"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think you could be right - I'm thinking of when we were at Stoke and won 4-0... pretty sure it was more than it is now, and I agree, it sure feels closer this time.

Joe Clash Joe Clash - You're right, we were top, but I was thinking more of the run in when shit was getting real. Even though you'd expect Leicester to have slipped up more than you would Chelsea, they feel catchable this time.

With 8 games to go it was 5 points, with 4 games to go it was still 5 points. It went to shit after that.

I'm not saying shit because Leicester will fucking love to do one over us at theirs to ruin our chances.

Not sure why (well i do) but a proper rivalry has grown between us over the last couple

They're a fucking bunch of shit hawk cunts, the way they've gone about their business. Their resurgence has been against shit opposition, I fancy us going there and giving them a proper lesson.

I think our toughest game could be Hull away at the end of the season, Marco Silva hasn't lost a home game in over 3 years.

I think today's result was very important. A win for Chelski today and we could have conceded the title race effectively. So much of sport at the top level is mentality, and that is one reason strange things do happen. Think Davies Taylor in the snooker final, Ali Foreman, Wimbledon Liverpool in the cup. They've seen their lead whittled down alarmingly in just a few weeks and its bound to play on their minds. Yes they are still major favourites but in a funny way that also relieves pressure on us. We also have that invaluable experience of last year's race. At the moment our mentality appears rock solid. One game at a time, always believe in your own ability. We look like we believe we can win every game, and we probably will need to, or very nearly, to have any chance. And why shouldn't we believe that, we're the best team in the league at the moment. I don't think anyone here is saying "we're gonna win the league" are they? It's just magic to be in this position, let's enjoy every moment.

:tobyarm:

They're a fucking bunch of shit hawk cunts, the way they've gone about their business. Their resurgence has been against shit opposition, I fancy us going there and giving them a proper lesson.

I think our toughest game could be Hull away at the end of the season, Marco Silva hasn't lost a home game in over 3 years.
Well, Burnley's home form is stunning but we beat them.

We are the best team in the league right now. Every game is winnable. I do think we will drop some points, but I think it could be more down to us having a rough game rather than the other side. So I think it could be any side we face away.

That could conceivably work if you were the team chasing. But I don't see how telling a team chasing you that they're likely to catch you would make them take their foot off the gas.
You don't see it? It's intended to make the other team be over confident.

Over confident sides often go into games thinking they can walk it.

You don't see it? It's intended to make the other team be over confident.

Over confident sides often go into games thinking they can walk it.
"Yeah. We're 4 points behind, but Chelsea's manager said we're the favorites, so let's goof off today because we're going to win the League anyway." No. It doesn't make any sense to me as a psychological tactic. If anything it would give the chasing team the confidence that they could catch you. Seems like it would light a fire under the chasing team's ass.

I guess arguably it could be a tactic to fight complacency in your own team. But with the Chavs, I think a better tactic would be to say "you're making 200,000 per week you fucking cunt."

Now I've calmed down after the Utd win, I've just come to realise the run-in in all it's glory.

6 fixtures remaining:

Chelsea have FOUR home fixtures:
- Southampton, who have nothing to play for.
- Middlesbrough, who could well be relegated.
- Watford, who have nothing to play for.
- Sunderland, who will be down.

There away fixtures are Everton and West Brom. Most likely the games we need to look at for them to drop points, even so West Brom have NOTHING to play for and it still means we have to win EVERY fixture.

Whilst we have:

FOUR away games. We have the fifth best away record in the league.
- Crystal Palace, who are fighting for survival and have beaten Woolwich and Chelsea within the last few weeks.
- West Ham, who always raise their game for their cup final.
- Leicester, who would LOVE to fucking ruin our season.
- Hull, who have a brilliant home record and still may need something to stay up.

Our two home games on paper are against teams who are STILL fighting for top four and Champions League hopes, but on our home form, I'd expect to win the two home games.

Obviously never say never. No one thought Palace would beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Rewind a few years back and no one thought Palace would come from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 against Liverpool and end their title hopes either. We are at silly season now.

It's still a RIDICULOUSLY tough ask. If Chelsea win their next league game, the gap is back at 7 points before we even play for example. That's massive pressure on us again going into a game sandwiched between a cup semi final and a North London Derby.

But my god, it's fucking exciting and our players will smell blood at any mistake.

Edit - I'll also add that the cup semi final could be VERY crucial to the whole title chase. If we win, that's THREE losses in FOUR games which despite how good you are, is a real confidence denter. You start to doubt things, the manager may attempt to change things etc. - it just starts to doubt in their mind.

Last edited:
"Yeah. We're 4 points behind, but Chelsea's manager said we're the favorites, so let's goof off today because we're going to win the League anyway." No. It doesn't make any sense to me as a psychological tactic. If anything it would give the chasing team the confidence that they could catch you. Seems like it would light a fire under the chasing team's ass.

I guess arguably it could be a tactic to fight complacency in your own team. But with the Chavs, I think a better tactic would be to say "you're making 200,000 per week you fucking cunt."
I'm not saying it's a sure fire winning tactic. But you asked, and I told you why. It's manipulative, and it can do what I said and it can also do what you said, push their players into action.

Put it this way, do you really think a successful manager like Conte would make an comment like that in pure honesty, without any ulterior motive? I don't.

Listen, I've been with enough women to know manipulative shit when I hear it!!:pochsmirk::pochsmirk::pochsmirk:

Now I've calmed down after the Utd win, I've just come to realise the run-in in all it's glory.

6 fixtures remaining:

Chelsea have FOUR home fixtures:
- Southampton, who have nothing to play for.
- Middlesbrough, who could well be relegated.
- Watford, who have nothing to play for.
- Sunderland, who will be down.

There away fixtures are Everton and West Brom. Most likely the games we need to look at for them to drop points, even so West Brom have NOTHING to play for and it still means we have to win EVERY fixture.

Whilst we have:

FOUR away games. We have the fifth best away record in the league.
- Crystal Palace, who are fighting for survival and have beaten Woolwich and Chelsea within the last few weeks.
- West Ham, who always raise their game for their cup final.
- Leicester, who would LOVE to fucking ruin our season.
- Hull, who have a brilliant home record and still may need something to stay up.

Our two home games on paper are against teams who are STILL fighting for top four and Champions League hopes, but on our home form, I'd expect to win the two home games.

Obviously never say never. No one thought Palace would beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Rewind a few years back and no one thought Palace would come from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 against Liverpool and end their title hopes either. We are at silly season now.

It's still a RIDICULOUSLY tough ask. If Chelsea win their next league game, the gap is back at 7 points before we even play for example. That's massive pressure on us again going into a game sandwiched between a cup semi final and a North London Derby.

But my god, it's fucking exciting and our players will smell blood at any mistake.

Edit - I'll also add that the cup semi final could be VERY crucial to the whole title chase. If we win, that's THREE losses in FOUR games which despite how good you are, is a real confidence denter. You start to doubt things, the manager may attempt to change things etc. - it just starts to doubt in their mind.

There's a couple of million per place at stake in the Premier League and with the table so bunched up you're talking a difference of up to 10 million between a good and bad finish in the league. This is massive for clubs like Watford, Southampton and WBA.

The teams likely to be on the beach this time of year are the ones with managers and players who probably won't be there next season. Watford and Southampton looked very motivated when we played them and I think they'll both have the same managers next season.

And there's always kudos in beating a title chasing team.

The only hopeless case when it comes to Chelsea losing points is the Sunderland game as they'll likely be down, managerless with most of the players on the way out, so we need to be ahead come the final day.

Back
Top Bottom