Time to panic?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trust the management of the club. Both league-winning teams of the last two years had no European football to contend with. It's not a feat I see happening again with all of the usual suspects involved in top-level continental action.

Over the last two years we have been the most consistent and arguably best team. Do not melt.

Everyone else needs to improve more than we do. We've been improving year on year, predominantly playing mickey mouse EU fixtures. Let's see these fuckers sustain a title challenge and play in Europe.

"Our failure to win the title, if anything, is down to a slow start. This is the same old story for Tottenham and certainly nothing new."
last season we spent £30m on transfer deadline having already played 3 league games. All clubs go on about how important pre season is with the testing conditioning team bonding and training etc!
Probably not time to panic but if any new signings do not arrive well into August after the season has already started we will know why winning 12 of our last 13 league fixtures might not be enough to win the league for a second season running!

b109c1892f699a4a66a024b0fbd82bd2--army-quotes-humour.jpg

We didn't have a poor start to the season. After just 6 games in we were 2nd 4 points behind Man City but crucially 4 points ahead of Chelsea, game 7 saw us thrash Citeh and close that gap to just 1 point! If you look where the title was won and lost it coincided when Alderwierld got injured (the very next game 8 against WBA) drawing 4 games on the spin, whilst Chelsea won their respective corresponding 4 games (eventually going onto equaling the longest winning streak in the PL, fortunately ended by us).

But I agree with the article.

Although I'd still say today, without replacing Walker we are weaker in that area in the pitch. But I'm more than confident that we will reinvest the Walker money and I'm also confident in Poch's ability to find a solution to this area, just as I'm also confident that keeping this squad together without having any major surgery will be at the very least just as competitive as last term.

Last edited:
"Our failure to win the title, if anything, is down to a slow start. This is the same old story for Tottenham and certainly nothing new."
last season we spent £30m on transfer deadline having already played 3 league games. All clubs go on about how important pre season is with the testing conditioning team bonding and training etc!
Probably not time to panic but if any new signings do not arrive well into August after the season has already started we will know why winning 12 of our last 13 league fixtures might not be enough to win the league for a second season running!

Absolutely, I am sure we will sign 2-3 players but it can't help bringing them in late, we always seem to handicap ourselves in that manner. Probably due to the restricted budget we operate on, having to pounce when the price is at its absolutle lowest.

I think the fans, Poch and the players will probably accept a very tight budget for 1-2 seasons but after we have moved into our new place there will be no room for excuses.

We have a unique opportunity, haven't seen us with a manager as good in my lifetime, he has worked miracles literally miracles with what we have, if we gave him real resources I think we could win trophies even in the current environment with criminal playboys at Chavs and Citeh. I hate to see that sold short, when he goes it will be the hardest thing ever replacing him.

Who's winning the transfer window? Premier League clubs summer buys so far: ranked....

Who's winning the transfer window? Premier League clubs summer buys so far: ranked

Spurs clocking in at #6 without actually signing anyone.....

Seems (some of) the media are catching on eventually; even if some fans haven't.
Although having Everton at number one still kind of supports who buys the most, spends the most or just does the most "wins".

But more than anything thing else, it's the word "winning" or "wins" the transfer window. First off what the fuck does that actually mean? Secondly, the only way to judge how good a transfer window has been is at the end of a season. Did the players singed contribute to the side and did the team improve?

Although having Everton at number one still kind of supports who buys the most, spends the most or just does the most "wins".

I guess given our placing it's about judging a team's situation and what they are doing to address it.

Everton squad defo in need of an overhaul and it's getting one.
D'Arse have been bangin' on about a new striker for years.... Finally they get one.

Etc.

But more than anything thing else, it's the word "winning" or "wins" the transfer window. First off what the fuck does that actually mean?

Seemed tongue-in-cheek to me.... Bit like "winning" the interweb.

Secondly, the only way to judge how good a transfer window has been is at the end of a season. Did the players singed contribute to the side and did the team improve?

Agreed entirely. Even then a dodgy window still doesn't doom a club to a shit season and doesn't mean the players bought were irrecoverable duds...

[EDIT] I think our last season illustrates this perfectly....

Fuck me. Our club is in an unrecognisably strong position compared to anything in the last three decades or more. I'm seeing so much whinging and complaining from stupid cunty modern fans (apparently a few interactions on twatter is all you need to be a fan) because we haven't made loads of signings.

The reality is that we have the players that people really want. But they're so good that they're virtually priceless. £60m can't get Dier for Man Utd. We have talent and we have young talent. We'll be even stronger and even more finely tuned this season.

Ideal transfer windows are not bringing in 7 players as we found out a few years back or bringing in no players which has not happened for many years if at all. It is bringing in 2/3 good players that potentially improve the squad as we tried last season. I say potentially as not all will work. Hopefully that will still happen.

Back
Top Bottom