The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This game could be a really big one for our top 4 hopes. Been moved to Monday 8pm so we could very well know what we need to do going into it. Good news or bad?
This fixture will have to be rearranged again if we are in the CL semis.

This game could be a really big one for our top 4 hopes. Been moved to Monday 8pm so we could very well know what we need to do going into it. Good news or bad?

I think it's generally more advantageous for the home team if a game is played under lights, so it would be better if the game gets moved back to a daytime kick off, doubly so as it would mean we'd be in a CL semi final.

A hypothetical for you chaps...

If you had to decide between Liverpool winning the league and us getting top 4, or Liverpool deliciously fucking it up with us finishing 5th, what would you choose?

Alternative (and less high stakes) question: would you take 3rd place above Woolwich with Liverpool winning the league or 4th place below them with Man City winning the league?

For me, I have to put the development of our club above everything else and say that top four is key for us, regardless of Liverpool being temporarily insufferable.

On the latter question, I'd take Woolwich fan goading on the chin for one summer if it meant Liverpool didn't win the title.

If you had to decide between Liverpool winning the league and us getting top 4, or Liverpool deliciously fucking it up with us finishing 5th, what would you choose?

Alternative (and less high stakes) question: would you take 3rd place above Woolwich with Liverpool winning the league or 4th place below them with Man City winning the league?

For me, I have to put the development of our club above everything else and say that top four is key for us, regardless of Liverpool being temporarily insufferable.

On the latter question, I'd take Woolwich fan goading on the chin for one summer if it meant Liverpool didn't win the title.

Prioritise us qualifying of course, the second scenario I agree with you. Liverpool are loathsome enough to make me less interested in football if their wall to wall wank fest is backed up by actually winning something.

Last edited:

1st option: top 4 and Liverpool title
2nd option: finishing 3rd and Liverpool title

I hate Liverpool, but I hate scum 10x more.

Bad

Takes me back to 2015/16 when we drew against West Brom at home and Chelsea away, both Monday night games

The pressure will be on with our rivals already having played. Night game, away, TV cameras, recipe for disaster

Bad

Takes me back to 2015/16 when we drew against West Brom at home and Chelsea away, both Monday night games

The pressure will be on with our rivals already having played. Night game, away, TV cameras, recipe for disaster

It's Bournemouth though. They get to a point of safety and just give up. It happens every year. Ideal opponent late on in the season.

As much as I can’t stand pool our club comes first

Finishing above the scum. If we do that, we will finish top 4. I’m certain of that. Not a fuck given who wins the league out of city or the dippers. Equally loathsome for different reasons.
I can’t bear the thought of the gooner filth gloating about the return of St Totteringhams day.
My absolute priority is finishing above them. Everything else will fall into place if that happens.
I don’t care if it’s 3rd or 4th place. I’d even settle for 5th reluctantly if we finish above Woolwich. Very reluctantly.

Finishing above the scum. If we do that, we will finish top 4. I’m certain of that. Not a fuck given who wins the league out of city or the dippers. Equally loathsome for different reasons.
I can’t bear the thought of the gooner filth gloating about the return of St Totteringhams day.
My absolute priority is finishing above them. Everything else will fall into place if that happens.
I don’t care if it’s 3rd or 4th place. I’d even settle for 5th reluctantly if we finish above Woolwich. Very reluctantly.

I'd take finishing below Woolwich but only in the scenario that we finish 5th and win the CL, they finish 4th and Chelsea finish 6th and win the Europa League.

Just because it'd be fucking hilarious to see Woolwich play Europa League football again.

But that scenario is as unlikely as West Ham finishing in the top 4 in the next 100 years.

I've never understood why people put bragging rights above the best interests of Spurs. Each to their own and all of that but preferring Spurs to finish 5th and Woolwich 6th instead of us finishing 4th and them 3rd I'll never understand.

I don't like that lot as much as the next man but surely it's more about Tottenham than Woolwich isn't it? Top 4 and a crack at the Champions League next season + so much more money for us is surely worth stomaching a few moronic goons giving you stick right? We get stick either way, if we finish above them the usual repertoire of stick that in the trophy cabinet, we've won the league more times at your ground than you, what have you won recently will always rear its head.

I couldn't care less about Woolwich, that's how much I despise them. My love for Spurs isn't fuelled by them or what a div down the local has to shout at me as his wife sits at home pretending she values the caveman lifestyle.

Tottenham over anything for me. Ingenuonely couldn't care less if Liverpool win the League and their fans are intolerable or if Woolwich finish above us. We'd talk until the sun comes up about it so they clearly will and rightly so as well.

If I was offered 4th place right now, Woolwich finishing 3rd and Liverpool winning the League, if that guarantees us Champions League next season I'd run all the way to the bank. Fuck Woolwich, it's all about the boys in white and how we progress IMO.

Each to their own though pal, I've just never understood the logic others have about it all.

Everton should be 4-0 up against Woolwich at the moment, they're so dominant. Woolwich away from home are poor. So open, they are literally being cut to shreds.

I think we'll finish above them.

[EDIT: another clear chance goes missing for Everton. Should be 5-0 now]

Woolwich just have to lose one or draw two of Leicester, Watford or Wolves away and we can afford to lose to City if we win the rest. Palace at home and Burnley away could be tricky for them as well. Be very disappointed if they finish above us from here.

Top 4 odds after today's game:

Spurs 2/7
Woolwich 8/11
Chelsea 6/5
Man U 13/5

After today I think we can afford one more game where we drop points. That little bit of potential breathing space now and that's without all of the other teams having a blip

Back
Top Bottom