This Dreamer is dreaming the dream…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Waz David is getting a little worried and it's messing with his dream.

Read article
Great article. We are so close to achieving everything we've been dreaming of.

What I'm scared of most is what irreparable damage it could cause to my passion if we just see this picked to pieces by "bigger" clubs.

We're at such a pivotal moment, not just for us but for football in general. We either bound ahead to greatness and prove it can be done the right way. Surely giving hope to the rest of the teams below us (those that don't have money coming out of every orrifice)....Or we get pillaged by the wealthy elite and likely prove once and for all that football is about money and nothing more.

COYS!

Great article. We are so close to achieving everything we've been dreaming of.

What I'm scared of most is what irreparable damage it could cause to my passion if we just see this picked to pieces by "bigger" clubs.

We're at such a pivotal moment, not just for us but for football in general. We either bound ahead to greatness and prove it can be done the right way. Surely giving hope to the rest of the teams below us (those that don't have money coming out of every orrifice)....Or we get pillaged by the wealthy elite and likely prove once and for all that football is about money and nothing more.

COYS!
See Danny Rose thread... some of our own fans are arguing that every player has a price.

I don't disagree with getting the highest price for a player who doesn't want to wear the shirt, but if we keep the players that Poch wants to keep (regardless of speculation or insane bids) then the squad has shown how young, hungry, together & close to winning trophies they are. Why break that up just because someone offers silly money to weaken us? I'm sure it will pay off the new ground more quickly but will we be able to fill it if we are fielding a team that cannot compete with the rest of the top 4 or 5 any more? We should not be giving in to anyone as far as any of our players are concerned, unless the player himself makes it obvious that he wants to go elsewhere.

See Danny Rose thread... some of our own fans are arguing that every player has a price.

I don't disagree with getting the highest price for a player who doesn't want to wear the shirt, but if we keep the players that Poch wants to keep (regardless of speculation or insane bids) then the squad has shown how young, hungry, together & close to winning trophies they are. Why break that up just because someone offers silly money to weaken us? I'm sure it will pay off the new ground more quickly but will we be able to fill it if we are fielding a team that cannot compete with the rest of the top 4 or 5 any more? We should not be giving in to anyone as far as any of our players are concerned, unless the player himself makes it obvious that he wants to go elsewhere.
Totally agree. I'm actually not too concerned about us selling players just because a huge bid comes in, despite what some say we've never sold a top player that wasn't agitating for the move.

My only concern is if someone offers to double/treble a players wages how long it'd take before heads are turned. Realistically to maintain what we have right now, at some point soon we're going to have to start paying 100-150 to stand a chance.

Already the English lads will be going to England camps hear the likes of Lingaard are on 150 a week! Kane's the best striker in the league and not on that.

Obviously it all depends on the mentality of the players and we seem to have a very good bunch and Poch is an extremely good influence. We need to hope that's enough to maintain it until we're in the new stadium and can afford to increase the wage bill.

Totally agree. I'm actually not too concerned about us selling players just because a huge bid comes in, despite what some say we've never sold a top player that wasn't agitating for the move.

My only concern is if someone offers to double/treble a players wages how long it'd take before heads are turned. Realistically to maintain what we have right now, at some point soon we're going to have to start paying 100-150 to stand a chance.

Already the English lads will be going to England camps hear the likes of Lingaard are on 150 a week! Kane's the best striker in the league and not on that.

Obviously it all depends on the mentality of the players and we seem to have a very good bunch and Poch is an extremely good influence. We need to hope that's enough to maintain it until we're in the new stadium and can afford to increase the wage bill.
I hope to an extent that the arse falls out of it. No football player is worth that kind of money when you look at what they do for the money. Compare that to surgeons & soldiers, nurses etc. It's one fucked up world when Jesse Lingaard earns more in a month than half an NHS ward or an army unit earns in a year. But it is what it is I suppose. Salary capping is the only way to solve it worldwide, but while the sponsorships keep racking up the ante, then the wages will get even more obscene & we need to keep abreast of that.

I am sceptical about some of these figures banded about. Contracts normally have a basic salary + appearance money and bonuses for wins and position in the league etc. Therefore if a player at a high paying team does not get a lot of match time like Rashford, he could earn less than one of our ever present players. So what are the figures quoted? Basic or maximum including bonuses?? There was a story recently about how much Woolwich players will lose if they do not qualify for Cl. It was quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom