The race for top four.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm pig sick of Spurs at the moment and think they will blow it , just to roll over and for as they have in the last few games has been diabolical my only hope is the new stadium , if we do end up 6th we will lose players (we probably will anyway) and as things stand we are the softest touch left in the Champions League everyone will want us.

It’s a concept lost on some.
I’ll never slag off a player for not being as good as someone else.

If they are playing to their best ability, but aren’t very good, so be it. You can upgrade them without abusing and blaming them for everything.

Stupid mistakes constantly and players not putting in a shift is what’s unacceptable.

Give me 11 triers over 11 people with one eye on Real Madrid all day long

How do you equate effort?

I just don't buy that players walk onto a pitch and don't try and if they do then the manager has to shoulder much of the blame for picking them up.

It's a sh!t 4 game run that seemed as unlikely as the winning run that preceded it, but it also matches our season's inconsistency.

I think we lack confidence and that is because we don't have the assured nature and strength of previous seasons.

We have also been guilty of shocking errors this season and a lack of quality but lack of effort? Too easy an accusation and too flimsy in my opinion.

How do you equate effort?

I just don't buy that players walk onto a pitch and don't try and if they do then the manager has to shoulder much of the blame for picking them up.

It's a sh!t 4 game run that seemed as unlikely as the winning run that preceded it, but it also matches our season's inconsistency.

I think we lack confidence and that is because we don't have the assured nature and strength of previous seasons.

We have also been guilty of shocking errors this season and a lack of quality but lack of effort? Too easy an accusation and too flimsy in my opinion.

I equate effort as breaking sweat and trying to get the ball off an opponent who is a few foot away from you rather than watching them run past you and walking around a bit.

Or not always taking the easy option.....or not taking 25 seconds to take a throw in when we have 5 minutes to score two goals.

Intensity, urgency.
Effort is effort.

I know we have had a horrible run just lately but why can’t we win at Anfield? Everyone has already accepted we have lost this and city away, why?
Mad isn't it. Everyone are slating the players for having a bad mentality but then you get people completely writing off our chances before a ball has been kicked. It might be unlikely that we win either of those games but it is even more unlikely that we come away with nothing.

Last edited:
Mad isn't it. Everyone is slating the players for having a bad mentality but then you get people completely writing off our chances before a ball has been kicked. It might be unlikely that we win either of those games but it is even more unlikely that we come away with nothing.

Apparently, when it comes to fans... A winning mentality constitutes perpetual denigration, complaining and ridicule; expecting this to somehow help in the grand scheme of things.

Genius.

I'm still seething from Saturday. Glad that so many people are finally criticising Dier. He's been fucking useless every season. He reminds me of Fat Tom Huddlestone, except at least Huddlestone could pick a pass. Dier is a miracle and he does nothing well except he's always "up for it" on social media, absolute embarrassment. The least you can ask of a DM is that they give 100% effort. I've never seen him try and sprint. Constantly jogs around the pitch, even when he gives it away. No drive, no energy, no spirit. His passing is shocking. Thinks he's Pirlo but plays more like Phil Stamp.

Dare I say it Eriksen has become the same as him in terms of attitude. I'd rather have a one-legged Dembele and a disabled Wanyama than Dier. Couldn't believe utd apparently wanted him for 50m. Now we're stuck with him.

I really hope we win 6/8 of our remaining games. Be happy with anything from Pool/City but based on that 2nd half I'm doubtful. Such a kick in the balls after our spirit vs Dortmund too. Just inexplicable. Don't get me started on the substitutions again.

I equate effort as breaking sweat and trying to get the ball off an opponent who is a few foot away from you rather than watching them run past you and walking around a bit.

Or not always taking the easy option.....or not taking 25 seconds to take a throw in when we have 5 minutes to score two goals.

Intensity, urgency.
Effort is effort.

Okay I am not going to go any further.

It's too easy an assessment, made mostly because we lose games whereas my view is wins mask and losses magnify, with the truth somewhere in between.

I stick to confidence and lack of quality challenge for places and Pochettino's decision making.

I'm still seething from Saturday. Glad that so many people are finally criticising Dier. He's been fucking useless every season. He reminds me of Fat Tom Huddlestone, except at least Huddlestone could pick a pass. Dier is a miracle and he does nothing well except he's always "up for it" on social media, absolute embarrassment........ Don't get me started on the substitutions again.

I'll try not to

The next 3 league fixtures for all involved are massive.

Chelsea have 2 away games that they simply cannot afford to lose points in after the Wolves draw. Away to Everton & Cardiff will be tricky old games to navigate past. Woolwich have 2 away games against Everton & Watford where they will need to dig deep or allow the others to get back into the mix & United have a must win away to Wolves.

I think the next 3 rounds of Premier League football will tell us a lot about who makes a charge for it and who will end up shitting the bed.

The next 3 league fixtures for all involved are massive.

Chelsea have 2 away games that they simply cannot afford to lose points in after the Wolves draw. Away to Everton & Cardiff will be tricky old games to navigate past. Woolwich have 2 away games against Everton & Watford where they will need to dig deep or allow the others to get back into the mix & United have a must win away to Wolves.

I think the next 3 rounds of Premier League football will tell us a lot about who makes a charge for it and who will end up shitting the bed.

Be handy if everyone stays in the cups they are in for a while too.

I think we'll finish the season strong but I'm gutted we're back to predicting results of others again!

I'm still seething from Saturday. Glad that so many people are finally criticising Dier. He's been fucking useless every season. He reminds me of Fat Tom Huddlestone, except at least Huddlestone could pick a pass. Dier is a miracle and he does nothing well except he's always "up for it" on social media, absolute embarrassment. The least you can ask of a DM is that they give 100% effort. I've never seen him try and sprint. Constantly jogs around the pitch, even when he gives it away. No drive, no energy, no spirit. His passing is shocking. Thinks he's Pirlo but plays more like Phil Stamp.

Dare I say it Eriksen has become the same as him in terms of attitude. I'd rather have a one-legged Dembele and a disabled Wanyama than Dier. Couldn't believe utd apparently wanted him for 50m. Now we're stuck with him.

I really hope we win 6/8 of our remaining games. Be happy with anything from Pool/City but based on that 2nd half I'm doubtful. Such a kick in the balls after our spirit vs Dortmund too. Just inexplicable. Don't get me started on the substitutions again.
Dier was hyped up two years ago scored for England ect and he was the next big thing but he’s stalled agreed we’re stuck with him unless Leicester or Newcastle want him because that’s where he’s going!

Be handy if everyone stays in the cups they are in for a while too.

I think we'll finish the season strong but I'm gutted we're back to predicting results of others again!

The two games that are a real let down are the games vs Burnley and Southampton. I can accept a loss at Stamford Bridge and a draw against that lot in the NLD, I can even accept losing one of those Burnley or Southampton games but to lose both of them is utterly unacceptable. We didn't keep focus, we became complacent thinking our season was done after the Burnley game and now we are trying to play catch up with the momentum of others.

It's a huge shame that the players haven't learnt what they should have over the last couple of years, they allowed their heads to drop and it gave the chasing pack a reason to smell blood and out the pressure on us. All of Sarri, Emery & Solksjaer keep talking about us, we've allowed for a race to occur that didn't even exist 2-3 games ago. Poor professionalism and concentration at a key time from a group that had done so well for such a lon period this season. Big shame but now it's down to them to tidy up the mess they've made.

Mad isn't it. Everyone are slating the players for having a bad mentality but then you get people completely writing off our chances before a ball has been kicked. It might be unlikely that we win either of those games but it is even more unlikely that we come away with nothing.

Fans' mentality shouldn't make a difference in any case, but can you blame the fans for having a bad mentality when players keep repeating mistakes and are apparently too thick to learn from them?

- Woolwich (A): as last year, we were in a good run of form and went into the game as favourites; as last year, we seemed shocked that they came flying out of the traps; as last year, we couldn't keep the ball and were overrun. Why didn't they learn from last year?

- Watford (A), Wolves (H), Soton (A): in all 3 games we were ahead, and in 3 games complacency set in, and we turned victories into defeats. Complacency once is unacceptable... but players are human. Complacency twice - unforgivable. 3 times?

- Man City (H), Barca (H), PSV (H): conceding within the first 10 mins. This just reeks of not being switched and is, again, unprofessional.

And I can already see what will happen at Anfield: we'll concede early-very early to hand Liverpool the initiative and probably a nice, comfortable afternoon, despite EVERYONE'S knowledge that if we keep them out for 20 mins, the crowd will get nervous and frustrated.

How do I know?

Last season: Mo Salah scores in the 3rd minute
Season before: Liverpool 2-0 up after 2 goals in 2 minutes before the 20-minute goal.

All goals down to mistakes.

The more things changes, the more things stay the same...

A lot of people seem to be getting slagged off for not expecting a win at anfield and saying the pressure is on them-we have won one fucking game there in twenty years and it was an end of season 'who wants thursday football' match. The pressure is also most definitely on us-we could be out of the top four after this game should Chelsea win their game in hand, if thats not pressure I don't know what is.
I always get up for games including away at anfield and always want to see some balls shown by us on the pitch but to slag off someone who isn't confident we will win there is ridiculous. Spurs have done absolutely nothing this season to suggest they will get points at anfield or at city, and winning at OT when they were shit doesn;t come into that argument.

A lot of people seem to be getting slagged off for not expecting a win at anfield and saying the pressure is on them-we have won one fucking game there in twenty years and it was an end of season 'who wants thursday football' match. The pressure is also most definitely on us-we could be out of the top four after this game should Chelsea win their game in hand, if thats not pressure I don't know what is.
I always get up for games including away at anfield and always want to see some balls shown by us on the pitch but to slag off someone who isn't confident we will win there is ridiculous. Spurs have done absolutely nothing this season to suggest they will get points at anfield or at city, and winning at OT when they were shit doesn;t come into that argument.

We're gonna win 3-1 :)

"I'm not confident about the upcoming game"

vs

"We're shit.... Levy is a thief and Liverpool will murder us"

Of course the former is nothing to take exception to, but rightfully or wrongly, a poster's history plays a part in how their comments are received (particularly if their typical outlook is more of the latter vein).

Fans' mentality shouldn't make a difference in any case, but can you blame the fans for having a bad mentality when players keep repeating mistakes and are apparently too thick to learn from them?

- Woolwich (A): as last year, we were in a good run of form and went into the game as favourites; as last year, we seemed shocked that they came flying out of the traps; as last year, we couldn't keep the ball and were overrun. Why didn't they learn from last year?

- Watford (A), Wolves (H), Soton (A): in all 3 games we were ahead, and in 3 games complacency set in, and we turned victories into defeats. Complacency once is unacceptable... but players are human. Complacency twice - unforgivable. 3 times?

- Man City (H), Barca (H), PSV (H): conceding within the first 10 mins. This just reeks of not being switched and is, again, unprofessional.

And I can already see what will happen at Anfield: we'll concede early-very early to hand Liverpool the initiative and probably a nice, comfortable afternoon, despite EVERYONE'S knowledge that if we keep them out for 20 mins, the crowd will get nervous and frustrated.

How do I know?

Last season: Mo Salah scores in the 3rd minute
Season before: Liverpool 2-0 up after 2 goals in 2 minutes before the 20-minute goal.

All goals down to mistakes.

The more things changes, the more things stay the same...

So you signed up just to tell us all how shit we are with as much vitriol as you can muster?

Gee, thanks! :adethumbup:

Back
Top Bottom