The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford||away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I for one was happy enough with the performance. We lack creativity at the moment and to be honest, a draw at Watford isn't that bad all things considered. Silva will be turning them into an decent attacking team, the same way Poch did his job with Saints.

Believe we would have won it if it wasnt for Sanchez mistake - but he has been doing great for the first games and doesnt deserve stick, there are others who just dont seem to be up for it.

Kane was the only one on his usual level. I really think all the others need a kick up their arse. Watching Dele and Eriksen constantly lose out on every occasion is just frustrating. But the options aren't here. Even with Lamela back, we are still short in attacking wise - maybe shouldnt have loaned out Onomah.

I don't know......I leave the country for a week and it all goes to shit. Expected nine points and we only got two.
Not the end of the world (or season). We've had worse times.

Don't panic though, I'm in Blighty until March so we should be back on winning form until then.

COYS!!!

Agree about the full backs, but its not so much the quality of crosses IMO. Walker didn't pull up many trees in that department either did he? To me what we've missed this term is the pace and attacking intent of Walker and Rose in tandem. We struggled against bus parkers last season for a while and it was those two who helped us through it, that pace and width can stretch defences and upset their shape. Against WBA for example it was all too much passing around in front of their defence, and all too easy for them.
Agree in part but pace is utterly meaningless when a team sit narrow and deep. What they have is the ability to take on their man, both capable of going outside or inside. The stretch came from them staying out wide because they can both play on the outside. (Tripps can’t do any of this, Davies is good at coming inside but can’t go outside). I’d also say the Walker cant cross thing is a bit of a myth, in that he split defenses apart by cutting it back from the line often, usually to Eriksen who then could do his thing.

Their pace, which is a terrific asset came into its own when going toe to toe with the oppo, who weren’t sitting deep.

Only just caught up with motd. I'm not usually one to moan about officiating and our biggest problem is we keep conceding early goal, not bad refs.

However it does look like he had a stinker. There was a clear foul on Dier before they broke and scored from the resulting corner. He also seemed to let them get away with kicking Kane off the park and for me Sanchez should of been booked and told to be more careful but a red for that is very harsh in my opinion. It was also a stonewall pen for the Dier handball so all in all he's had a shocker.

I don't think anyone should go too overboard about this result. Taken in isolation, it was a decent performance and not the worst result given the circumstances. However, coming on the back of the other shite displays and needing the 3 points it's made the result even more galling.
Quite simply, we have to beat Stoke and Brighton in the next two games or the season is in danger of drifting away...
No more fuck-ups Spurs! Get out the traps early and take the game to the defensive cunts in the FIRST HALF!!!

Agree but why. Mentally we are not together, strong and seem to be unbalanced . The core strengths are missing . Players you have mentioned is a factor but not the whole picture.
It’s a number of factors all hitting at once. Those two injuries, plus a couple of the other key players hitting bad form at the same time (Dele, Eriksen) and then we’ve had Dembele struggling to regain levels since injury and Kane playing through one.

All of the above with some terrible refereeing / bad luck mixed in (Woolwich’s opener, Watford’s opener yesterday, the excessive time wasting of WBA).

The Wembley situation.

And all of that over a run of games that included Madrid, Dortmund, Utd, Woolwich, and 3 other London Derby’s.

I for one was happy enough with the performance. We lack creativity at the moment and to be honest, a draw at Watford isn't that bad all things considered. Silva will be turning them into an decent attacking team, the same way Poch did his job with Saints.

Believe we would have won it if it wasnt for Sanchez mistake - but he has been doing great for the first games and doesnt deserve stick, there are others who just dont seem to be up for it.

Kane was the only one on his usual level. I really think all the others need a kick up their arse. Watching Dele and Eriksen constantly lose out on every occasion is just frustrating. But the options aren't here. Even with Lamela back, we are still short in attacking wise - maybe shouldnt have loaned out Onomah.
Agree with all of that except for the Onomah bit. He’s a number 8 and definitely not the answer to our lack of attacking options.

We def need something in that department tho. It’s so annoying that GKN has turned out to be such a dud.

Edwards must be a monumental bell end to not be in the running because ability wise he’s exactly the type of player we need. Tricky, skilful and totally unknown to the opposition.

Agree with all of that except for the Onomah bit. He’s a number 8 and definitely not the answer to our lack of attacking options.

We def need something in that department tho. It’s so annoying that GKN has turned out to be such a dud.

Edwards must be a monumental bell end to not be in the running because ability wise he’s exactly the type of player we need. Tricky, skilful and totally unknown to the opposition.
Not sure iif we're in a place where Edwards is ready to play . We've done the transition bit and have an established team. There's plenty of time for him, next season when some players leave and we are looking to build.

Yes when players leave. That's another factor Players looking elsewhere. Players have come close to the PL but missed out. Some must look at Walker and think , I could do that. A couple must believe they are good and at the wrong level?

Come on now. Against Leicester we missed a whole bunch of golden chances. The problem is we keep leaking goals early on against shit teams and giving them something to defend. And our defensive issues are compounded by both Toby and Wanyama being out at the same time. And with Sanchez (wrongly) facing a 3 match ban that’s only looking worse.
That's a narrow view of the whole picture. What happened at Wembley home against Swansea, WBA, Burnley. Tight win and a lucky win against Bournemouth and Place!

Last edited:
Only just caught up with motd. I'm not usually one to moan about officiating and our biggest problem is we keep conceding early goal, not bad refs.

However it does look like he had a stinker. There was a clear foul on Dier before they broke and scored from the resulting corner. He also seemed to let them get away with kicking Kane off the park and for me Sanchez should of been booked and told to be more careful but a red for that is very harsh in my opinion. It was also a stonewall pen for the Dier handball so all in all he's had a shocker.

He's not fit enough to keep up with play, he was always 30 yards away from every decision - he didn't even call the Sanchez red.....the 4th official did

He's not fit enough to keep up with play, he was always 30 yards away from every decision - he didn't even call the Sanchez red.....the 4th official did

Who I'm assuming was pressured by the Watford bench who furiously jumped around and waved their arms like their player had just been stabbed.

That's a narrow view of the whole picture. What happened at Wembley home against Swansea, WBA, Burnley. Tight win and a lucky win against Bournemouth and Place!
We’re not going to hammer teams parking the bus. In each of those games if we don’t concede we win. And in several of them if we don’t concede we don’t give them the encouragement to park the bus.

Our strike force aren’t all firing no doubt but teams win titles by getting narrow hard fought wins against teams like that.

The foundation of our performances over the last couple of seasons have been based on having the best Defense in the league. That’s not a narrow view.

We’re not going to hammer teams parking the bus. In each of those games if we don’t concede we win. And in several of them if we don’t concede we don’t give them the encouragement to park the bus.

Our strike force aren’t all firing no doubt but teams win titles by getting narrow hard fought wins against teams like that.

The foundation of our performances over the last couple of seasons have been based on having the best Defense in the league. That’s not a narrow view.
We are talking about this season.
OK one game out of 6 is not narrow view and that is that.

Yes losing one of the best defenders in the league is a huge miss but we coped without him last season. He can't be the only reason. We aren't doing anything as good as we usually do with or without him. Now another CB down for 3 games, of which is city. Guess we are only 4 points from 4th as the top 3 I'd imagine is a complete long shot. Beating Stoke and Brighton is fucking critical now or I can't see us getting top 4.
We did lose him last season, but I think the combination of that and Wanyama also missing (along with taking every CL game completely seriously) has taken its toll.

I agree it's not the only reason though, I was being a little glib with my post.
:allitongue:

Also, you're right that we need 6 points from the next two league games to get us out of this rut. With Sanchez missing, and the form they're in, I'm mentally scrapping that Man City match as a hopeless cause. A shame, as I was desperate for us to be the ones to break their unbeaten run.

Is he an attacker ... midfielder ... .forward?!
WE are not creating scoring opportunities for Kane and Son.
Have we conceded goals in the first 15 minutes of our last three games that have changed the complexion of the matches entirely? Yes. (Heck, if our defence is more comfortable then I doubt the red card happens against Watford, too)

Our attackers aren't being clinical enough. The Leicester game was evidence enough of that.

Missing Alderweireld is huge.

Have we conceded goals in the first 15 minutes of our last three games that have changed the complexion of the matches entirely? Yes. (Heck, if our defence is more comfortable then I doubt the red card happens against Watford, too)

Our attackers aren't being clinical enough. The Leicester game was evidence enough of that.

Missing Alderweireld is huge.
If missing one player (who is a defender) is huge then the squad is thin and we are not good enough for top positions. That is what you are implying.

My view is different, we are not leaking goals left right and center because Toby is missing and the problem is we are not creating and scoring to win games, thus so many draws specially at Wembley. The reasons are Eriksen and Dele not on form. On top, our Midfielders in Dembele, WInks and Dier are not creative and not contributing in the final third.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom