The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've done more miles for this club than you've had hot dinners, son.

Wind your neck in.

I want what is the best for the club.

IMO

ENIC - ought to stay. I don't wanna be another oil club, and although they frustrate us, we'll never become a Leeds with them at the helm.
Poch - must stay. Without him, nothing matters. Yes, he makes mistakes, but he is building from the bottom up with almost no resources.
Jan, Kane, Dele, Sonny - must stay.
Trippier, Dier - too many unforced errors, too many lapses of concentration, too many critical mistakes. They've both been given more than enough chances. Get rid.
Sissoko, Lamela, Davies, Rose, Llorente - probably not quite good enough, but keep them around: they can contribute.
Eriksen, Toby - good on their days, but too inconsistent, and neither looks like he wants to be here.

Signings - Prio 1 = a RB. Would also make bids for Maguire (top centre half) and Vardy (ruthless).

Well mate, after a car-crash of a start, you've started to post some sense. I agree with 95% (5% disagree includes Dier & Vardy) of your analysis above.

Fwiw, my first game was in 1973 and there are lots more like me (and older) on here, we don't appreciate being treated with disrespect by billy-big-bollocks first-time posters. Which is not to say that the kids who started supporting us 5 years ago, and haven't been to Kazakstan, haven't got equally valid opinions - they have.

This forum is uncensored and unmoderated but, perhaps if you wind your neck in, and be a bit more civil to everyone to start with, you'll enjoy it more and we'll enjoy having another decent fan in the forum.

You sound like TTID so I hope that's the case and that you'll stay to become a friend of the forum - welcome.

Well mate, after a car-crash of a start, you've started to post some sense. I agree with 95% (5% disagree includes Dier & Vardy) of your analysis above.

Fwiw, my first game was in 1973 and there are lots more like me (and older) on here, we don't appreciate being treated with disrespect by billy-big-bollocks first-time posters. Which is not to say that the kids who started supporting us 5 years ago, and haven't been to Kazakstan, haven't got equally valid opinions - they have.

This forum is uncensored and unmoderated but, perhaps if you wind your neck in, and be a bit more civil to everyone to start with, you'll enjoy it more and we'll enjoy having another decent fan in the forum.

You sound like TTID so I hope that's the case and that you'll stay to become a friend of the forum - welcome.

Cheers, fella.

LOL.... You're my new favourite poster.

What's next you gonna PM me urging me to meet you so you can show me who's boss?

Yet for all your bluster... You're just churning out shit that I've read on here 100s of times already? ...Wave your little transfer window wand and we'll become serial winners with any mentality concerns long gone???? ....Really? Is that the BEST you've got?

Pretty pathetic given the fan-fayre you give yourself..... Where's the magic ultra-insight one ought to be able to expect from the worlds most dedicated Yido?

Listen, pal, I criticised the mentality of the boys and you or someone else called me a Scouser. That's not on.

Not transfers are we need you can see a 360 approach to bring home the bacon.

Whatever happens, I trust in Poch. I love the guy, but he's not a magician.

We need to get behind the boys.

Listen, pal, I criticised the mentality of the boys and you or someone else called me a Scouser. That's not on.

Not transfers are we need you can see a 360 approach to bring home the bacon.

Whatever happens, I trust in Poch. I love the guy, but he's not a magician.

We need to get behind the boys.

I did not call you a Scouser.

I just questioned the manner with which you were wading about without caring to know your surroundings or fellow posters.

Your supa-fan act; demanding respect, assuming (in absolute ignorance!) you were a better caliber of fan; that your frustration must be on another level to everyone else etc. only served to consolidate the very impression you'd already painted of yourself.

Onwards and upwards for those capable. :)

Just when even we thought we would not be able to fuck up finishing 3rd..here we go again... imo we will not be in the top 4 by the end of the season..and levy and others should be held accountable for it. But they won't, as always some will say but we have a shiny new stadium yay. ...so what this is a football club, if u bought a nice new big house but then your wife left would you not give a shit because you has said big new house .....no you would be pissed and so should we....

Just when even we thought we would not be able to fuck up finishing 3rd..here we go again... imo we will not be in the top 4 by the end of the season..and levy and others should be held accountable for it. But they won't, as always some will say but we have a shiny new stadium yay. ...so what this is a football club, if u bought a nice new big house but then your wife left would you not give a shit because you has said big new house .....no you would be pissed and so should we....
Depends how tidy your wife is

Collectively, the top six clubs have accumulated 383 points - which is 12 more than at the same stage last season, the previous high. And that's despite Chelsea still having a game to play.

Top six Premier League clubs record all-time dominance

When you take into account that Spurs have got the same amount of points at this stage of the season as we did last season, meaning we haven't contributed to this seasons increase of 12 points with an extra game in hand for Chelsea to play shows serious improvement levels colllectively for the big boys.

We are not strong enough playing-wise but managed to be a challenging 3rd after 26 (2/3rds of the season). A real achievement but no different from not being fancied but sticking to the breakaway pack of 5 runners in a marathon.

We lack mental fortitude and it is at its highest when games REALLY matter as opposed to mattering but retrievable.

And Pochettino fails to park huge wins and focus with 100% clarity and comviction for the next match. His failure in my opinion.

Top 4 is now an 8 game race where we are still in the box seat, so can lose one game without consequence. That was 5 games before the Burnley match.

Should we slip out of the top 4, Pochettino is 100% to blame if you accept he performed wonders getting us to being so close after 26 games. The two assessments go hand in hand.

It's his last hurdle (winning a big game and then another and another when crucial) but after this season I feel we will go backwards (not sure by how much) before we go forward again, possibly regardless of CL qualification.

We are not strong enough playing-wise but managed to be a challenging 3rd after 26 (2/3rds of the season). A real achievement but no different from not being fancied but sticking to the breakaway pack of 5 runners in a marathon.

We lack mental fortitude and it is at its highest when games REALLY matter as opposed to mattering but retrievable.

And Pochettino fails to park huge wins and focus with 100% clarity and comviction for the next match. His failure in my opinion.

Top 4 is now an 8 game race where we are still in the box seat, so can lose one game without consequence. That was 5 games before the Burnley match.

Should we slip out of the top 4, Pochettino is 100% to blame if you accept he performed wonders getting us to being so close after 26 games. The two assessments go hand in hand.

It's his last hurdle (winning a big game and then another and another when crucial) but after this season I feel we will go backwards (not sure by how much) before we go forward again, possibly regardless of CL qualification.
I thought the 2 games v Dortmund were pretty big... though after the wonders of the first leg, the 2nd leg suddenly didn't become crucial (but surely that's 'cos of the wonders of the 1st leg?

I thought the 2 games v Dortmund were pretty big... though after the wonders of the first leg, the 2nd leg suddenly didn't become crucial (but surely that's 'cos of the wonders of the 1st leg?

I get your point but would disagree.

Last 16 is important but to what extent? No real sense of glory at that stage would be my argument although I am happy to be challenged on that.

I think the Burnley game straight after was actually a bigger test and we failed it. Whatever the reasons we lost and that is 100% our weakness.

I get your point but would disagree.

Last 16 is important but to what extent? No real sense of glory at that stage would be my argument although I am happy to be challenged on that.

I think the Burnley game straight after was actually a bigger test and we failed it. Whatever the reasons we lost and that is 100% our weakness.
To the extent that you can't win a Knockout competition without getting through EVERY group... be that the 3rd round of the Cup... or the last 16 of the CL... they're all important, though I get that the PRESSURE is heightened the deeper you get into the Competition!

To the extent that you can't win a Knockout competition without getting through EVERY group... be that the 3rd round of the Cup... or the last 16 of the CL... they're all important, though I get that the PRESSURE is heightened the deeper you get into the Competition!

Okay, so actually you are agreeing. When the piston pump of pressure is at its height Pochettino has not yet found the answer.

Nobody can convince me otherwise because the group of players Pochettino has had over the last 4 years have beem good enough to get to that moment of opportunity..

And failed every single time.

Okay, so actually you are agreeing. When the piston pump of pressure is at its height Pochettino has not yet found the answer.

Nobody can convince me otherwise because the group of players Pochettino has had over the last 4 years have beem good enough to get to that moment of opportunity..

And failed every single time.
Well, To an extent... had we failed EVERY single time, then we wouldn't even have made it past the opening round of ANY Cup Competition we entered...

Remember, our run to the League cup Semi Final this season took in 'pressure' matches AWAY against West Ham AND Woolwich.... high octane games at ANY given time of the season, regaedless of the competition ... and we pretty much sailed through both. How we would ALL have liked Burton Albion in the Semis... but it wasn't to be. Unless the random Cup draw was Poch's fault too??

....and think of the added pressure we put ourselves under (albeit self inflicted) in the Group stage of the CL this season...

The Inter home match was do or die... and Barca away was impossibly pressurised if we didn't wanna go out... and yet we came through it... SOMEHOW!

Agreed, when push comes to shove, the semi finals have proved to be a stumbling block time and time again when Poch has been in charge...

But just look at the teams we have faced in pretty much every one of those games...
If it's not been Chelsea, it's been Man Utd...

The only semi final in recent memory I went into with ANY shred of optimism due to the opposition was against Portsmouth... and look how that turned out!! And that was hardly Poch's fault!

For the most part, each of the Semis we've gone into bar maybe one, have been as UNDERDOGS...

If anything, we're guilty of not being able to pull off a CUP SHOCK!

Last edited:
I did not call you a Scouser.

I just questioned the manner with which you were wading about without caring to know your surroundings or fellow posters.

Your supa-fan act; demanding respect, assuming (in absolute ignorance!) you were a better caliber of fan; that your frustration must be on another level to everyone else etc. only served to consolidate the very impression you'd already painted of yourself.

Onwards and upwards for those capable. :)
Calibre

I hope we treat this like a race for the top three because whoever finishes fourth may not qualify this year.
As the table stands, imagine is City won the CL and Woolwich the Europa. Utd would then miss out on CL football next year. I hope this happens to one of rivals, I just don't want it to be us it happens to again.

Back
Top Bottom