"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool are slowly bottling it.

Went from 7 points clear. To 5 points clear. To 4 points clear. To 3 points clear to 1 point clear.

If anything, I think 2nd is for the taking over Liverpool as I do think City have the squad to probably win every remaining game.

Think we need to beat Chelsea and Woolwich if we want to finish in the top 4, both of those games are imperative to our season because they are part of the chasing pack, we win those two games we could probably afford two more losses and still finish 3rd (depending on how United are during the run-in.)

Liverpool are slowly bottling it.

Went from 7 points clear. To 5 points clear. To 4 points clear. To 3 points clear to 1 point clear.

If anything, I think 2nd is for the taking over Liverpool as I do think City have the squad to probably win every remaining game.

I do love your optimisn but we are bigger shirkers than Liverpool.

The title, albeit City now with a couple of injuries as well to deal with is Spendiola's to lose.

We fcuked up our latest audition and there is little to suggest we can put it right.

Think we need to beat Chelsea and Woolwich if we want to finish in the top 4, both of those games are imperative to our season because they are part of the chasing pack, we win those two games we could probably afford two more losses and still finish 3rd (depending on how United are during the run-in.)

Even if we lose the next 2 games we'll still be third. No way do the next 2 games determine our chances for a top 4 finish but I do get what you mean, positive results in both and I think we've fended the chasers off for another year. If we don't the gap could get squeezed to just one point separating us from 4th. Amazing how a mindset could change so quickly so I hope the boys are up for it

The title, albeit City now with a couple of injuries as well to deal with is Spendiola's to lose.

We fcuked up our latest audition and there is little to suggest we can put it right.

We have hiccups fielding squads from previous seasons mixed with newly integrated academy players. Liverpool do it with world record transfer fees paid it's a little different

Not sure, we've gone from being 10 points behind to 6 points behind.

Whilst we ballsed up the chance to go 3 points behind top of the table with the Burnley result, Liverpool ballsed up the chance to go 3 points ahead and 8 points clear of us..

We beat Chelsea and Woolwich this week and I guarantee you we'll be 4 points off them with the game at Anfield being a real turning point.

12th December - Liverpool were 1 point clear of Man City and 6 points clear of us

25th February - Liverpool are 1 points clear of Man City and 6 points clear of us

--

Consistent.

Liverpool simply HAVEN'T taken advantage of all the points Man City have dropped between December and now. Losing to Palace, Newcastle and Leicester within that time. Remember, Liverpool have only lost ONE game all season and that was to City. Fucking hell, they haven't even taken advantage of us losing 3 games within that same period.

Liverpool have won 3 games in their last 7 games. Losing 1 and drawing 3.
Man City have won 6 games in their last 7 games. Losing 1.
Spurs have won 5 games in their last 7 games. Losing 2.

12th December - Liverpool were 1 point clear of Man City and 6 points clear of us

25th February - Liverpool are 1 points clear of Man City and 6 points clear of us

--

Consistent.

Liverpool simply HAVEN'T taken advantage of all the points Man City have dropped between December and now. Losing to Palace, Newcastle and Leicester within that time. Remember, Liverpool have only lost ONE game all season and that was to City. Fucking hell, they haven't even taken advantage of us losing 3 games within that same period.

Liverpool have won 3 games in their last 7 games. Losing 1 and drawing 3.
Man City have won 6 games in their last 7 games. Losing 1.
Spurs have won 5 games in their last 7 games. Losing 2.
Having it spelled out like that, our losses to Burnley, Wolves and Watford seem reasonable when City lost to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle. Of course, in a "normal" season, losing a handful games and drawing another handful would usually win you the title.

Also, 99% chance City wins the title at this point. I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't.

Having it spelled out like that, our losses to Burnley, Wolves and Watford seem reasonable when City lost to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle. Of course, in a "normal" season, losing a handful games and drawing another handful would usually win you the title.

Also, 99% chance City wins the title at this point. I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't.

Keep up the same form over the next 7 games and it's likely we'll be in 2nd and City would be way out in front.

Though we have Chelsea (A), Woolwich (H), Liverpool (A) and City (A) within our next 7 games...

That's a title fighting set of fixtures and this is where we will either prove everyone that we really DO belong or we fall short and our away record against the top clubs get called into question again.

Who gives a fuck about whether Liverpool are bottling it?

If they do, Man Shitty are the ones going to take advantage, not us.

The temptation or pressure of going within 2 points of Liverpool & City made our cowards shit their pants - and not for the first time.

Yeah Burnley are back to the tough nut they were last season, but did you really see any desire from our lot? Nope, there was no urgency, lots of shit slow and lazy passing, mistakes galore and Burnley had better chances than us.

You'd be a liar if you said you enjoyed watching more than half a dozen of our matches this season. Time and again, we serve up the same lackadaisical, IDGAF performance. Where is the motivation? Where is the desire? When we get shellacked by the likes of Fulham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Burnley you have to wonder WTF is going on.

Why does the team that is supposed to be the most familial and tight of all others get consistently outfought by other teams? The supposed cunts at Chelsea and Leicester battered us.

In the end, it's all about actions on the pitch, so Eriksen, Kane, Jan, Lloris and whoever the fuck else can keep giving lip service to "wanting titles" but once the whistle blows, all of that supposed desire evaporates. Where is the intensity? It's like they all hate their jobs and are trying to get through the 90 as soon as the clock starts. How pathetic is that. Why does Poch need to keep reminding them what they need to do? Why can't they muster their own desire? It's a shambles.

If we aren't going to win anything, which is likely, then at least give each match a go. That's the reason I started supporting Spurs in the first place - they'd always look to attack, to score, to win even if the result didn't often go that way. Now, yeah, we're probably have our best points total and most wins in a PL season yet but in the vast majority of games it feels undeserved. We plod our way through, get lucky and grind out unconvincing wins week after week. In matches like Palace, Chelsea and Burnley we get what our performances deserve and if the quality of many other teams were better, we'd have a lot more L's adorning our gutless showings this season.

It's not like the boys can't produce either. We may not have the quality of City, but we sure as hell can match that level of desire. Pity this season it's so sporadic. I don't know how Poch is going to get them to produce more heart consistently, but if he doesn't, then I have no desire to watch us. If we aren't going to stand up and be counted "doing it the right way" then I sure as hell don't give a shit to watch corrupt financially doped teams like City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca, Madrid et al do it the wrong way.

Who gives a fuck about whether Liverpool are bottling it?

If they do, Man Shitty are the ones going to take advantage, not us.

The temptation or pressure of going within 2 points of Liverpool & City made our cowards shit their pants - and not for the first time.

Yeah Burnley are back to the tough nut they were last season, but did you really see any desire from our lot? Nope, there was no urgency, lots of shit slow and lazy passing, mistakes galore and Burnley had better chances than us.

You'd be a liar if you said you enjoyed watching more than half a dozen of our matches this season. Time and again, we serve up the same lackadaisical, IDGAF performance. Where is the motivation? Where is the desire? When we get shellacked by the likes of Fulham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Burnley you have to wonder WTF is going on.

Why does the team that is supposed to be the most familial and tight of all others get consistently outfought by other teams? The supposed cunts at Chelsea and Leicester battered us.

In the end, it's all about actions on the pitch, so Eriksen, Kane, Jan, Lloris and whoever the fuck else can keep giving lip service to "wanting titles" but once the whistle blows, all of that supposed desire evaporates. Where is the intensity? It's like they all hate their jobs and are trying to get through the 90 as soon as the clock starts. How pathetic is that. Why does Poch need to keep reminding them what they need to do? Why can't they muster their own desire? It's a shambles.

If we aren't going to win anything, which is likely, then at least give each match a go. That's the reason I started supporting Spurs in the first place - they'd always look to attack, to score, to win even if the result didn't often go that way. Now, yeah, we're probably have our best points total and most wins in a PL season yet but in the vast majority of games it feels undeserved. We plod our way through, get lucky and grind out unconvincing wins week after week. In matches like Palace, Chelsea and Burnley we get what our performances deserve and if the quality of many other teams were better, we'd have a lot more L's adorning our gutless showings this season.

It's not like the boys can't produce either. We may not have the quality of City, but we sure as hell can match that level of desire. Pity this season it's so sporadic. I don't know how Poch is going to get them to produce more heart consistently, but if he doesn't, then I have no desire to watch us. If we aren't going to stand up and be counted "doing it the right way" then I sure as hell don't give a shit to watch corrupt financially doped teams like City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca, Madrid et al do it the wrong way.

Because no one here likes Liverpool.

That's why we give a fuck. If we can't win the league, it fucking better be Man City.

Wolves and Watford, in particular, are decent sides.

Everyone will lose to sides of their quality every season.

The Premier League isn't as simple as being you beat those weaker than you and losing to those better.

Last edited:
I guess we shouldn't be looking at our tough run in as a bad thing. You want to play the teams above you to close the gap and we shouldn't be overly worried about the chavs and the scum.

We almost find our self in the unusual place of not being the team under the most pressure in all of the games too.

Chelsea (and more specifically Sarri) are under more pressure than us on Wednesday. Woolwich are under more pressure than us at the weekend, especially as a loss could put them outside of the top 4 with Man Utd coming up the following week.

Liverpool may still be top by a point or so and will need a win to keep up their lead and City play us with 3 games remaining so again may need to beat us to win the league for example.

Though circumstances can obviously change - a loss against Chelsea for example will likely see us under a lot more pressure against Woolwich as 3 losses on the bounce could really see us get dragged down to a battle for top four etc.

Last edited:
The tedium of your negativity is becoming unbearable.

I am not negative mate but the recklessness and inaccuracy of optimism (not having a go at all at Totti) is a nonsense.

I am never really proven incorrect on the front of us never crossing the line so am I negative or realistic.

You get a lot of posters who just think wishing we will do well is enough or shows support. That is okay. Their right as it is surely mine to do support in a slightly different manner.

I want to be proved wrong more than anything.

You'd be a liar if you said you enjoyed watching more than half a dozen of our matches this season. Time and again, we serve up the same lackadaisical, IDGAF performance.
I guarantee you, someone on this board says this literally every season. The fact of the matter is that all the top teams grind out results, and don't play beautiful football a lot of the time. There is the odd game where everything clicks. Or there is part of a game where everything clicks and we get a couple of goals. Other teams make it very hard for us to play scintillating football because they play ultra-defensive formations and try and spoil the game. I don't blame theme because it's the most effective strategy.

Back
Top Bottom