanchez or Foyth should play instead.

It was Walker all over again

No. A few idiots in our fanbase may have wanted him sold. That's not happy clappers, like the oxygen thief of a twitter poster suggested.

I've read it all back. Perhaps you should to? People said we dealt WELL without him. But those are facts.

I'm not sure what's hypocritical. Unless you can tell me what is?

The situations are nothing alike. Lamela has signed two new deals since he's been with us. Has come back from a career threatening injury, has been criticised by almost every part of our fanbase and still has his haters now. Works hard everytime he puts that shirt on, is on the bench more than he starts and is liked for that desire he shows. Whereas Toby has started more games than almost every other centre back we've had over the last 4 years. Hasn't signed a new deal despite being offered a handsome sum, isn't disliked by anyone and known as one of the best centre backs in the league.

Or are you saying that every single "happy clapper" (lol at that pathetic term by the way) wanted him sold because he was injured for 2 months? Like the tweet suggested.

It's the Walker situation over again? Walker wanted to leave. He literally told Poch he wanted out. Why should ANY fan, let alone "happy clappers" want that to stay?

Toby stayed supporting the team (though more like he has an excellent PR team). Continued to work for the club. Plays well when given the chance and the millions of reasonable fans in our fanbase support him. Like we've always done.

We will have to agree to disagree. I can't really add much further on that after reading alot of the posts from last summer regarding Toby. You agree with the morons tweet. I disagree with it.

Last edited:
No. A few idiots in our fanbase may have wanted him sold. That's not happy clappers, like the oxygen thief of a twitter poster suggested.

I've read it all back. Perhaps you should to? People said we dealt WELL without him. But those are facts.

I'm not sure what's hypocritical. Unless you can tell me what is?

The situations are nothing alike. Lamela has signed two new deals since he's been with us. Has come back from a career threatening injury, has been criticised by almost every part of our fanbase and still has his haters now. Works hard everytime he puts that shirt on, is on the bench more than he starts and is liked for that desire he shows. Whereas Toby has started more games than almost every other centre back we've had over the last 4 years. Hasn't signed a new deal despite being offered a handsome sum, isn't disliked by anyone and known as one of the best centre backs in the league.

Or are you saying that every single "happy clapper" (lol at that pathetic term by the way) wanted him sold because he was injured for 2 months? Like the tweet suggested.

It's the Walker situation over again? Walker wanted to leave. He literally told Poch he wanted out. Why should ANY fan, let alone "happy clappers" want that to stay?

Toby stayed supporting the team (though more like he has an excellent PR team). Continued to work for the club. Plays well when given the chance and the millions of reasonable fans in our fanbase support him. Like we've always done.

We will have to agree to disagree. I can't really add much further on that after reading alot of the posts from last summer regarding Toby. You agree with the morons tweet. I disagree with it.

Yes happy clapper is a dumb term used by both sides, pro and anti Poch/Levy.

So you admit people wanted him sold I agree with that too.

Yes people said we dealt well without him and then drew the conclusion that we don't need him. So that's a fact and then an opinion m8.

I like Lamela. But when he's getting into team of the year and recognised as one of the best in his position then we can start wanking over his loyalty.

I mean it's the Walker situation in how people said Trippier was better and Walker was overrated.

Stay back pedalling

Yes happy clapper is a dumb term used by both sides, pro and anti Poch/Levy.

So you admit people wanted him sold I agree with that too.

Yes people said we dealt well without him and then drew the conclusion that we don't need him. So that's a fact and then an opinion m8.

I like Lamela. But when he's getting into team of the year and recognised as one of the best in his position then we can start wanking over his loyalty.

I mean it's the Walker situation in how people said Trippier was better and Walker was overrated.

Stay back pedalling

I don't know every Spurs fan personally. So I assume there's moronic fans out there who would want every single one of our players sold for some odd reason. I don't remember anyone on here though WANTING him sold. Just wanting the best price for him if he was sold, Martial in exchange or sold abroad. Almost everyone wanted him to just sign a new deal.

No one is wanking over Lamelas loyalty. We just appreciate players who work hard and play for the shirt.

Again, no one has said we have better defenders than Toby (apart from Vertonghen). Again, you seem to be getting "Sanchez done well in Tobys absence" and "Sanchez is better than Alderweireld" mixed up. If you can find.a post on here from anyone saying Sanchez is better than Alderweireld feel free to quote it because I couldn't find anything. Just praise for Sanchez and how we dealt well without Toby.

Trippier > Walker comments were very premature though. Stats since will show you that there is a case for truth. I don't agree with it though nor do I see comparisons with Sanchez/Alderweireld as I don't recall anyone ever saying with serious intent that Sanchez is better than Toby.

Finito.

Back
Top Bottom