THFC vs Wigwam Athletic (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A point at Wigan is not helpful at all...
Our season was over after the 2nd leg of the Basel game. Doesn't matter where we finish if we don't win any silverware. The only positive to getting CL is that we'll more than likely finish above Woolwich, otherwise it's just a fat pay day for Levy. Worst game this season has been Leeds, great chance of going on a cup run and no-one was interested. Ended up taking my anger on the team out on Diouf.

Claiming that Dempsey is creative is mad. He has played 1,747 mins of football for Spurs in the PL this year (thereabouts) and has provided three assists which is one every 582 mins or one ever six and a half games. Lewis Holtby has one assists in around 481 mins of PL football, no need to provide the rate of assists. So although Dempsey has more assists it is by virtue of playing over three times as much football. Factor into that the fact that most of Holtby's appearances are from the bench and it takes a bit of time to settle in to a game coming off the bench, the pendulum swings even more in Lewis' favour.

It's not mad at all. You're the one who mistakenly claimed Dempsey wasn't creative, when he clearly is as the assists show. He may not be very creative, but to say he isn't creative is clearly wrong.

It's not mad at all. You're the one who mistakenly claimed Dempsey wasn't creative, when he clearly is as the assists show. He may not be very creative, but to say he isn't creative is clearly wrong.

I guarantee you that if you asked any football fan "What are the first five words that you think of when I say Clint Dempsey?" Not one fan would have creative in their list of five words. He is not a creative player. Holtby is creative, not Dempsey.

EDIT - After more thought, Bale and Dembele, although creative have taken on different roles for Spurs this season.

I guarantee you that if you asked any football fan "What are the first five words that you think of when I say Clint Dempsey?" Not one fan would have creative in their list of five words. He is not a creative player. Bale, Dembele and Holtby are creative, not Dempsey.

Dempsey can be creative at times (ie that lovely pass to Walker vs City), so he has the ability to a certain extent. The problem is , he is very inconsistent and far too slow when the ball is at his feet

Dempsey can be creative at times (ie that lovely pass to Walker vs City), so he has the ability to a certain extent. The problem is , he is very inconsistent and far too slow when the ball is at his feet

My point is, he is not a creative player. Three assists all season is not the work of a creative player.

Jerking our knee are we? Jan has been supreme all season and yes he did get beaten in the air at the corner but even the best do sometimes. The Thing couldn't have blocked that shot for the second goal once it left his boot. Jan is by far and away our best defender and about as far away from a scapegoat as one can possibly get.

He cost us a goal at a corner the other week as well, and probably the game against basle with that tackle... so yes he has been great on the whole but this last month or so not so much.

He cost us a goal at a corner the other week as well, and probably the game against basle with that tackle... so yes he has been great on the whole but this last month or so not so much.

Fair points but I hardly think he is a valid scapegoat. In the time that he has made those mistakes he has probably saved us a few times as well.

Why does someone have to be a scapegoat? He was at fault for the goal, and has been at fault a few times for goals.

Thats it.

He is not immune, but that doesnt make him a scapegoat.

Why does someone have to be a scapegoat? He was at fault for the goal, and has been at fault a few times for goals.

Thats it.

He is not immune, but that doesnt make him a scapegoat.

Well someone has to be one if Ade's not playing.

Claiming that Dempsey is creative is mad. He has played 1,747 mins of football for Spurs in the PL this year (thereabouts) and has provided three assists which is one every 582 mins or one ever six and a half games. Lewis Holtby has one assists in around 481 mins of PL football, no need to provide the rate of assists. So although Dempsey has more assists it is by virtue of playing over three times as much football. Factor into that the fact that most of Holtby's appearances are from the bench and it takes a bit of time to settle in to a game coming off the bench, the pendulum swings even more in Lewis' favour.

I'm glad you asked Pairsy.

The answer is.....

We signed Lewis at the end of Jan. how could he possibly have played the same amount of minutes as Dempsey? You can't use those stats to back up a salient point as its not fact.

You can extrapolate but it's worthless.

That's why mate. And don't worry about neg reps. It just means so me one has read your post.

I'm glad you asked Pairsy.

The answer is.....

We signed Lewis at the end of Jan. how could he possibly have played the same amount of minutes as Dempsey? You can't use those stats to back up a salient point as its not fact.

You can extrapolate but it's worthless.

That's why mate. And don't worry about neg reps. It just means so me one has read your post.

First off I couldn't care less about neg rep, I just want to talk about Spurs so when someone disagrees with me I wanna know why.

The fact that Lewis has not played as much football as Deuces was not the point, the point was merely that he had a better ratio of assists to minutes. Of course the stats are going to be slightly skew-whiff because they haven't played the same amount of minutes. However I hasten to add that in his short time at Schalke at the beginning of the season Lewis bagged seven assists.

First off I couldn't care less about neg rep, I just want to talk about Spurs so when someone disagrees with me I wanna know why.

The fact that Lewis has not played as much football as Deuces was not the point, the point was merelythat he had a better ratio of assists to minutes. Of course the stats are going to be slightly skew-whiff because they haven't played the same amount of minutes. However I hasten to add that in his short time at Schalke at the beginning of the season Lewis bagged seven assists.

Maybe I was being a bit pedantic. But I can't see how you can compare the two. For instance. How many points has Dempsey's goals earnt us?

He does seem to have knack to score important goals.

I love Lewis and welcome his signing but don't use him to slag of Dempsey when your argument is based on playing time.

Maybe I was being a bit pedantic. But I can't see how you can compare the two. For instance. How many points has Dempsey's goals earnt us?

He does seem to have knack to score important goals.

I love Lewis and welcome his signing but don't use him to slag of Dempsey when your argument is based on playing time.

I don't disagree that Dempsey has a fantastic knack of getting vital goals but the discussion was about his creativity, I wasn't using Lewis to slag him off simply to compare the two on their ability to create because someone had said that Clint was a creative player, more so than Lewis.

Isn't that a bit like the "a broken watch is right twice a day" argument? If Dempsey is on the pitch long enough, he's bound to make a pass or 2 that get turned in by another player - and bingo, its caled an assist! I have seen enough of Dempsey this season to be of the opinion that he wouldn't go down on my list of players that I would put under a list headed "Creative."

Thudd is creative, simply because he spent the entire game taking the ball from defence and releasing it to players in forward positions, giving them an opportunity to make a run or shot on goal. His biggest issue, as we all know is his mobility, his control and passing at times are Hoddle like, the latter 2 facets which in my opinion are Dempseys biggest failings.

Our biggest problem is that we are missing our most creative and tirelessly effective player, probably since Gascoigne, in Modric. The other big missing link was the other sedentary creative talent in VDV, who also had the beautiful knack of being a reasonable goal getter.

Isn't that a bit like the "a broken watch is right twice a day" argument? If Dempsey is on the pitch long enough, he's bound to make a pass or 2 that get turned in by another player - and bingo, its caled an assist! I have seen enough of Dempsey this season to be of the opinion that he wouldn't go down on my list of players that I would put under a list headed "Creative."

Thudd is creative, simply because he spent the entire game taking the ball from defence and releasing it to players in forward positions, giving them an opportunity to make a run or shot on goal. His biggest issue, as we all know is his mobility, his control and passing at times are Hoddle like, the latter 2 facets which in my opinion are Dempseys biggest failings.

Our biggest problem is that we are missing our most creative and tirelessly effective player, probably since Gascoigne, in Modric. The other big missing link was the other sedentary creative talent in VDV, who also had the beautiful knack of being a reasonable goal getter.

Modric is definitely missed

You can see the impact his departure has has on Parker and Adebayor Both shells of the players there were a year ago

Modric is definitely missed

You can see the impact his departure has has on Parker and Adebayor Both shells of the players there were a year ago
I don't think either is down to Modric. Parker is ageing, and its starting to show, Adebayor is simply doing to us, what he has done to every other club he's played for.

edit - sorry that trivialises your answer, which I hadn't intended, yes he will be missed by both players, because of his talents - but IMV the other factors are contributary in greater measure for the two you mentioned.

I don't think either is down to Modric. Parker is ageing, and its starting to show, Adebayor is simply doing to us, what he has done to every other club he's played for.

edit - sorry that trivialises your answer, which I hadn't intended, yes he will be missed by both players, because of his talents - but IMV the other factors are contributary in greater measure for the two you mentioned.

I dont know man.

Parker really didn't need to do too much moving foward last year w/ Modric handling most of the holding responsibilities and releasing passes forward. That pass before the pass.

Dembele is solid, but doesn't have that same depth from a holding & passing perspective, which has put more pressure on Parker to an extent.

And regarding Ade. He was never a good technical finisher to begin with and that service last year included Bale/Lennon on the wings, VDV in the CAM role & Modric in the CM spot. That is world class service and he still dropped only 12 goals from the run of play. But he did set up other and his hold up play is top notch. If only we could combine Defoe and Ade's best attriubutes into one player. lol

Back
Top Bottom