"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looking at the fixtures city have the easiest run in with us and united left to play the trickiest fixtures on paper, but as we know it’s never that straight forward , if city win it would be nice to finish above the greatest pool team ever to grace the PL

Can’t help myself. I look at today’s result and think what a bunch of arseholes our team were yesterday to blow 3 points off at fucking Burnley.

Was still a long shot, but all we have done is write off the long shot and open the smallest of cracks for the goons and Cheatski

Not in it really but not out of it.

I would go with your wording if I was betting and my money was riding but it is not and being a hopeless optimist I am going to stick around at my end little longer. Even though there are some extreme particulars about this club, I like it. I just hope the club could clutch and get that fucking league title which seems to be the very next hump to get over to take it to the next level. Clutch now this year Don't resort to next year or next next. Next year comes every fucking year anyway. Don't you want that official seal of validation for the club and the philosophy behind. I do.

Six points off top isn't bad, but dropping nine points against Burnley, Wolves, and Watford is. Even draws in those games puts us three points closer. We also lost our six pointer home fixtures to the teams above us. Again where some draws could have been useful.

It's over.

Six points off top isn't bad, but dropping nine points against Burnley, Wolves, and Watford is. Even draws in those games puts us three points closer. We also lost our six pointer home fixtures to the teams above us. Again where some draws could have been useful.

It's over.
It was never on mate we was only ever a peripheral figure in someone else's play.

This season is weird. We are on track for 85 points, 90% chance of making it through to the CL QF, and are doing this with a myriad of injuries and having to play at Wembley, but somehow it feels disappointing.

I watch City and Liverpool play, and they look so average lately, and we are 5 points off the top coming into the weekend, but then we lose to fucking Burnley after smashing Dortmund.

Nothing makes sense.

This season is weird. We are on track for 85 points, 90% chance of making it through to the CL QF, and are doing this with a myriad of injuries and having to play at Wembley, but somehow it feels disappointing.

I watch City and Liverpool play, and they look so average lately, and we are 5 points off the top coming into the weekend, but then we lose to fucking Burnley after smashing Dortmund.

Nothing makes sense.
The simple but sad answer is that they are better than us and when ever there is a chance to capitalise on their fuck ups we fuck as well or instead.

So, worst performance of the season, but some positives from the weekend.

Liverpool scrape a point and look average, Firmino injured, Man U honeymoon period over.
Chelsea play 120 mins, lose on pens and atmosphere not right in their camp

Horrible overall but could have been worse, Lets move on

Last edited:

Nothing makes sense.
All this happened last season to some extent.

Agreed but credit the club where credit is due. No home advantage for nearly 2 seasons now whilst trying to temporarily bed into a new home, half full stadiums, a team that, I feel may benefit from one or two new faces in certain departments but not to a critical level, plus teams around us chucking silly money about to enhance their chances.

Since we last signed a glut of players & broke our transfer record the following teams have made steps to push up closer or surpass us:

Woolwich have surpassed our transfer record twice, (Aubemayang & Lacazette)

Manchester United have surpassed our record outlay in that space of time three times (Fred, Lukaku & Matic)

Chelsea five times (Kepa - a world record fee for a GK, Jorginho, Pulisic, Bakayoko & Morata)

Liverpool five times (Allison, Keita, Fabinho, Salah & Van Dijk, two of which were world record transfers for their respective positions)

Man City five times (Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Walker, Laporte, Mendy)

Even Everton have shelled out more than we have for a player on two occasions (Sigurdsson & Richarlison) and West Ham have as well if certain fees floating around online are to be believed (Felipe Anderson)

Hindsight we can look back on the decisions we've made/ haven't made to see where we could have made tweaks but for all of those teams to have invested heavily on real quality and for us to still be ahead or just slightly behind them I think is huge testament to how the club have moved forward. We haven't got many new faces that teams haven't sussed out yet, teams don't need to study us as much to work out how to stifle us so we really are at more disadvantages than people realise. All thigs considered for us to be a clear third where a positive result yesterday and in the home game against Liverpool earlier in the season would have put us above them is a big achievement in itself, trophy or no trophy.

People are getting frustrated and I understand why but we are punching well above our weight as others have tried to squeeze the gap. A little more patience is required I feel. The longer the nucleus stays together, the stronger we'll become.

yes mate totally get all of that ESP the lack of home games for two seasons essentially but this 'punching above our weight' thing gets on my tits a bit tbh. We are in terms of spending but in terms of players, I think we are now clearly the third best team in the league. Who is better than us personnel wise from Chelsea woolwich or united? Talented players at all those clubs no doubt but we have nurtured this squad into what it is and that is a top team in the division.
I think we need a couple of quality additions and a few out to be genuine contenders for the league and at this stage i think we deserve that as fans and Poch does as manager.
I consider myself a very patient fan, certainly more so than some of the mentalists on here and other places on the tinters but fuck me we are soooo close and yet with the Toby/Eriksen situation and dembele and wanyama basically finished I feel we could go backwards soon without adequate investment in players.
How patient will poch be? Another season, 2 maybe 3?

yes mate totally get all of that ESP the lack of home games for two seasons essentially but this 'punching above our weight' thing gets on my tits a bit tbh. We are in terms of spending but in terms of players, I think we are now clearly the third best team in the league. Who is better than us personnel wise from Chelsea woolwich or united? Talented players at all those clubs no doubt but we have nurtured this squad into what it is and that is a top team in the division.
I think we need a couple of quality additions and a few out to be genuine contenders for the league and at this stage i think we deserve that as fans and Poch does as manager.
I consider myself a very patient fan, certainly more so than some of the mentalists on here and other places on the tinters but fuck me we are soooo close and yet with the Toby/Eriksen situation and dembele and wanyama basically finished I feel we could go backwards soon without adequate investment in players.
How patient will poch be? Another season, 2 maybe 3?

Personally I think we ride this season out, next season the same bedding into the new gaff, see how the movers and shakers go with a few leaving, a few possibly staying and a few arriving if we can stay where we are now next season, fend off whatever happens with the chasing pack and go from there I'd be well happy.

Unfortunately it's another transitional season for me next time around but I'm OK with that, there should be no fast tracks to success, especially when you're doing it the way we are which in theory (I hope) should set us up for years closer to the top of the table instead of the mid table/ relegation scraps I spent my teenage years watching us slog away at

18 or 19 points needed for top 4 in my opinion.

Our realistic aim.

Whilst we are further from 4th than we are to Liverpool it's our run of games that looks pretty daunting.

But 78 or 79 points should be enough. 77 at a push.

The Burnley loss came at exactly the wrong time.

Last edited:
Can’t help myself. I look at today’s result and think what a bunch of arseholes our team were yesterday to blow 3 points off at fucking Burnley.

Was still a long shot, but all we have done is write off the long shot and open the smallest of cracks for the goons and Cheatski
Nah mate it was just another defeat, we move on mate, it's nothing mate... :pochrolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom