Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's certainly a downgrade.

Would much rather Giminez on a free.

But then what happens to Foyth, Sanchez, CCV? These need experience and signing a 5th centre back does nothing.
If Poch thinks Foyth can step up next season then we don't a replacement for Toby ... Sanchez starts, Foyth and Dier back him up.
What we would need is back up for Vertonghen, since all those are right footed.

If he really leaves, the only available option on the market who isn't a downgrade would be de Vrij.
GettyImages-837971238.jpg

We already have Toby Alderweireld's replacement IF he were to leave.

What exactly do people think we bought Sanchez for? We buy a 25/26 year old CB where does that leave Sanchez? After a great first season. Waiting for another 3-4 years for Verts to retire?

Sanchez will be a better player next year. He is our replacement.

Three at the back. It's our best system.

Lloris
Sanchez - de Vrij - Vertonghen
Aurier - Wanyama - Dembele - Davies
Eriksen - Son
Kane
I agree, Sanchez is having a very strong first PL season. Still need a quality CB if Toby was to leave. Foyth will stay and CCV will be sold.

You’re a fucking idiot. I’m out.
I agree I am a fucking idiot, but what’s telling is that you wrapped your own argument tightly around your own bollocks and can’t think of a way to untangle them.
So you start being abusive.

It’s not the first time. Anyway I get it.....You disagree that selling Toby will not weaken us. But you agree that if we replace him it will not weaken us.

Try and think long and hard about that, and then consider who’s the fucking idiot.

Three at the back. It's our best system.

Lloris
Sanchez - de Vrij - Vertonghen
Aurier - Wanyama - Dembele - Davies
Eriksen - Son
Kane
I agree, Sanchez is having a very strong first PL season. Still need a quality CB if Toby was to leave. Foyth will stay and CCV will be sold.
We don't play like that.
We have midfielders who can drop in between the centre backs when we go forward to make a 3 ... Dier, Wanyama.

I think we'd all prefer Toby to stay as he IS our best defender.

If he does go then we'd prefer he went abroad.

I'm disappointed that he seems to be on his way but Poch will have a plan on how to replace him and we move on.

We would definitely need a new CB. I like our existing selection but they can definitely be upgraded, the Juve matches convinced me of this.
Jan’s better and can play LB so nerrrr ner ner nerrrrrrrr nerrrrr

An isolated moment of time......Its April next week, and he was injured in October. He is on course to be absent for 75% of this season. Yet the team is on course for one of its best finishes since 1984.

He is nearly 30, and has had a major injury....yes he will be fit again. Who knows when the relapse comes though. Maybe it will be Ledley King again, only on 180k sitting on the physios bench and dreaming about other clubs.

People keep likening it to Kane.....while talking about isolating events. Hows that for isolating an event, talking about a 30-40 goal a season 23yr old academy product as if its the same with Toby, a 29yr old CB.
We already have Jan, we´ve had King, we have Sanchez and Foyth who both show traits of being future high end CBs. How is it the same as replacing Kane?

Toby is replacable, Kane isnt. Unless you think otherwise.

I agree that the period has been longer and I was not meaning to compare them one-on-one.
I brought it up as a principle. Because you said that "as he is not fit NOW (no, not about 75% of the season, talking about usefulness right right now if in form; and that you put so much emphasis on PLAYERS form in current moment), he is not useful to the team" if that is what you really mean, then I just pointed out that Kane is also not fit. Don't go deeper than that and say if that is what you mean?

I totally agree that we have done well without Toby and most likely we would have not done as well without Kane. But that does not mean you could disregard player completely based on the current situation.

P.S as you like to bloat around with this "best finish" talk, then may I remind you that two years in prior we were actually fighting for the title. Once missed out 2nd place very nearly and then actually finished in 2nd place. In both those seasons Toby was our best defender. Currently we sit 4 points from 2nd in 4th place, so we have not really guaranteed 2nd place, have we ? :)

But okay, I assume there is no point to argue with person who says that extremely unproven Moura is more important player (despite the fact that actually Toby has put in a lot more into current season as well (played 900 minutes of EPL football vs Moura 31; but hey! it is only the current minute form that matters, right)

I agree I am a fucking idiot, but what’s telling is that you wrapped your own argument tightly around your own bollocks and can’t think of a way to untangle them.
So you start being abusive.

It’s not the first time. Anyway I get it.....You disagree that selling Toby will not weaken us. But you agree that if we replace him it will not weaken us.

Try and think long and hard about that, and then consider who’s the fucking idiot.
Yes! If we sell him and don’t replace him with a similar strength of player, we will be weaker. If we replace him with a similar strength of player, we won’t be.

However, you said “.....its irrelevent whether you think will replace him or not”, but it’s really not, is it?

Anyway, apologies for saying I was put and responding again, that’s definitely me this time.

I agree that the period has been longer and I was not meaning to compare them one-on-one.
I brought it up as a principle. Because you said that "as he is not fit NOW (no, not about 75% of the season, talking about usefulness right right now if in form; and that you put so much emphasis on PLAYERS form in current moment), he is not useful to the team" if that is what you really mean, then I just pointed out that Kane is also not fit. Don't go deeper than that and say if that is what you mean?

I totally agree that we have done well without Toby and most likely we would have not done as well without Kane. But that does not mean you could disregard player completely based on the current situation.

P.S as you like to bloat around with this "best finish" talk, then may I remind you that two years in prior we were actually fighting for the title. Once missed out 2nd place very nearly and then actually finished in 2nd place. In both those seasons Toby was our best defender. Currently we sit 4 points from 2nd in 4th place, so we have not really guaranteed 2nd place, have we ? :)

But okay, I assume there is no point to argue with person who says that extremely unproven Moura is more important player (despite the fact that actually Toby has put in a lot more into current season as well (played 900 minutes of EPL football vs Moura 31; but hey! it is only the current minute form that matters, right)

Toby won't accept a new contract with a pay increase. We don't know the details, but it looks like the new offer would double his wages, he wants to triple them. Absolutely his right to do that.
Would you (A) increase the offer, (B) sit tight for now (he has a year and a half on his contract plus the club has the option to extend for another year if nobody offers £25 million) or (C) sell him?

A year from now we will probably have to take half the fee compared to the summer, and it looks like Poch thinks Toby's head is not in the right place to play right now anyway ... and we don't have that many games left this season. So I think I would go for C.

Well Rose played more minutes than Moura this season, I know who I’d rather see the back of.
Rose also was integral to the two seasons we pushed the title run......he’s not missed now though, and neither is Walker in my opinion.

That’s my entire point. Right now we have been playing without 3 of the back four we used last season, and what’s really changed?
The manager and the squad diversity is the key, not replaceable individuals such as Toby.

That was the whole reason I brought up the more unique and hard to replace players......like Moura, Dele, Eriksen, Kane, Lloris.......

That’s when people stared going turbo saying you can’t quantify importance. Well yes you can. I just did.

If Poch thinks Foyth can step up next season then we don't a replacement for Toby ... Sanchez starts, Foyth and Dier back him up.
What we would need is back up for Vertonghen, since all those are right footed.

I thought Foyth could play there? Seemed to look like it in those Argentina u20 clips.

Back
Top Bottom