The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What are people’s thoughts if shit does end up horribly wrong for us. Does the blame fall on:

- Poch
- Levy and the Board
- Players
- or a combination of the above

For me the results are 99% due to player performance. Those 12 points were abtainable and for me the performances were lackluster.

Sure the board and Poch deserve blame for their window business, but tactically I don’t think we have been horrible. As fans the players have made calamitous errors that could cost us.

What are people’s thoughts if shit does end up horribly wrong for us. Does the blame fall on:

- Poch
- Levy and the Board
- Players
- or a combination of the above

For me the results are 99% due to player performance. Those 12 points were abtainable and for me the performances were lackluster.

Sure the board and Poch deserve blame for their window business, but tactically I don’t think we have been horrible. As fans the players have made calamitous errors that could cost us.

Players performances & injuries to key players I'd say play a huge part, followed by a lack of investment by the board, then Pochettino for his occasional choice in team that he selects, things he's said etc.

Resting Alderweireld and Aurier in such a huge game vs Southampton if rumours are to be believed with a 3 week break ahead of us I don't get. I trust the manager but I don't see many other teams rotate their fullbacks like we do so either I'm missing something of Poch loves a tinker. All I know is when Walker was at the club I don't remember as much rotation at FB as I do now.

All in all I'm very satisfied with how the season is/ has gone given the circumstances surrounding the club. It was always going to be a grind so I don't really blame anyone, o think the club has done a pretty admirable job on the whole even though there's been a dip in quality and results. Just got to hope we hit a bit of form and the lads genuinely treat the last 7-8 league games as cup finals because they well and truly are for the club going into next season.

Players performances & injuries to key players I'd say play a huge part, followed by a lack of investment by the board, then Pochettino for his occasional choice in team that he selects, things he's said etc.

Resting Alderweireld and Aurier in such a huge game vs Southampton if rumours are to be believed with a 3 week break ahead of us I don't get. I trust the manager but I don't see many other teams rotate their fullbacks like we do so either I'm missing something of Poch loves a tinker. All I know is when Walker was at the club I don't remember as much rotation at FB as I do now.

All in all I'm very satisfied with how the season is/ has gone given the circumstances surrounding the club. It was always going to be a grind so I don't really blame anyone, o think the club has done a pretty admirable job on the whole even though there's been a dip in quality and results. Just got to hope we hit a bit of form and the lads genuinely treat the last 7-8 league games as cup finals because they well and truly are for the club going into next season.

Well said!

Yeah, the FB tinkering doesn’t make much sense. Idk why he does it as chemistry on the back line is key. The year we had fewest goals allowed was when rose and walker were full time, right?

Well said!

Yeah, the FB tinkering doesn’t make much sense. Idk why he does it as chemistry on the back line is key. The year we had fewest goals allowed was when rose and walker were full time, right?

Yep completely.

Everyone says we must trust Pochettino but he has shown fallibility and worse is that some of his decisions at key times is questionable.

That defeat to Burnley gets more and more painful when you look at their recent results. They are absolute cack and yet we let them beat us. Of all the teams to derail our season I can’t believe it was those goblins.

Lloris was saying we must win all of our remaining games. I get the sentiment, but part of me is like, well... if we do manage to win all of our remaining games in order to finish top 4, why couldn't we have the same mentality in order to finish 1st. The main disappointment with this pool of players is the fact that you look at the FA Cup, and we could have in theory just beaten Watford to get to a semi consisting of what is potentially Swansea, Wolves/United, or Millwall/Brighton. That is easier than our League Cup run.

The motivation to win games is off, not through lack of talent. Tactically also inept. We're better than United, yet they manage to win things and look like winning things. You wouldn't back against them finishing top 4, winning the FA Cup or winning the Champions League. For us, it is a different feeling/mindset.

Edit: Of course City score 2 against Swansea and will win the quadruple, my mistake.

Last edited:
Woolwich have only won 5 of their 14 away games and they could basically drop points anywhere away from home and certainly at Wolves, Everton, Leicester and Watford even, they will probably win their 3 remaining home games though.

All gone to shit since I went in the bin, all the censors need to have a serious look at themselves...

Still think we will just fall over the line in fourth, starting with 3pts at Anfield

Hmmmm...

Spurs 79 points
Liverpool (A) 0, Brighton (H) 3, Huddersfield (H) 3, Man City (A) 0, West Ham (H) 3, Bournemouth (A) 3, Everton (H) 3, Palace (H) 3 - (18 points)

Man Utd: 79 points
Woolwich (A) 1, Watford (H) 3, Wolves (A) 3, West Ham (H) 3, Everton (A) 3, Man City (H) 1, Chelsea (H) 1, Huddersfield (A) 3, Cardiff (H) 3 - (21 points)

Chelsea: 79 points
Wolves (H) 3, Everton (A) 3, Cardiff (A) 3, West Ham (H) 3, Liverpool (A) 0, Brighton (H) 3, Burnley (H) 3, Man Utd (A) 1, Watford (H) 3, Leicester (A) 1 - (23 points)

Woolwich: 75 points
Man Utd (H) 1, Newcastle (H) 3, Everton (A) 3, Watford (A) 0, Palace (H) 3, Wolves (A) 1, Leicester (A) 1, Brighton (H) 3, Burnley (A) 3 - (18 points)

Not very good at this are you :D

Everton and Wolves helping us out by both taking points off Chelsea.

Both of those clubs will have a say in the race for top four. Both still have to play Man Utd and Woolwich too..

Wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea go the United route, give up on top 4, and go all out on Europa depending on the QF draw. Maybe not right away, but they may throw everything at it if they are in the semis and the league is looking hopeless.

Both of those clubs will have a say in the race for top four. Both still have to play Man Utd and Woolwich too..

Everton, Wolves, Watford & Leicester are our allies until May. If they all turn up against our rivals I think we'll coast into the Top 4 finish we're after. Those lot don't turn up it'll be a big struggle.

Watford and Leicester could help us out as well in the battle to finish seventh, aka the Astra Giurgiu Trophy.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea go the United route, give up on top 4, and go all out on Europa depending on the QF draw. Maybe not right away, but they may throw everything at it if they are in the semis and the league is looking hopeless.
They've drawn Slavia Prague, easy route to the semi finals.

If Man City beat Brighton, will Watford or Wolves be guaranteed a Europa League place or has that been scrapped now?

How does the Europa League slot work for the FA Cup? Is it the runner up that gets it or does 7th place in the league pinch it?

Back
Top Bottom