The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Crazy that going into the last day 4 teams could still have Champions League football next season in the balance.

Hopefully we have it sewn up by then. You know what this clubs like with expectation.

The clubs in the 7-10 range (Everton, Wolves, Watford, Leicester) get overlooked, but they are more than capable of getting a result against anybody. They are also all going for 7th place and Europa League, which is a big deal for those clubs to get that exposure and experience.

Woolwich play all of them on the road (already lost to Everton), Chelsea play at Leicester and against Watford (plus Liverpool and United), and United play at Everton (plus City and Chelsea).

I'd argue we have the easiest run-in of any of them.

Fuckme what a long post. Did not read it all. Gave up after the first paragraph. Basically let's just try and win every game. No control over others and er let's see how it pans out

I love the many disagreements with my post. What else is in our control except to win every game. We cannot control other results.

I have a horrible feeling about West Ham at home. They literally have nothing else to play for than to try and fuck up our season by helping to deny us CL football.

We also know the football gods do us no favours after that incredibly galling draw at home last season that was only saved by a Sonny screamer.

Being positive, however, the crowd should be on top form for that one to drive the lads on.

That's hard enough when you consider our games.

I actually think we will need less now although how many I am not sure

Aside from United's win a good football weekend for us and a big boost on our goal difference.

We're in a position where the other teams simply can't slip up.

Woolwich have away games at Watford, Wolves, Leicester & Burnley, Chelsea have to get maximum points away at Man U, Leicester etc, Man U need to get maximum points vs Man City & Chelsea at home, as well as Everton away etc whilst we can afford to drop points in one game.

The points gained this weekend, along with a solid increase in our GD has done us the world of good. Maximum points from our remaining home games I think will get us there. The weekend could have been a lot worse

I have a horrible feeling about West Ham at home. They literally have nothing else to play for than to try and fuck up our season by helping to deny us CL football.

We also know the football gods do us no favours after that incredibly galling draw at home last season that was only saved by a Sonny screamer.

Being positive, however, the crowd should be on top form for that one to drive the lads on.

They've given it a good old go against Chelsea & Man U this week and got nothing out of it. Personally I think if the new place is jumping and we play our usual game we'll eventually pick them off. Got to treat it like a huge Derby game as if we were playing Woolwich though.

They've given it a good old go against Chelsea & Man U this week and got nothing out of it. Personally I think if the new place is jumping and we play our usual game we'll eventually pick them off. Got to treat it like a huge Derby game as if we were playing Woolwich though.
Hmm... we know what West Ham are like though. They should hate Chelsea more than us, but yet they end up having a weird "we hate Tottenham" love in together. They don't raise their game for either of those opponents like they do against us.

I get it, there's a big part of this where it's my Spurs-fandom brain just worrying and fearing the worst. An early goal against West Ham would be enormous.

Hmm... we know what West Ham are like though. They should hate Chelsea more than us, but yet they end up having a weird "we hate Tottenham" love in together. They don't raise their game for either of those opponents like they do against us.

I get it, there's a big part of this where it's my Spurs-fandom brain just worrying and fearing the worst. An early goal against West Ham would be enormous.

Usually I'd agree but they really threw everything at Chelsea in the 2nd half as well as the full 90 vs Man U, I'd be amazed if they have another level to their game. Still a long way to go but with home games vs Brighton, West Ham & Everton, as well as an away game against Bournemouth to get 9-10 points from I think it's shaping up alright for us.

With Man U & Chelsea to play one another, a wobble from Woolwich secures it for us. 4 tough away games for a team well known to have a shoddy record away from the Emirates against arguably the hardest teams to play away from home outside of the top 4. No Sokratis tomorrow along with 7th probably getting Europa does us a big solid

Last edited:
We're in a position where the other teams simply can't slip up.

Woolwich have away games at Watford, Wolves, Leicester & Burnley, Chelsea have to get maximum points away at Man U, Leicester etc, Man U need to get maximum points vs Man City & Chelsea at home, as well as Everton away etc whilst we can afford to drop points in one game.

The points gained this weekend, along with a solid increase in our GD has done us the world of good. Maximum points from our remaining home games I think will get us there. The weekend could have been a lot worse

I would say it could hardly have been better.

Maybe a pulled hamstring for De Bruyne and Sterling!!

Usually I'd agree but theynreally threw everything at Chelsea innthe 2nd half as well as the full 90 vs Man U, I'd be amazed if they have another level to their game. Still a long way to go but with home games vs Brighton, West Ham & Everton, as well as an away game against Bournemouth to get 9-10 points from I think it's shaping up alright for us.

With Man U & Chelsea to play one another, a wobble from Woolwich secures it for us. 4 tough away games for a team well known to have a shoddy record away from the Emirates against arguably the hardest teams to play away from home outside of the top 4. No Sokratis tomorrow along with 7th probably getting Europa does us a big solid
On another plus - I was starting to feel a little nervous thinking about the final game of the season against Everton (considering how decent they were against Chelsea and Woolwich) but glad to see them returning to 'unexpectedly bad' this weekend. Besides, they'll hopefully be on the beach for that one.

Side note: is Knockaert suspended for our game against Brighton following his red card against Bournemouth?

Looking at it. The I feel the magic number is 77 points.

United play Shity and Cheatski. So I think they would do well to get top 4. But if they were to win 4 and draw 1 that’s 77 points.

I can’t see Chelsea winning 4 games ( and they can’t with the above) so I am assuming 10 points for them. That’s 76.

The Goons are the “unknown” element. YET AGAIN they have that magic game in hand and can get to 81 points which puts them 3rd. Can they win 4 away games given how shit they are on the road ? Big if and it would have to be special but they “Could” win 5 from 6 = 78 points.

I think maybe, doomsday comes, and it’s going to be Spurs 4th on 77 points. With 3 wins a draw and a defeat still to come for us.

Season ends

Woolwich 78 points
Tottenham 77 points
United 77 points - way off on goal difference
Chelsea 76 points.

Please excuse any mistakes in my maths. Rushing through possibilities!

United play Shity and Cheatski. So I think they would do well to get top 4. But if they were to win 4 and draw 1 that’s 77 points.

I can’t see Chelsea winning 4 games ( and they can’t with the above) so I am assuming 10 points for them. That’s 76.

The Goons are the “unknown” element. YET AGAIN they have that magic game in hand and can get to 81 points which puts them 3rd. Can they win 4 away games given how shit they are on the road ? Big if and it would have to be special but they “Could” win 5 from 6 = 78 points.

I think maybe, doomsday comes, and it’s going to be Spurs 4th on 77 points. With 3 wins a draw and a defeat still to come for us.

Season ends

Woolwich 78 points
Tottenham 77 points
Chelsea 76 points.

Important to note that, while Woolwich finishing above us would be horrible, the bottom line is top 4.

After the last couple of matches, I'd say that things have fallen about as well as we could have hoped regarding United and Chelsea - especially with those two having to play one another.

Considering the way their fanbase behaved a couple of weeks ago, it would be beyond hilarious if Woolwich finished 5th. Unfortunately, it's probably a long shot for one of Chelsea or United to finish above them, but you never know...

But on the other hand, fuck West Ham.

Season ends

Woolwich 78 points
Tottenham 77 points
Chelsea 76 points.

Woolwich have won 5 league away games all season...Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham, Bournemouth and Huddersfield...the last one is the only one they've won this year....I think you are being a tad optimistic.

If nothing else I've learned over the years, never assume anything, I will be on tenterhooks until it is mathematically proven that we are in top four.
Absolutely this. We got fortunate last season with top 4 getting tied up with a game to go thanks to Huddersfield bravely earning a point at Stamford Bridge.

Even if we do go into the final game with CL already secured, you can bet we'll end up sweating over finishing above Woolwich.

Woolwich have won 5 league away games all season...Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham, Bournemouth and Huddersfield...the last one is the only one they've won this year....I think you are being a tad optimistic.
I said. Big if. But we have all seen it all before with them cunts. All of a sudden they click. Tomorrow will be a pointer.

Back
Top Bottom