The mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs. Burnley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the second half and England have shown he is a quality DM. Unfortunately for him Wanyama is better. But his versatility is such an asset. He is also popular amongst the group. I would be sad to see him go.
is wanyama better? different yes, better, not necessarily. Wanyama offers more defensively - for me the most obvious facet he adds to our game is the second ball - its where we were lacking last year and he's like a kante in that respect.

Dier is more rounded and distributes far better - the Burnley game is a very obvious example as to when he suits the game better - until he moved into CM the ball was taking an age to move forward, but Dier was playing it through the lines superbly and it really brought Alli and Eriksen into the game second half.

2790.jpg

if Dier was benched half the season then I could understand his frustration, it's to his credit he can deputise in multiple positions. I like to think he understand the modern game and what an asset that is. I mean lets think about it:

- Wanyama gets a knock on Dier comes
- Vert gets a knock on Dier comes
- Winks gets a knock on Dier comes
- Toby gets a knock on Dier comes
- Moose gets a knock on Dier comes

Of course our first thought is hoping the injury isn't bad but it's not panicking when we see the replacement...

Translation: must have last word but have no valid point.

Ha Ha! Was pretty pissed when i wrote that last night tbf....

And I've never said that i thought he wasn't a shit signing, just that hes not the worst player we've ever signed.

Have a little look at whats going on over at the death star with their fans mugging each other off.

Might cheer you up a bit. Get you over your Sissoko rage.

if Dier was benched half the season then I could understand his frustration

When has Eric said he was frustrated???

He arrived as a CB to begin with and has played virtually every game since he arrived and continues to improve and evolve as a player.....

What cause is there to even speculate as much????

A great win, and I'd like to add a heads up to the Burnley steward who went above and beyond to sort a situation out.
Good to see they're not all dickheads (yes Man U I'm talking about you)

I tend to agree Joe, and since the Berbatov and latterly Keane transfer fiasco's Levy has dug in and fucked off those PL Managers sniffing around our top players. Selling into Spain is one thing and i truly think that Levy has eventually seen the light, and will not sell our stella players unless the club desires to another PL club. The numerous contract extensions have see a much more prudent, long term vision by Levy possibly driven by Poch.

That all said if Levy and Poch see a Dier transfer offer as adding to next seasons War Chest then what would any of us do? Is there no replacement for Dier? I'd be hard pushed to believe that there isn't a young talented center back out their in Europe somewhere?.

Do i want to see him go, absolutely not, but football as Jimmy would say is a funny old game.

ManU are desperate to get their hands on a young quality CM and Dier is perfect - they could build a team around him. Problem for Jose - he's not going anywhere! Why would he go for money (possibly) when he will get CL Football at Spurs and a title push next year? Future captain club and country - one of our crown jewels - we would be crazy to accept any offer from anyone.

I don't understand the faction of fans bricking it we are going to lose Walker and Rose to Citeh and Dier to United. It's been 8 years since the sales of Berbatov and Keane. We have come a loooong way since then.

IMO there is only 3 clubs we can lose players to: Real, Barca and Bayern. If they come calling I would be concerned other than that no..

there isn't
When has Eric said he was frustrated???

He arrived as a CB to begin with and has played virtually every game since he arrived and continues to improve and evolve as a player.....

What cause is there to even speculate as much????

Sorry "If Dier was benched half the season I could understand people discussing his frustration". I was pointing out there is very little reason for him to be frustrated

it may become a problem. question is where does he want to play? if its CM, and thats where he plays for england, then playing second fiddle to wanyama isnt going to go down well over time. will he be happy slotting in around others? only dier knows.

it may become a problem. question is where does he want to play? if its CM, and thats where he plays for england, then playing second fiddle to wanyama isnt going to go down well over time. will he be happy slotting in around others? only dier knows.

Personally feel there are enough games for everyone to get a decent run. Also I would rather a player ran like a mentalist for 70mins making way for a fresh replacement later on

Personally feel there are enough games for everyone to get a decent run. Also I would rather a player ran like a mentalist for 70mins making way for a fresh replacement later on

yeah there is but i every player wants to think they are their managers first pick. but for our change to 3 at the back dier wouldnt be first choice right now.

actually its really only been luck thats gotten him so many starts this season.

As long as Poch wants to keep a player, Levy will oblige. Those days are over.
We also want to stop any kind of exodus. Southampton have a selling culture, and it will fuck them over summer after summer until they eventually put their foot down and stop it (if that ever does happen). As you pointed out, we've moved past that sort of situation now and it'll allow us to properly compete with the big boys.

If Dier could be sold for £50m, then that might be a decent price in isolation, but it brings with it a much higher cost in terms of unsettling the squad and making each of our best players *that* more likely to look at the exit door if clubs start tapping them up.
Selling Alli's best friend to United... what could possibly go wrong?
:pochrolleyes:
Dier is a part of the new identity at Spurs. A versatile, young and very good loyal player that Poch will want in the group.

No chance for Jose. Not for sale.
And future captain material. The more outfield leaders we have, the better (Kane, Dier, Jan spring to mind first).

This weeks movie question. A. What movie? B. What character says the quote?

"That's not a way to die. Getting your nuts bitten off by a Laplander, thats a way to die" (or close to that)

I've narrowed it down to two or three possibles;

Turner & Hooch...??
Driving Miss Daisy...??
Elf...??

Am I close?
drebin.gif

Back
Top Bottom