The mistake we made at the start of this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They say a good old tactical draw is invaluable, problem is, I think that phrase was coined during a time of 2pts for a win.....
Sure, if we had drawn some of the defeats we had this season we would be within sniffing distance at the top of the league, likewise if we had drawn some of those games we fought to the death to win then we wouldn’t even be in the top 4...
As for the Dembele business, that was a damn good deal for us....
Like it or not we have limits, and shouting and screaming about them won’t suddenly grow money from trees....
Never in my time as a Spurs fan (40 odd years) have I ever entered a season thinking we're better than all the other clubs and anything less than XY or Z is failure.
We can guess every Pre season what we need and how much we need to spend to get it, but at the end of the day it’s just that, guessing, i havnt a clue what we have in the bank, what our wage structure is or what debt we have...
What I do know however, is what a season ticket costs and what following this club costs annually and I know that price does not reflect the rewards on the field compared to other clubs, but I’m old and mature enough to acknowledge it’s a life choice, I can accept it or walk away from it, for now I choose to accept it, but at some point I know I will walk away and pass that baton on to the next generation and suffer and celebrate from the armchair with equal content and disappointed all in the same season....COYS

Selling Dembele. Why can't we even draw a game in the premier league.I think the problem lies in midfield. We need a player who can hold the ball up . I don't think winks & sissoko are good at this. I have noticed that Pochettino's tactics seem like russian roulette at times. We subbed winks the other day for Llorente. Does the concept of midfield not exist for Poch?
Oh do fuck off.

They say a good old tactical draw is invaluable, problem is, I think that phrase was coined during a time of 2pts for a win.....
Sure, if we had drawn some of the defeats we had this season we would be within sniffing distance at the top of the league, likewise if we had drawn some of those games we fought to the death to win then we wouldn’t even be in the top 4...
As for the Dembele business, that was a damn good deal for us....
Like it or not we have limits, and shouting and screaming about them won’t suddenly grow money from trees....
Never in my time as a Spurs fan (40 odd years) have I ever entered a season thinking we're better than all the other clubs and anything less than XY or Z is failure.
We can guess every Pre season what we need and how much we need to spend to get it, but at the end of the day it’s just that, guessing, i havnt a clue what we have in the bank, what our wage structure is or what debt we have...
What I do know however, is what a season ticket costs and what following this club costs annually and I know that price does not reflect the rewards on the field compared to other clubs, but I’m old and mature enough to acknowledge it’s a life choice, I can accept it or walk away from it, for now I choose to accept it, but at some point I know I will walk away and pass that baton on to the next generation and suffer and celebrate from the armchair with equal content and disappointed all in the same season....COYS

I don't see that chap anymore. I think his id here was Joe. He seemed to have a wealth of knowledge and perspective about this Club and the game and his football etc. He was posting quite a bit when I got here seberal yrs ago but posted less and less each year.

Selling Dembele in the middle of the season and not replacing him was definitely a mistake, that was a financial decision and not a football one. He was still starting every game until he got injured against Wolves but we wanted to take a fee for him while we still could. There was always going to be a limit to the results we could achieve with Winks and Sissoko as our first choice pair, it doesn't have the same balance as Dier/Wanyama + Dembele. I understand that we tried to sign someone but the right player wasn't available in January. OK.

Hopefully we have a clear plan in the summer because it is likely that we will need to replace Dembele, Eriksen and Alderweireld at the same time. A massive task that could destroy everything we've built if we buy the wrong players.

Dembele wanted to go in the summer and we managed to convince him to stay, his body couldn't keep up with the demands of the PL. It was only 11m and what, 40/60k off the wage bill? If you want to talk about selling for financial reasons there's about 5 other players you could sell first, like Rose or Dier for example.

Some people have to cheek to call the players mentally weak, the absolute state of some people.

Selling Dembele. Why can't we even draw a game in the premier league.I think the problem lies in midfield. We need a player who can hold the ball up . I don't think winks & sissoko are good at this. I have noticed that Pochettino's tactics seem like russian roulette at times. We subbed winks the other day for Llorente. Does the concept of midfield not exist for Poch?
trifficTotnum. More like triggerTotnum.
If anything else, you do know how to trigger people. You upset a lot of people.
Cheeky boy.

"The mistake your mother made in 1988....."

:harrylol:

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom