"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fixtures certainly aren't in our favour but if you are going to win it you have to beat the best. Harry and Ali coming back to fitness will give the team and fans a well deserved boost and will allow some players a well earned rest. I still think top 4 this season is an exceptional result, all things considered. At the moment the media think we're out of it so there is less pressure to win all our remaining games. hopefully we'll keep our heads down and dig deep as these players clearly want to prove they are the best.

Agree with much of this but games not in our favour usually means periods where runs of games, on paper at least are more favourable.

All teams played twice and all that.

If we do win the league it will be on sheer fight and grit and not quality. For those thinking City or Liverpool will drop points, it is impossible for them both to. We literally have to win every game and still expect the worst case scenario.

For example, if we get 96, Liverpool are still getting 98. That is even with beating them both and finishing above City. Our battle is to show up for the opportunity to be two points behind. Anything else is dreamland and weak.

City know they shouldn't be in the race and 9 times out of 10 Liverpool still win the league. We could win the next four games, and Liverpool could not drop points. We would still be five points behind in a worse position.

Prepare for that discomfort. That is what wins a league.

Interesting analysis but hugely flawed because it assumes games are simply won and lost, without impact to psyche.

Where I agree is on our season's overall performances. We have the points but not the artistry and finesse of previous years under Pochettino. (In itself it would be interesting to know how people view that?)

City are favourites. No doubt at all. Been there, done it and playing at a higher level than us and Liverpool, who really do not have a squad that is so much better than ours.

But City have games galore to contend with and are likely to suffer some injuries as a result.

Liverpool got lucky in having to face Bournemouth at their place because the south coast outfit are a mix of capability. Saturday they were B1. Against Chelsea B4.

Burnley and Chelsea. If we get 4 points and that's good but maybe not enough to keep the pressure on. Get 6 points and then the players will be on a wave.

But I think it is very difficult to see games and just say win, win, win. See Leicester and West Ham to have that laid bare.

Last edited:
If we do win the league it will be on sheer fight and grit and not quality. For those thinking City or Liverpool will drop points, it is impossible for them both to. We literally have to win every game and still expect the worst case scenario.

For example, if we get 96, Liverpool are still getting 98. That is even with beating them both and finishing above City. Our battle is to show up for the opportunity to be two points behind. Anything else is dreamland and weak.

City know they shouldn't be in the race and 9 times out of 10 Liverpool still win the league. We could win the next four games, and Liverpool could not drop points. We would still be five points behind in a worse position.

Prepare for that discomfort. That is what wins a league.

How can i put this....

Bollocks to your crystal ball.

We’ll beat Liverpool at Anfield. 99th minute penalty, a copy of The Sun will float on to the pitch and Kane will dive over it in the box. He’ll then pick the ball up off the penalty spot and throw it in the net.

Will a beach ball make an appearance?

Our odds have gone up again.

I had a go a week ago when pissed after the Newcastle result at 22/ 1. We then dropped to 20/1 after the dippers lost to West Ham. Shot back up to 25/1 after Citys result on Wednesday.

Sky Bet now offering 28/1 !

To me it reflects on how our chances are essentially reliant on City and Pool dropping points in games they "should" be winning. We could get maximum points from our games against Woolwich and Chelsea. Liverpool could lose to Utd. But we would still need wins at Anfield and / or COM to be in with a shout imo.

I'm not saying it wont happen. But i have less faith in us picking up maximum points in games we "should" be winning.

Ultimately, I'm happy where we are. Third would still be a very good achievement with everything that has been going on this season. And it would make a change going into the run in with things so comfortable behind us.

Plus lol at the chavs, lol at the gooners.

Last edited:
Our odds have gone up again.

I had a go a week ago when pissed after the Newcastle result at 22/ 1. We then dropped to 20/1 after the dippers lost to West Ham. Shot back up to 25/1 after Citys result on Wednesday.

Sky Bet now offering 28/1 !

To me it reflects on how our chances are essentially reliant on City and Pool dropping points in games they "should" be winning. We could get maximum points from our games against Woolwich and Chelsea. Liverpool could lose to Utd. But we would still need wins at Anfield and / or COM to be in with a shout imo.

I'm not saying it wont happen. But i have less faith in us picking up maximum points in games we "should" be winning.

Ultimately, I'm happy where we are. Third would still be a very good achievement with everything that has been going on this season. And it would make a change going into the run in with things so comfortable behind us.

Plus lol at the chavs, lol at the gooners.
28/1 isn't bad. If I were a gambling Englishman I might drop a 50 on that. To me, 28/1 odds implies a greater stretch than 5 points off top, with a game in hand.

I've not been on here a lot recently so only just catching up during a slow work day but geez I have no idea why some of you follow football at all!

Yes - we may be the least likely of the top 3 to win the league but so what?! Dream a little. Believe a little. Who cares that it may not happen?! Enjoy it. Enjoy the nerves. Enjoy the excitement. Enjoy the dream.

We could be 6th, worrying about another season in the Europa. Or we could be nowhere in the league living off a one-off freak occurrence. We could be worrying about relegation. I'd rather dream. I'd rather get excited.

#COYMFS!!!!!

I've not been on here a lot recently so only just catching up during a slow work day but geez I have no idea why some of you follow football at all!

Yes - we may be the least likely of the top 3 to win the league but so what?! Dream a little. Believe a little. Who cares that it may not happen?! Enjoy it. Enjoy the nerves. Enjoy the excitement. Enjoy the dream.

We could be 6th, worrying about another season in the Europa. Or we could be nowhere in the league living off a one-off freak occurrence. We could be worrying about relegation. I'd rather dream. I'd rather get excited.

#COYMFS!!!!!
I agree. We're gonna win the league! :pochohshit:

Until the next time we drop points, at which point we're just lucky we aren't getting relegated. :pochsulk:

Wins up at Anfield and The Etihad would swing things towards us in a big way. Incredible really that with all the bollocks that's gone on withnthe club this year that these two fixtures could put us on the brink of making history.

Early days and all that but if you asked any Spurs fan if they could be saying such a thing mid February with a genuine seriousness I think every one of us would have taken that situation with both hands. Shows how remarkable our season has been to date, into the knockouts of the Champions League in a group with Inter & Barca & withinntouching distance of the pinnacle of domestic football

It shouldn’t make any difference but it all depends on the referees and Sky’s agenda at the time
Who knows they might do an about turn and regard us a plucky little underdog
Don’t count on it though!!

#COYMFS!!!!!

I like your enthusiasm.

But it also strikes me as someone who hasn’t been to Wembley and watch us lose 100million semi finals recently.
The human spirit can only take so much.......

So stay positive!

I like your enthusiasm.

But it also strikes me as someone who hasn’t been to Wembley and watch us lose 100million semi finals recently.
The human spirit can only take so much.......

So stay positive!

I don't get up to London as much as I like but I've been around a while.

I remember the joy of sitting in front of the tv all day in 1991 for the cup final, insisting that my 6 month old sister be put to sit with me cos she had to learn too (it didn't stick unfortunately).

It cos of the Sugar years, the near misses, etc that we should be excited. FFS - we have a chance to win the league! Everyone should be buzzing!

I'm nervous. I'm excited. I'm hating the fact that the Dippers are up there too and dreading if they don't slip up. I can't wait for each game to see if the dream lives on.

If the disappointment comes, then it comes. Until then I'm keeping the faith!

:tobyarm::pochlol::llorishowudoin::kanegoal::lamelaaghh:

'The Spurs players have won the league. They need to move for a new challenge.'

This would be the exact angle everyone would push. They've achieved now it's time to prove it wasn't a fluke by doing it in another league.

If the whole Messi isn't world class because he hasn't proved it at a different team or at a World Cup narrative still floats about, these gormless people will clearly shake their stick at others in moronic fashion for many a year.

Imagine not thinking Messi is world class because he has only played for Barcelona and hasn't won a World Cup. Fucking tools

#COYMFS!!!!!

Well said. I keep saying similar.

Yesterday on NBC the announcers said something along the lines of;
If Tottenham can hold on and win this game they will stay in the title picture, but they still have to play both City and Liverpool again.

Shouldn't the proper commentary have been;
If Spurs can see this match out they are well and truly in the title race as they still get to play both City and Liverpool again.

Back
Top Bottom