The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you don't think investing more in the team makes you better in general? You don't think we would be better if we invested more? Or you do because I think that's why you are saying city are so good?
Or are you saying there's no point us investing more & being better because city would invest even more & still be better?
Or city are only good because they invest so much. But if you invest a smaller amount it means there's no guarantee you will be better?

As for the "we never can compete with city & there cash", tell it to all the people who thought we could win the title just a few weeks ago. I agree with you on that one. You need to invest a lot to regularly win titles. I have always said that.
Also you say it's not as simple as spend more cash & you get better but then you say that's why city are so good.
Of COURSE spending money gets results... it always has... it's just the vast AMOUNTS we'd have to spend to compete with the likes of City STILL wouldn't be enough to compete....

And as for 2-3 weeks ago... we'd been told relentlessly ALL SEASON we most definitely WEREN'T in the Title race... then the VERY WEEKEND the Country sat up and took notice, and started to include us in the same sentence as City & Liverpool, we proceeded to spontaneously self-combust against Burnley... and have been doing so ever since!

I'd rather have stayed under the radar... written off and disregarded... THAT'S where we seemed to thrive!

Money or Mentality??

I'd rather mentality can beat Money every time.... but unfortunately, it's being proved time and time again that isn't the case.

You're right... we 'just' need to spend £500m plus per season to compete... easy!

You're only as good as your last result, I suppose.

Go back a month ago and he's praising us (like the pundits were) for being in the position we're in, competing for the title whilst having no stadium and making no signings in the last two windows.

Who is he?

Is envy the only reason why we would want Liverpool to lose the race for the title?

I've hated Liverpool fans for a long while, but after our capitulation to Saints, I realized I'd like the Dippers to win the title over the blood money of Man Shitty.

Mainly because it would show that it was possible for Spurs to have won it. I've heard we can't compete with Shitty and Chelsea so many times, but after Leicester and if Liverpool win it, it would show that it was possible. Yeah, Liverpool's wage bill is higher and they did splash the cash, which we can't, but what they did do was identify their weaknesses and went out to solve it whilst Levy & Poch combined to sign no one in two windows.

I think people are overlooking the fact that both Eriksen and Alderweireld are likely going to leave this summer, and once they do, how many players would we need to sign? How many more gaps would we have in the squad? It was never a good idea not to sign anyone or cut our losses on some, but we failed to do so.

People actually defended Levy for not signing anyone. The club have managed to convince some fans that not signing anyone was good for the club, that it was impossible to win the title, but was it really? So the reason I'd like Liverpool to win, despite their fans, is because Levy & Poch will have even less excuses to use for the failings of the club.

I'm tired of excuses and public relations. Stop fucking lying. For whatever reason, Lewis & Levy don't want to invest in the squad, and Poch has obviously not addressed his glaring weaknesses season after season. All the talk about ambition, when there really is none where it matters.

Is envy the only reason why we would want Liverpool to lose the race for the title?

I've hated Liverpool fans for a long while, but after our capitulation to Saints, I realized I'd like the Dippers to win the title over the blood money of Man Shitty.

Mainly because it would show that it was possible for Spurs to have won it. I've heard we can't compete with Shitty and Chelsea so many times, but after Leicester and if Liverpool win it, it would show that it was possible. Yeah, Liverpool's wage bill is higher and they did splash the cash, which we can't, but what they did do was identify their weaknesses and went out to solve it whilst Levy & Poch combined to sign no one in two windows.

I think people are overlooking the fact that both Eriksen and Alderweireld are likely going to leave this summer, and once they do, how many players would we need to sign? How many more gaps would we have in the squad? It was never a good idea not to sign anyone or cut our losses on some, but we failed to do so.

People actually defended Levy for not signing anyone. The club have managed to convince some fans that not signing anyone was good for the club, that it was impossible to win the title, but was it really? So the reason I'd like Liverpool to win, despite their fans, is because Levy & Poch will have even less excuses to use for the failings of the club.

I'm tired of excuses and public relations. Stop fucking lying. For whatever reason, Lewis & Levy don't want to invest in the squad, and Poch has obviously not addressed his glaring weaknesses season after season. All the talk about ambition, when there really is none where it matters.

I do know what you mean, but for me I dislike Liverpool supporters so don't want them to win anything.

I don't have a problem with Man Utd for the financial reasons you have stated.

Of COURSE spending money gets results... it always has... it's just the vast AMOUNTS we'd have to spend to compete with the likes of City STILL wouldn't be enough to compete....

And as for 2-3 weeks ago... we'd been told relentlessly ALL SEASON we most definitely WEREN'T in the Title race... then the VERY WEEKEND the Country sat up and took notice, and started to include us in the same sentence as City & Liverpool, we proceeded to spontaneously self-combust against Burnley... and have been doing so ever since!

I'd rather have stayed under the radar... written off and disregarded... THAT'S where we seemed to thrive!

Money or Mentality??

I'd rather mentality can beat Money every time.... but unfortunately, it's being proved time and time again that isn't the case.

You're right... we 'just' need to spend £500m plus per season to compete... easy!
Pretty much agree with most of that. Don't see what you gain by being cocky & start saying your going to win the title. Best to stay under the radar & keep the pressure off.
But I do disagree with you saying "you need to spend 500m every season just to compete." Anyway, hopefully we will manage top 4 & maybe even the semi's of the CL!

Fuck FOOTBALL...
Football as WE knew it is dead...
We either spend billions of some Arab's money... or we flounder like the rest...

Unfortunately... the media seem to side with the 'get success quick' schemes of Arab billionaires...

A slow, reasoned, SENSIBLE long term 'build from the foundations up' policy doesn't seem to hold much sway with the current 'ALL OR NOTHING' brigade currently polluting football with their modern breed of cancer...

FUCK modern football.... and what it's become!

That’s a good post. Cuts through the crap. I don’t know many of our fans though who think that not signing anyone in 2 windows was good for the club .

But I do disagree with you saying "you need to spend 500m every season just to compete." Anyway, hopefully we will manage top 4 & maybe even the semi's of the CL!
Point is.... we shouldn't have to.... but because of the LUDICROUSLY disgusting amounts spent on a PL title winning team... we're left with little option...

Either join them (and sell your soul) or watch them (and wonder WHY we didn't sell our souls!)

It's a conundrum alright!

Point is.... we shouldn't have to.... but because of the LUDICROUSLY disgusting amounts spent on a PL title winning team... we're left with little option...

Either join them (and sell your soul) or watch them (and wonder WHY we didn't sell our souls!)

It's a conundrum alright!

But we can work infinitely better than the last 400 plus days.

Unless you buy into nobody being better than what we have who we could afford.

A positive thread??

A thread hoping we get the top four when just a few weeks ago we were apparently in a title hunt?
Don't kid yourself.... we were NEVER in the 'Title Hunt' as SSN kept reminding us... until even THEY couldn't ignore the maths, when we were one win away from being 2 points behind the ACTUAL title chasers... at which point, we buckled....SEVERAL times, to allow them to JOYOUSLY proclaim us as bottlers for a title we were NEVER in.... until THEY Decided we were! At which point, we weren't.... so fuck'em for setting it up... and MORE FOOL US for falling for it!

Don't kid yourself.... we were NEVER in the 'Title Hunt' as SSN kept reminding us... until even THEY couldn't ignore the maths, when we were one win away from being 2 points behind the ACTUAL title chasers... at which point, we buckled....SEVERAL times, to allow them to JOYOUSLY proclaim us as bottlers for a title we were NEVER in.... until THEY Decided we were! At which point, we weren't.... so fuck'em for setting it up... and MORE FOOL US for falling for it!

Liverwank aren't on a shit hot run, they've let City into the running. We would have expected at least 9 points from our last four games. We got 1!

We bottled it this time.

We are still third. Exactly where we belong. 1 point from 12 and still there. Just goes to show how well we done up the last 4 games. But are risking pissing it away.

Update v1. 1

Spurs 79 points
Liverpool (A) 0, Brighton (H) 3, Huddersfield (H) 3, Man City (A) 0, West Ham (H) 3, Bournemouth (A) 3, Everton (H) 3, Palace (H) 3 - (18 points)

Man Utd: 77 points
Woolwich (A) 1, Watford (H) 3, Wolves (A) 1, West Ham (H) 3, Everton (A) 3, Man City (H) 1, Chelsea (H) 1, Huddersfield (A) 3, Cardiff (H) 3 - (19 points)

Chelsea: 77 points
Everton (A) 3, Cardiff (A) 3, West Ham (H) 3, Liverpool (A) 0, Brighton (H) 3, Burnley (H) 3, Man Utd (A) 1, Watford (H) 3, Leicester (A) 1 - (20 points)

Woolwich: 74 points
Man Utd (H) 1, Newcastle (H) 3, Everton (A) 3, Watford (A) 0, Palace (H) 3, Wolves (A) 0, Leicester (A) 1, Brighton (H) 3, Burnley (A) 3 - (17 points)

Before the Chelsea/Wolves match, I'd have taken a draw...
As it panned out, a 90th minute equaliser means we're DISAPPOINTED with that same draw.... put our game against them into context, and I'd say we should be happy with that draw... they dropped points, WE dropped points... 4th is STILL on our hands.... luckily enough!

Back
Top Bottom