The Mighty Tottenham v Dial Square

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The players are knackered. Kane did not even have a summer off and he's our only striker. Look at him at the end of the West Ham game, almost falling over his own feet. Dembele can't play two games in a week. They can't keep playing Thursday-Sunday and winning both games, when other teams don't have this problem. We were dead yesterday and only found a new lease of life when they had a man sent off. Fitness is massive in today's game and if we keep up both competitions we are handing it to Leicester on a plate.
I can't agree with this, or at least I will not let myself believe it. We pressed the fuck out of them in the first half, if we are a jaded side you simply will not be able to do it, it would be impossible.

Yes, at the end of games you can see our boys have given everything, yes they look tired BUT that is exactly how they should look having given everything. "If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best." Bill Nic. Are we saying towards the end of games we want to see a spring in our step? See them in pristine white shirts, still with the ironing creases in them? I want to see them fucked, I want to see them on their last knees.

The time I concede that we are spent, is when we turn up and park the bus, but if we continue on our way to out press and out run teams teams (and we did out press and run them on Sat) then all is well.

There is a narrative building, a naritive created based on what? First off people say this because it happened to Bielsa's teams, think about that, have you ever heard such a unfounded statement as that? Secondly it is said that Poch's team fading in the last few games in the season is common place, there may be some truth to this but look at the context. His Southampton squad was tiny, outside of maybe 13 players, he had a very small pool of players he could bring in. Last season exactly the same situation with us, by the end of the season it was absolutely crystal clear who he trusted and who he didn't, he had frozen out a number of players thus reducing the pool of players he could wanted to bring in.

Cup football is an entirely different type of game. Liverpool and United aren't likely to win the EL but they are more than capable of doing so. Chelsea aren't likely to win the CL but to think they can't is incorrect.

The current Chelsea is far better than the shit Chelsea that lucked their way to a triumph when we were fucked over. United is shit, but has a match winner at the back that may be enough in a cup tournament. Liverpool have, like Chelsea, proven that shit teams can win major European tournaments. It isn't likely, but it's entirely possible.

I still can't bring myself to write up my thoughts on the game, I invested so much of myself in that game, especially after Kane's goal, that my mood swings from, pride, to frustration in a blink of an eye. My comfort blanket I have sucked on since Saturday has been to think about the players, everyone of them I like, everyone of them I trust from Vorm and Winks thru to Lloris, Kane and Alderwierld. They are amazing and I love to watch them play with pride. I take solace in our position in the League and how we have played to get us there, to have the best defence, the best goal difference, an attractive style of football played by then youngest team in the League.

If you were to take a distant view of how we stack up against the scum then there is no doubt we are a serious challenge for them, and they know it. There is no "ah but it is a derby, and anything can happen", we go into these games now, and have done for a number of years now, that we can fuck this lot up, again they know this too.

Anyway, sorry to babble on, I am struggling to separate my frustration from my pride of this team and no matter how hard I try, I can't move on. FUCK!!

You really must be mentally damaged to think that Liverpool who needed to cheat to beat palace is going to win Europa and Chelsea who just drew home to Stoke are going to reverse a deficit to psg and then beat three of the giants consecutively. I'm upset that we dropped five points this week and we can still end up fifth if we have a shit run in. The shit run in is not likely but it is much more likely than dropping to fourth and losing out to those two events.

Your choice of invective sucks big time.

But having said that, I think 'emotionally damaged' would be appropriate in describing why I empathise with the poster's fears...

I can't agree with this, or at least I will not let myself believe it. We pressed the fuck out of them in the first half, if we are a jaded side you simply will not be able to do it, it would be impossible.

Yes, at the end of games you can see our boys have given everything, yes they look tired BUT that is exactly how they should look having given everything. "If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best." Bill Nic. Are we saying towards the end of games we want to see a spring in our step? See them in pristine white shirts, still with the ironing creases in them? I want to see them fucked, I want to see them on their last knees.

The time I concede that we are spent, is when we turn up and park the bus, but if we continue on our way to out press and out run teams teams (and we did out press and run them on Sat) then all is well.

There is a narrative building, a naritive created based on what? First off people say this because it happened to Bielsa's teams, think about that, have you ever heard such a unfounded statement as that? Secondly it is said that Poch's team fading in the last few games in the season is common place, there may be some truth to this but look at the context. His Southampton squad was tiny, outside of maybe 13 players, he had a very small pool of players he could bring in. Last season exactly the same situation with us, by the end of the season it was absolutely crystal clear who he trusted and who he didn't, he had frozen out a number of players thus reducing the pool of players he could wanted to bring in.
I really hope you're right.

I'm not really basing it on Poch's teams in the past. Just on what I see in front of my own eyes. And to some extent on watching Spurs in the past, e.g. under AVB when we had a run in the EL and wilted in the league.

Yes of course we want players to give their all. But I think at the moment they are playing through a lot of pain and exhaustion. That is okay when you are playing the scum and they have just had a man sent off. The mental impetus and the energy of the crowd is enough to keep them going on empty. But let's say we are playing Bournemouth at home and they go 1-0 up after 60 minutes. That's when you really need fresh legs and minds.

I think we all know from our own work, whatever it may be, that when things are going well it's easy to have the physical capacity to keep going even if you are drained. It's a lot harder when you are up against it AND tired. Heads will drop, it's human nature. Situations such as the Bournemouth one will happen. From what I saw energy levels had dropped when we were behind against the scum and only came back once they sensed a way back into the game. If not for the sending off, I think we would have huffed and puffed (as in the West Ham game, where we also looked very tired) but probably not got an equaliser.

As early in the season as Everton away Kane was next to useless in the last 15 minutes purely because he was exhausted. We needed a win and he could not sort his feet out to get a shot away in some good positions. He normally recovers if we don't have a game in the week but even a 45 minute appearance in the EL tends to mean he does not start the weekend game with the energy he needs for his game. It's no wonder as he hasn't had a proper rest for nearly two years! Against West Ham he played badly and again I would say it was due to exhaustion. A fresh Kane puts one of those two second half chances away. I know I keep harping on about him but we're so reliant on him we need him at his best otherwise we won't win the league. In other areas there is more scope for rotation, certainly with the full backs, but also in midfield. Though even there Eriksen, and as Scott said Dier, have been playing a lot and showing signs of tiring, Dembele can't really play twice a week and we need him at his best in the league, and Alli we also need at his best, though his suspension in Europe makes that an easy choice.

I can't think of many instances of a team competing successfully on multiple fronts with as small a squad as ours. United in 99 did it, but the game was different and less physical then. And their team was very good indeed, with four excellent strikers rather than one.

I've never incurred so many celebration-related injuries, when Harry Kane smashed this in. Somehow, I ended-up flat on my face, on the concrete steps in Block 32, with at least two or three people on top of me. My glasses went flying into the row in front, but luckily they weren't too badly damaged.

This morning, I've got bruises all over my legs and arms, as well as what looks like someone's footprint on my back. However, I know it was all done in good spirit and in sheer jubilation. Surprisingly, quite a few supporters helped me back to my feet and kept asking me if was okay, which was a nice touch. The guy who picked-up my glasses even bent one of arms back into place for me.

I had to apologise to the guy standing next to me, as somehow I ended-up with my left hand around his crown-jewels. Although, he was so pissed and overwhelmed with Spurs related ecstasy, that I don't think he noticed.

COYS for Thursday!!

Lost my glasses in the first goal! They are bent out of shape, look slightly lopsided now but I've got a bad cold and can't be arsed going to Specsavers so fuck it, people can give me funny looks if they like. When Kane scored I purposefully turned to celebrate in the other direction because I knew my mate who sits two seats to the left would jump on me and he's a big lump so I could see the glasses going flying again. Celebrations were unreal even in the Paxton.

The current Chelsea is far better than the shit Chelsea that lucked their way to a triumph when we were fucked over. United is shit, but has a match winner at the back that may be enough in a cup tournament. Liverpool have, like Chelsea, proven that shit teams can win major European tournaments. It isn't likely, but it's entirely possible.

So we agree....

Man sent off, two goals in two minutes (one of them a fucking screamer)... WHL absolutely mental. Everyone thinking we will go on to get a massive result...

I genuinely think I'll only get over this result if we win the league :eriksenserious:

Watched another Legend called Martin Chivers score a goal just like Harry's against Gordon Banks
Jumped up so quickly I had one of those dizzy spells !
This season rests on remaining in control of games as opposing teams are dud sing out our game COYS

Yeah, the only time they have properly turned up in years, so I heard (I wouldn't really know).
raw

I think it was extra lively because they actually turned up unexpectedly for the cup game so I think the chaps were looking for a bit of payback.
yep I saw plenty who i've heard don't bother any more (or not as much anyway) out pre game. Don't know if the ob were caught off guard or they planned to let it go off like it did. Either way I think a few could be expecting knocks at their doors in the coming weeks

The more I watch this beautiful goal the angrier I get that we didn't go on to embarrass them 3 or 4-1.

Still fucking depressed at the final score - can't help but feel that the dropping of two points in this game will eventually prove to be the moment that our title challenge faltered terminally.

Back
Top Bottom