The mistake we made at the start of this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Selling Dembele. Why can't we even draw a game in the premier league.I think the problem lies in midfield. We need a player who can hold the ball up . I don't think winks & sissoko are good at this. I have noticed that Pochettino's tactics seem like russian roulette at times. We subbed winks the other day for Llorente. Does the concept of midfield not exist for Poch?

Actually he was only sold in the last window. The issue was not replacing him, but I dont see another Dembele out there in world football

We didn't sell Dembele at the start of the season. Also he has been dogged with injury for a while so what sense would it have made to keep him?

Selling Dembele. Why can't we even draw a game in the premier league.I think the problem lies in midfield. We need a player who can hold the ball up . I don't think winks & sissoko are good at this. I have noticed that Pochettino's tactics seem like russian roulette at times. We subbed winks the other day for Llorente. Does the concept of midfield not exist for Poch?

I have to wonder if you watched the match? At the time of the sub you mention, as well as Lamela for Foyth, our issue wasn't ball retention. Rather it was a lack of bodies in the box and creative spark. Dropping Sissoko and Eriksen deeper in midfield, while adjusting the roles of Son and Kane, looked to do that. Yeah, it put us in greater danger of being suckerpunched, which was what happened, but we needed an attacking shake-up.

Removing someone listed as mid with a forward doesn't equate to forgetting about having a midfield, if you're actually watching what's happening positionally. This isn't a computer game.

Love how all these cunts suddenly think they have the answers to everything when we lose and more often as not it's plain to everyone else they're just talking bollocks...

Dembele has been a diminishing asset for a couple of seasons . Unfortunately we couldn't or wouldn't find a replacement in the whole of world football. lm surprised other teams can do it .
His replacement should have been with the club a year ago , but like the Kane saga of a few years ago we muddle through .

Dembele has been a diminishing asset for a couple of seasons . Unfortunately we couldn't or wouldn't find a replacement in the whole of world football. lm surprised other teams can do it .
His replacement should have been with the club a year ago , but like the Kane saga of a few years ago we muddle through .
Who could we have got to replace Mousa Dembele a year ago?

Winks and sissoko is a great midfield combination for me, Yesterday was sissokos first poor game this season, but he wasn’t the only one who was poor, he isn’t our problem, we was missing a bit of magic from one of our more creative players

Only problem I saw on selling D was that it happened in the midst of another historic title run without replacement.

As others have said, he was sold in January.

Injured for a couple of months before that (so he was at Spurs just not playing - and not sold), and a much less reliable player last season - has not been the same since 2016/17 or even 2015/16 season.

The big issue this season is that with FIFA holding the (expanded) WC so late in the summer, compounded with PL pulling forward the start of the season by a week. With 10 of our players (in effect the whole first team) being involved in the last 4, they had NO pre-season at the start of this season.

And that is why Spurs have had muscular injury (eg hamstrings) after muscular injury. And when a few players are injured that adds to the number of games the others play - and as muscular injuries are most prone to happening to fatigued players, injuries happen more frequently.

That's why Spurs have had 6 or more players out at one time for lengthy periods of the season.

Its also why Spurs are pressing less this season than previously - its conserving energy and avoiding fatigue. And that change in our game is costing us points, but not a lot anyone can do about it.

So nothing to do with individual players - and certainly Dembele isn't a factor to even mention.

Dembele was finished simple as! Yes myself as probably many on here wanted it not to be the case but he was! on his game unplayable and we got the best of him there was no point in flogging the guy to do a job he couldn’t not fair on the team nor him. If a mistake if any,which personally think we’re doing fine 3rd in the league and possible last 16 of the CL! was not having someone of near the same ability as Dembele bedded in before we lost him we knew it was coming Tottenham Hotspur did or at least should have! And especially with our current manager it’s not a case of just rocking up and getting in the team Pochettino doesn’t work that way.

Back
Top Bottom