The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope we treat this like a race for the top three because whoever finishes fourth may not qualify this year.
As the table stands, imagine is City won the CL and Woolwich the Europa. Utd would then miss out on CL football next year. I hope this happens to one of rivals, I just don't want it to be us it happens to again.

The only way 4th place doesn't get CL is if the winners of the EL and CL finish OUTSIDE the top 4.

So City winning the CL means fuck all.

So the safest thing is Man U getting a tough one tomorrow, even though I'd fancy our chances against them in the QF or SF
I think we can now put to bed the chances of any team finishing outside the top 4 winning the CL. I think Chelsea finish outside the top 4 but win the EL. Looking at schedules, we should be able to get 16 points from the last 8 games, and that should put is in the top 4.

Last edited:
I think we can now put to bed the chances of any team finishing outside the top 4 winning the CL. I think Chelsea finish outside the top 4 but win the EL. Looking at schedules, we should be able to get 16 points from the last 8 games, and that should put is in the top 4.

Mate I've watched a poor Chelsea team consisting of Ryan Bertrand etc overcome Barcelona and Bayern Munich to kick us in the teeth. I'm not ruling Man U out of doing similar and neither should the club, in fact the team need to expect this as a genuine scenario, they need to believe that 4th place won't be good enough to qualify for next season

So

Final PL table
City
Liverpool
Utd
Spurs

Chelsea v Woolwich EL final so one of them will get a CL spot

Do we lose our CL place?

So

Final PL table
City
Liverpool
Utd
Spurs

Chelsea v Woolwich EL final so one of them will get a CL spot

Do we lose our CL place?

We only lose our place if it looks like this or something similar etc:

Man City
Liverpool
Woolwich
Tottenham
Man U
Chelsea

Man U win the Champions League, Chelsea win the Europa League. We basically need both the 5th & 6th place teams not to win the cups in Europe. One or the other is fine but not both. It's fine for the team that is in the Europa (Woolwich or Chelsea) to win it and finish in the top 4 if Man U wins the Champions League, we just can't finish 4th and have 5th & 6th in the League win the European competitions

Mate I've watched a poor Chelsea team consisting of Ryan Bertrand etc overcome Barcelona and Bayern Munich to kick us in the teeth. I'm not ruling Man U out of doing similar and neither should the club, in fact the team need to expect this as a genuine scenario, they need to believe that 4th place won't be good enough to qualify for next season
I think the club wants to solidify their spot in 3rd for a myriad of reasons, so I don't think that is a concern.

I believe the chances of the CL winner to be an English club outside the top 4 is very unlikely as only us and United could do it. 40:1 odds by some rough math based on a few different things floating around out there.

I think the club wants to solidify their spot in 3rd for a myriad of reasons, so I don't think that is a concern.

I believe the chances of the CL winner to be an English club outside the top 4 is very unlikely as only us and United could do it. 40:1 odds by some rough math based on a few different things floating around out there.

Man U are 5 games away from doing what Chelsea did that year to the team that finishes 4th potentially. Get past Barcelona and they will get to play either Porto or Liverpool, very winnable for Man U both of those are and then it's final time.

Personally I want to see them get hammered in that first leg vs Barcelona almost as much as I want to see us do City. One dodgy decision or sending off in that Man U vs Barcelona game throws those odds drastically down and we all know anything can happen in a game of football

Last edited:

From the last month, it would seem impossible for us to get Top 5. That's how bad it's been. Expected, or rather our shit attitude has caught up with us, but still infuriating.

We can all be the most supportive fans, but can Poch inspire this group? Can they show it on the pitch? Does Poch have the tactical nous to respond to teams like Burnley and Southampton? We'll see.

From the last month, it would seem impossible for us to get Top 5. That's how bad it's been. Expected, or rather our shit attitude has caught up with us, but still infuriating.

We can all be the most supportive fans, but can Poch inspire this group? Can they show it on the pitch? Does Poch have the tactical nous to respond to teams like Burnley and Southampton? We'll see.

I missed this part.... Got any links?

I'm guessing your first para isnt part of this claim?

I'm not shitting myself about the top 4 unless we drop points at home. We haven't lost at home since May 8th, 2016. Haven't dropped points at home since October 29th, 2016. When that happens I'll join the melt brigade.

A forum of 5-year-olds.

No faces in here.

Probably been following us since 2007 or something.

90% of people in here won't have heard of Dozzell, Nethercott, Samways, Armstrong or Berti.

I actually ‘watched Mackay, White, Jones, Blanchflower........

Shall I go on???

Two games for us to keep a keen eye on this weekend even though we ain't playing.

Really we want Man U to draw with Wolves (replays at this stage right or is it extra time?) And we want Everton to make the most of their home advantage against the chavs

Two games that kind of impact Spurs in a way. One of the best things about being a team competing is how many more other games you are forced to take an interest in. The big one by far is the toffees doing us a favour though, would be like 3 points for us in all honesty

We only lose our place if it looks like this or something similar etc:

Man City
Liverpool
Woolwich
Tottenham
Man U
Chelsea

Man U win the Champions League, Chelsea win the Europa League. We basically need both the 5th & 6th place teams not to win the cups in Europe. One or the other is fine but not both. It's fine for the team that is in the Europa (Woolwich or Chelsea) to win it and finish in the top 4 if Man U wins the Champions League, we just can't finish 4th and have 5th & 6th in the League win the European competitions

Man U are 5 games away from doing what Chelsea did that year to the team that finishes 4th potentially. Get past Barcelona and they will get to play either Porto or Liverpool, very winnable for Man U both of those are and then it's final time.

Personally I want to see them get hammered in that first leg vs Barcelona almost as much as I want to see us do City. One dodgy decision or sending off in that Man U vs Barcelona game throws those odds drastically down and we all know anything can happen in a game of football

Christ... is THIS what it's come to...?

We may have a vested interest in results elsewhere... but IF WE 'just' take care of OUR business, what anyone else does is their concern... not ours!

Christ... is THIS what it's come to...?

We may have a vested interest in results elsewhere... but IF WE 'just' take care of OUR business, what anyone else does is their concern... not ours!

The same applies to City & Liverpool at the moment as well. Both are equally as interested in how the other team does, that's part and parcel of the business end to a season.

With Liverpool & Man City away in the league, we 100% have a big interest in how teams fare vs Man U, Chelsea & Woolwich for the next couple of months, that's the price we pay for getting 1 point out of a possible 12 our last 4 games mate

Back
Top Bottom