The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totti

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Actually, this is meant to be a POSITIVE thread.

We've had a fucking up and down last few weeks with the horrible loss away at Burnley which dented our title hopes and then the loss away at Chelsea which pretty much destroyed any hope of it. The draw against Woolwich which dragged us down to a battle for top four and now the loss against Southampton which has put us in a war for top four.

BUT.....

We're moving into our new home guys. It's been confirmed. We have FIVE remaining home games from our final 8 games. With the passion of the home fans behind this talented team, the roar of that new White Hart Lane crowd, we'll see it through and we'll get there.

Sure, we have Liverpool and Man City to play away from home and on this form it's very likely that's 0 points whilst our rivals could nip in ahead of us.

BUT....

They don't have it so easy either. Just look at our rivals remaining fixtures.

Man Utd:
Woolwich (A), Watford (H), Wolves (A), West Ham (H), Everton (A), Man City (H), Chelsea (H), Huddersfield (A), Cardiff (H).

Woolwich:
Man Utd (H), Newcastle (H), Everton (A), Watford (A), Palace (H), Wolves (A), Leicester (A), Brighton (H), Burnley (A)

Chelsea:
Wolves (H), Everton (A), Cardiff (A), West Ham (H), Liverpool (A), Brighton (H), Burnley (H), Man Utd (A), Watford (H), Leicester (A)

--

Let's get behind this team, get into our new stadium and get back to winning ways and end this season strong. Because those below us WILL drop points from now until the end of the season.

COYS

We've had a fucking up and down last few weeks with the horrible loss away at Burnley which dented our title hopes and then the loss away at Chelsea which pretty much destroyed any hope of it. The draw against Woolwich which dragged us down to a battle for top four and now the loss against Southampton which has put us in a war for top four.

BUT.....

We're moving into our new home guys. It's been confirmed. We have FIVE remaining home games from our final 8 games. With the passion of the home fans behind this talented team, the roar of that new White Hart Lane crowd, we'll see it through and we'll get there.

Sure, we have Liverpool and Man City to play away from home and on this form it's very likely that's 0 points whilst our rivals could nip in ahead of us.

BUT....

Man Utd:
Woolwich (A), Watford (H), Wolves (A), West Ham (H), Everton (A), Man City (H), Chelsea (H), Huddersfield (A), Cardiff (H).

Woolwich:
Man Utd (H), Newcastle (H), Everton (A), Watford (A), Palace (H), Wolves (A), Leicester (A), Brighton (H), Burnley (A)

Chelsea:
Wolves (H), Everton (A), Cardiff (A), West Ham (H), Liverpool (A), Brighton (H), Burnley (H), Man Utd (A), Watford (H), Leicester (A)

--

Let's get behind this team, get into our new stadium and get back to winning ways and end this season strong. Because those below us WILL drop points from now until the end of the season.

COYS

Woolwich have a decent run in, but yeah that run of home games in the new stadium could give us the boost we need to get over the line.

We might well drag ourselves over the line, but it’s hardly inspiring stuff.

I know I’m in the minority on this, but Top 4 has always struck me as one of the naffest races in modern football. The argument that it attracts better players is simply not true - money does. CL does deliver some great nights, of course, but I think winning the FA cup does too (appreciate people don’t think much of it anymore). And if we finish fifth, well let’s go and win the Europa.

I guess what I’m rambling towards is that Top 4 let’s a team pretend they’ve won something, when they haven’t.

That said, always 100% behind the team.

COYS.

This is how the table will look after the weekend we play Liverpool if:

Chelsea: beat Wolves H, beat Everton A and beat Cardiff A
United: draw with Arenal A, beat Watford H
Woolwich: draw with United H, beat Newcastle H

We're fucked

index.php

We have more than enough quality to take 3rd place but at the moment we look like we can lose to anyone. We are going to have to play our best match of the season against Liverpool if we want to restore confidence. Lose again and I don't think the team will recover. There are only 24 points left to play for and we have left ourselves almost no room for error.

We need to go back to what we know works, what the players know, what gets our best players in their best positions.

Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Davies
Dier Winks
Eriksen Alli Son
Kane

If we can field this team in the last 8 matches then I'm confident we will secure CL football. If we carry on fiddling around using a 442 diamond then we are in big trouble, we cannot play that system. I don't know why Poch has become obsessed with it this season.

Look at this graph. SHOCKING. Performances have been steadily declining for 1.5 years and something has to change ASAP or this is only going to get worse.

If we want to make top 4 now we have to win EVERY game. Woolwich have the easiest run in ever and Man Utd are flying high.

Looking a bit grim tbh, considering how SHIT we were in the last month except the first half today. If we’re going to play like this for the rest of the season, make no mistake we’re going to finish out top 4 and even worse finish behind that incredibly mediocre Woolwich side.

What is making this worse is that we don’t have another official game for 3 weeks and the next game is against boogey Liverpool, so another defeat there could see us out of top 4 and I don’t know if we’ll be able to recover from there.

No-one is going to win every game. But, win at Anfield would bring us on top again. 3 weeks of rest is mis massive at the moment. This team should beat every team at NWHL and get 4 points on away matches.

No-one is going to win every game. But, win at Anfield would bring us on top again. 3 weeks of rest is mis massive at the moment. This team should beat every team at NWHL and get 4 points on away matches.
Liverpool haven't lost at Anfield for like a year. Their only home loss so far was against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup.

On current form we wouldn't beat our u23s so I'm not confident about getting more than 0 points there to be honest with you

It is not 3 weeks of rest for most of the players. Some have long journeys to play for their Country. Winning at Anfield is a rarity whatever team we have but when they are top 2 it is even more unlikely.

Liverpool haven't lost at Anfield for like a year. Their only home loss so far was against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup.

On current form we wouldn't beat our u23s so I'm not confident about getting more than 0 points there to be honest with you
Still, we hwe have 5 games at home. 15 points + Bournemouth away even if we don't get anything from Anfield and Etihad which I doubt.

They all have some tricky games left like Wolves, Leicester or Watford away.

Trying to cheer myself, but doesn't work...

It is not 3 weeks of rest for most of the players. Some have long journeys to play for their Country. Winning at Anfield is a rarity whatever team we have but when they are top 2 it is even more unlikely.

It’s going to take a miracle to win at Anfield.

Football is weird though so we might end up winning that game but it seems very unlikely.

We will probably get spanked.

BUT.....

BUT....

Man Utd:

Woolwich:

Chelsea:

--

COYS
I think we will drag ourselves over the line but the individual errors over the past 2 weeks have been cataclysmic. I’m just hoping we crack 80 points, and after we beat Dortmund I thought we could break 90.

Need to win the last 5 home games. Need to beat Bournemouth. That’s 18 points and 79 total assuming we lose to Liverpool and City. WE SHOULD BE FINE. But this has a whiff of chickens coming home to roost.

Back
Top Bottom