The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It crossed my mind the other day that we found ourselves mathematically incapable of finishing behind Liverpool... what... 3 or 4 matches ago?

A little bit depressing. Aside from the Rodgers and Suarez year, we've consistently been better.

The good thing however is that despite losing ground on Liverpool this year we a) still have our nucleus of players together that finished above them so frequently b) are now back in N17 & c) still have the money from last window, whatever that was to invest further. In theory we have double available because we chose not to spend on an over inflated price or a player deemed not quite right for progression.

We're in a good place to hopefully keep incrementally growing. With astute signings we have the foundations to grow. Getting top 4 with no investment last summer really will be a huge plus for us this year & I honestly believe we are a win and a draw from achieving that which is fantastic for us to continue moving forward.

The good thing however is that despite losing ground on Liverpool this year we a) still have our nucleus of players together that finished above them so frequently b) are now back in N17 & c) still have the money from last window, whatever that was to invest further. In theory we have double available because we chose not to spend on an over inflated price or a player deemed not quite right for progression.

We're in a good place to hopefully keep incrementally growing. With astute signings we have the foundations to grow. Getting top 4 with no investment last summer really will be a huge plus for us this year & I honestly believe we are a win and a draw from achieving that which is fantastic for us to continue moving forward.
Important now to keep Eriksen. I was pessimistic on the chances of getting him to sign a new contract before, but all the right noises seem to be being made now.

Important now to keep Eriksen. I was pessimistic on the chances of getting him to sign a new contract before, but all the right noises seem to be being made now.

There seems to be a little more life in our maestro recently which is a great sign. I'm not sure if that's because his focus has switched from where he'll be playing next season towards making history in Europe but the things he's done in the last couple of games shows a little more bite and hunger. That belter he scored the other night will give him confidence and the team belief to keep going until the end. If Dele can hit a bit of form and knock one or two in before the season ends that could also prove crucial to us with a depleted looking attacking line.

Keeping Eriksen would be a significant moment, it really wouldn't surprise me if he wants to stay but needs to know his ambitions can be achieved here. Top 4, a Champions League semi final & potential final and a few impressive acquisitions this summer would probably lead to him having a far better feeling about us in the pit of his stomach than he did when strutting about infront of 40,000 at a half full Wembley.

He's top class and he deserves class around him as he reaches a key moment in his career age wise. The development of our football club must both excite and intrigue him for where he's currently at. Fingers crossed he sees what we all hope he sees with everything that's been put in place moving forward & that the club are aligned with what he is after as well.

This thread should be more about who else we want to finish in the top 4. Chelsea for me. The other two are becoming such badly run clubs that we could see a top 4 lockout for a few seasons that we were once on the wrong side of.
I was thinking Manu, so we could advertise as the only place in London to watch CL football. Also, makes MU retain Ole and stay away from a massive offer for Poch.

I was thinking Manu, so we could advertise as the only place in London to watch CL football. Also, makes MU retain Ole and stay away from a massive offer for Poch.
But, then again, they are our main competition for desirable transfers, so maybe Chelsea is better. We might have a better chance for talent if they know they can't play CL at United. Who knows?

Chelsea, purely because of how much they will struggle when Hazard leaves. Man U & Woolwich's star won't shine as bright if they miss out on the Champions League & if Chelsea end up having their transfer ban, Champions League player pull won't effect them regardless.

Chelsea to finish 4th & any team other than Woolwich to win the Europa will do me just fine but I won't get greedy, a few games ago all I was worried about was where we finish so I'll take whatever happens as a huge bonus after our slump in form a while back.

Focus is only on us, we can't alter what goes on elsewhere so I really ain't rooting for one or the other but if I had a preference with all things considered, probably Chelsea :s

Last edited:

We seem to be in competition to sign the same players as them though, such as Wan Bissaka. Them in the EL makes us favourites I would have thought, with them having to make do with Trippier.

Well something's got a bearing on the quality of players Man Utd can sign. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young... I could go on. The absolute state of that club.

Why exactly are they giving players like Sanchez 450k a week? Because other players are turning them down. Everyone would turn them down in favour of City and probably a lot of other clubs.

They've got all this revenue yes, but a lot is being pissed away on servicing debt, paying off ex managers, and wasted on overpaid players. United in the EL is just another reason not to go there.

Until they're not within the top 5 richest clubs in the world. It won't.

When a club can offer you 300k+ a week without it affecting them too much. It doesnt matter what competitions you play in.
They can't maintain this luxury forever, Woodward's face on match days shows the worry and says a lot.

can someone clarify something for me here? if the chavs win the europa league final and arse finish fifth, does that mean arse get the fourth spot for champions league next season? it doesn't, right?

can someone clarify something for me here? if the chavs win the europa league final and arse finish fifth, does that mean arse get the fourth spot for champions league next season? it doesn't, right?

No they'll miss out and it will be only 4 English teams instead of 5.

Only way we end up with 5 in that competition is if 5th place ends up winning Europa mate.

However I have just read that whoever wins the Europa League could directly impact our seeding in the Champions League next season. I've posted it in the Champions League thread but if certain situations in the Europa, Serie A & La Liga occur we could go back down into the 3rd pot for seedlings next season, meaning a tougher way out of the group stages.

Last edited:

If Chelsea win the EL and and we win the CL all that will happen is that calls to the Samaritans will dramatically increase in certain parts of North London.

Good old Klippety playing down the Dippers title chances now.... Always next year etc.

Lol..... "Next year, la'' = Peak dipper!

Give it another week and it'll be "oooh, they spent so much money; wah!" and wailing about various conspiracies.

Darren Lewis (dipper) reporting they'll have another spend up this summer.... What a coach!!!! :pochunimpressed:

Well something's got a bearing on the quality of players Man Utd can sign. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young... I could go on. The absolute state of that club.

Why exactly are they giving players like Sanchez 450k a week? Because other players are turning them down. Everyone would turn them down in favour of City and probably a lot of other clubs.

They've got all this revenue yes, but a lot is being pissed away on servicing debt, paying off ex managers, and wasted on overpaid players. United in the EL is just another reason not to go there.

Didn't Man U also miss out on Pedro as he preferred Chelsea at the last minute? Their name will only go so far with an elite level footballer unless theynchick silly money at him & we all know the risks that come withndoing things like that.

Back
Top Bottom