Time to Act

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess ultimately what I'm getting at is those that run the club that I love persist in fleecing me then I can't just say 'fair enough'

I do hope the people from the club who read this forum will actually see this and other related posts and maybe, just maybe, care about the fans that are coming close to a point where we've had enough. I know this won't happen, but everyone likes to dream...

Most recent memories like that for me are...

Crouch at Eastlands 1-0
Crouch at the San Siro 1-0
Kaboul at Emirates 3-2
Full time at Old Trafford 3-2

I think there was something about how utterly shit we had been all season, the endless jokes about 2 points and points failures etc that made the 4-4 so very special. I was running around my parents' house screaming like I was having a fit - I'm 34 btw. Crouch at Eastlands and Kaboul at the Emirates are up there. I'd also throw in Staltieri at Upton Park. Hopefully this season's still got something special to come.

To be honest, the really (really) good times as a regular Spurs fan ended with Martin Jol.
I've gotten behind every manager since and really like AVB, it just seems the world has turned a notch and I've been left behind.

Doesn't matter if the fans don't go to WHL week in week out for a season or more.

If attendances did drop down to 20k across the league and the hardcore supporters stay away and the stadiums become docile viewing arenas for soccer there is a ready made answer the people who run the game would love.

The worldwide demand for EPL football and CL football would make it conceivable that half of Prem matches could be played in other parts of the world with the games screened back to England to be watched on large screens on the pitch. People would go to these.

And then if your chance to see Spurs play in Tottenham was limited to 5 home games a season you don't think it would sell out 56k seats no matter the cost?

I've seen the future. It's shit.

Unfortunately we are in an arms race, and football has come to a point where it is based on money, which is why Levy is such a stupendous chairman, the best we could possibly have. The fans are vital, but the vital fans are those who have deep pockets, because we must pay and pay a lot to achieve the heights we demand.
I mourn the passing of the vocal supporter, but that is the past, as is hooliganism which I don't mourn.
Boycotting will not affect ticket prices - it will just allow the teams which don't have boycotts to overtake us.
The author is right in saying it is fans who are driving the price up, and it is our expectations and demands which are doing that.
Fine, if you want to boycott, do it, but realise that you are boycotting the club to a lower division.
If you want us in the CL and to win the PL again, we have to pay. It is only thanks to Levy that we are not paying more to keep us where we are.

I am stunned.

Owner's are running clubs like, dare I say, a business. A private business.

The Bundesliga has an interesting alternative.

Unfortunately we are in an arms race, and football has come to a point where it is based on money, which is why Levy is such a stupendous chairman, the best we could possibly have. The fans are vital, but the vital fans are those who have deep pockets, because we must pay and pay a lot to achieve the heights we demand.
I mourn the passing of the vocal supporter, but that is the past, as is hooliganism which I don't mourn.
Boycotting will not affect ticket prices - it will just allow the teams which don't have boycotts to overtake us.
The author is right in saying it is fans who are driving the price up, and it is our expectations and demands which are doing that.
Fine, if you want to boycott, do it, but realise that you are boycotting the club to a lower division.
If you want us in the CL and to win the PL again, we have to pay. It is only thanks to Levy that we are not paying more to keep us where we are.

This is utter bollocks.

The philosophy in British football is wrong, and it's nonsense, when 20 clubs will share £3bn from Sky Sports, that fans should bear the brunt of player wages and transfer fees.

The main point, which you seemed to have ignored, is that if prices continue to rise then everybody will be forced to miss certain matches unless they are very wealthy, which is in essence exactly what I'm having to do now. The only difference being is that mine is by choice and yours will be forced upon you.

And I've never demanded CL football or any kind of success. All Ive seen success do to football clubs is rot them. Increase in prices, fanbase increases in number, but corrodes in character. It's the fact that success has become so important to fans that they can't see the beauty in just loving the club that you belong to and being proud of be Spurs regardless of how good they are.

Come to any 1882 movement game and you'll realise that there is a lot more to gain from following Spurs than simply hoping we win.

I disagree with this entirely, specifically the highlighted section (hence why I highlighted it).

It is only in the past if it is allowed to become so. Sanitising football has become the MO for many clubs, and if that is the direction they are intent on, then the vocal section has a duty to remind the Club of the fibre which keeps Tottenham, Tottenham.

The past couple of years have seen me go less and less, and when I do go it is for the games which are more affordable. I have outgoings now that don't let me enjoy what for 20 years was a regular day out. I don't see it changing.

But that's also my point! The PSG hard-core have made a stand and are boycotting their team (or only going to youth matches). Yet the club is showing no signs of changing their attitude (this is season 3 of the boycott), and, in fact, they're doing better now than ever before (in terms of gates) and are putting a product on the pitch that's as impressive as anything in PSG's 40 year history.

And in the meantime, the hard core stay at home. I don't begrudge anyone's choosing not to go. I fully understand/agree with the motivation, etc. I just question it as a tactic.

For a team with an organised support, which is true of PSG despite the massive in-fighting, I wonder if a better solution would be to pick games where the hardcore will turn up and make a noise, seeing as an outright boycott doesn't seem to be working. That way, the fans will still get to see some games, and can remind other fans of the difference to the atmosphere they make.

Ultimately though, it will take on-pitch failure from PSG, Spurs or any top team, to induce the club to have the desire to win back those who have been priced out of the game (or who have become disillusioned)...as this will drive away the JCL's and the tourists.

I disagree with this entirely, specifically the highlighted section (hence why I highlighted it).

It is only in the past if it is allowed to become so. Sanitising football has become the MO for many clubs, and if that is the direction they are intent on, then the vocal section has a duty to remind the Club of the fibre which keeps Tottenham, Tottenham.

The past couple of years have seen me go less and less, and when I do go it is for the games which are more affordable. I have outgoings now that don't let me enjoy what for 20 years was a regular day out. I don't see it changing.
Umm, not quite sure what you are on about. You disagree with the highlighted section, which is where I said I was sad to see the passing of the vocal supporters.
Does this mean you are glad to see them go?
The Lane is a lot quieter now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That is my opinion, of course, do you disagree with that?
My other point was that it takes money to get success at the moment and that the club is getting quite a bit of that from supporters. Sure lots come from the television rights etc, but still they get a very significant amount from supporters. The more they get, the more successful Tottenham can be.

Umm, not quite sure what you are on about. You disagree with the highlighted section, which is where I said I was sad to see the passing of the vocal supporters.
Does this mean you are glad to see them go?
The Lane is a lot quieter now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That is my opinion, of course, do you disagree with that?
My other point was that it takes money to get success at the moment and that the club is getting quite a bit of that from supporters. Sure lots come from the television rights etc, but still they get a very significant amount from supporters. The more they get, the more successful Tottenham can be.

No, the very second line explains why I disagree with it. Did you read it?

Back
Top Bottom