Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby won't accept a new contract with a pay increase. We don't know the details, but it looks like the new offer would double his wages, he wants to triple them. Absolutely his right to do that.
Would you (A) increase the offer, (B) sit tight for now (he has a year and a half on his contract plus the club has the option to extend for another year if nobody offers £25 million) or (C) sell him?

A year from now we will probably have to take half the fee compared to the summer, and it looks like Poch thinks Toby's head is not in the right place to play right now anyway ... and we don't have that many games left this season. So I think I would go for C.

Yes, I agree with you.
I am not arguing that we should keep him at any cost or let him go or whatever.

I acknowledge that he might leave in summer. I am arguing against the impact of the fact. Arguing that some people say that this will have virtually no impact while actually I believe it will be a blow for us (not catastrophe, but we will still miss such player).

This is a good read on the Toby situation, for all those saying pay him what he wants, the ramifications are that the club would have to pay around £42m PA more in salaries so that other players have some parity to Toby’s pay.

DY_cJ45XkAAg7Nm.jpg

Would you (A) increase the offer, (B) sit tight for now (he has a year and a half on his contract plus the club has the option to extend for another year if nobody offers £25 million) or (C) sell him?
I think I would go for C.
So you'd go for C. The small club option.
The one that says to all our other players Hey, if you want to maximise your earnings fella, just put your head in the wrong fucking place for while like Walker and and Toby and Spurs will make your dreams come true.
Ridiculous.

Toby won't accept a new contract with a pay increase. We don't know the details, but it looks like the new offer would double his wages, he wants to triple them. Absolutely his right to do that.

A year from now we will probably have to take half the fee compared to the summer, and it looks like Poch thinks Toby's head is not in the right place to play right now anyway ... and we don't have that many games left this season. So I think I would go for C.

Would go (b) all day long. Another season and we still get £25m IF he goes. A lot more valuable than an extra £20-30m we might be able to get by selling this summer which in reality we'd have to recycle on a new player anyhow.

The one that says to all our other players Hey, if you want to maximise your earnings fella, just put your head in the wrong fucking place for while like Walker and and Toby and Spurs will make your dreams come true.
Ridiculous.
No big clubs sell their players of course. Would you like me to get the list out again?

Ridiculous.
So what one of those options would you go for?

A bit puzzled, Toby is not doing a Walker and asking to leave. He wants a new contract, the club would want him to stay one assumes, he is asking for more money, surely the club will pay him more than his current wages so you would expect both parties to meet somewhere. Surely he would want to play in the new stadium. Is Toby being awkward and asking silly money or is there something else?!

A bit puzzled, Toby is not doing a Walker and asking to leave. He wants a new contract, the club would want him to stay one assumes, he is asking for more money, surely the club will pay him more than his current wages so you would expect both parties to meet somewhere. Surely he would want to play in the new stadium. Is Toby being awkward and asking silly money or is there something else?!

He hasn’t signed a new contract.

Every week he doesn’t he’s literally missing out on 10s of thousands of pounds. And it’s his choice. The club want to pay him more.

Nearly every other first team player has improved their terms in the same timescale. One even improved his terms then left anyway!

He’s gone.

The only question really is to who and for how much.

Back
Top Bottom