The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford||away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lack of football knowledge by some on this forum today is shocking.

We went down to 10 men with 30 mins to go with a point on the board and we came out the game with a point.

Under the circumstances that's a positive result.
What fucken circumstances are you on about? The same circumstances where we’re Tottenham Hotspur and they are fucken Watford?!

Against the better teams right. But when we're playing lower sides that threat is virtually missing. It's tepid ball possession and that's been the case in most PL games this season.
Don't disagree, but I do think we're losing half the battle with these stupidly-conceded goals in the first 15 minutes.

Even with Liverpool's pace, you're fucked trying to get behind a defence that's sitting on a lead.

So that's a whole other problem. One that (almost darkly humourously) Poch was lamenting midweek, only to do it again.

Speed in attack is a must. The ability to counter and get from our box to theirs is lacking this season. This is where we need refreshing because we use the same players every game. Not only must there be physical fatigue but mentally it must drain the likes of Kane and Eriksen who are in clearly short of full fitness.

Lamela's return is timely but we need more options in the squad. Either Poch delves into the youth team again or we have to buy.

Liverpool already had a formidable attack and improved it significantly by signing Salah. It adds another string to their bow. They can't start all of Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Lallana but that depth is scary.

City are even better and Utd today had the likes of Rashford and Mata on the bench with Mkhitaryan and Zlatan not involved.

Yes it costs a good whack to get these players but we have been blessed that our striker is a product of our own academy and our star young player only cost five mil. We haven't had to splash the cash to assemble what we already have which makes it more infuriating at how we bungle the final pieces of the jigsaw. Between N'Jie, N'Koudou, Janssen and Llorente is £40m combined we spent. For fuck all in return.

One high quality player > a handful of bargain basement punts.
Good post

tottenhams-toby-alderweireld-limps-off-injured-against-real-madrid-with-what-appears-to-be-a-pulled-hamstring.jpg

Yes losing one of the best defenders in the league is a huge miss but we coped without him last season. He can't be the only reason. We aren't doing anything as good as we usually do with or without him. Now another CB down for 3 games, of which is city. Guess we are only 4 points from 4th as the top 3 I'd imagine is a complete long shot. Beating Stoke and Brighton is fucking critical now or I can't see us getting top 4.

What fucken circumstances are you on about? The same circumstances where we’re Tottenham Hotspur and they are fucken Watford?!

Last season we'd have won that. Yes under the circumstance where we aren't even playing well with 11, with 10 we stood no chance in winning. With son off, our only other out ball and chance of holding the ball higher up was gone, apart kane who also looked like he faded late on. We had to hang on for a point and can consider it a good result.

i wish we would just stop swapping full backs every game now - just play aurier and rose ffs

Right now I don't think it would have made a difference. The rut is what it is. Rose played shit against Leicester. Doesn't look interested in giving his best anymore.

Yes losing one of the best defenders in the league is a huge miss . but we coped without him last season. He can't be the only reason. We aren't doing anything as good as we usually do with or without him. Now another CB down for 3 games, of which is city. Guess we are only 4 points from 4th as the top 3 I'd imagine is a complete long shot. Beating Stoke and Brighton is fucking critical now or I can't see us getting top 4.

Myth. We struggled in a similar fashion.

Against the better teams right. But when we're playing lower sides that threat is virtually missing. It's tepid ball possession and that's been the case in most PL games this season.

What I found really annoying yesterday, and other games against "teams we should beat", is that so much of our possession leads nowhere. 10-15 passes and the ball doesnt even go in the box.
Then the oppo break, 2-3 passes and they are in our box causing problems. Watford had seven corners to our two.
Why? Because our crosses are not dangerous, and are easy to defend, where as theirs needed dealing with, or were whipped in well enough to spin off the defender.

Our moves hardly come to a conclusion. Way too complicated. Watford didnt park any busses, the fact is we have become bereft of ideas, and are consumed by possession being the only important factor.

Its like its better to pass backwards than to risk losing the ball by having a dig.

What I found really annoying yesterday, and other games against "teams we should beat", is that so much of our possession leads nowhere. 10-15 passes and the ball doesnt even go in the box.
Then the oppo break, 2-3 passes and they are in our box causing problems. Watford had seven corners to our two.
Why? Because our crosses are not dangerous, and are easy to defend, where as theirs needed dealing with, or were whipped in well enough to spin off the defender.

Our moves hardly come to a conclusion. Way too complicated. Watford didnt park any busses, the fact is we have become bereft of ideas, and are consumed by possession being the only important factor.

Its like its better to pass backwards than to risk losing the ball by having a dig.
It’s the quality of our Fullbacks that is having a massive impact. Tripp’s has delivered 59 crosses in the PL so far this season, only 12 finding a Spurs shit. The vast majority from Tripps are hit far to early and are easy to defend against. If on the rare occasion he gets behind then that ball is generally good, but that early ball is just a waste of time, far better for him to let that ball be played by one of the CB’s whilst he looks to pin back the oppo. Because he can’t take on his man there is only one place he’s going to pass it and that’s backwards.

They could've had one player sent off right.. still it's just a fucking stupid challenge from Sanchez to knock out a player with his ellbows up in the fucking sky.. red card is ok imo. Plus, Watfrod shoudl've gotten a penalty at the end. It's not the referee to blame for our shit performances lately.
Disagree. Refs weren’t to blame for our recent poor performances but yesterday’s wasn’t poor. Bright start resulting in going a goal down after Dier was fouled twice during our attack. Sanchez red wasn’t a red. He didn’t elbow the guy he put his arm out to block his run. Booking yes, excessive force and a red, no way. And their guy should have gone on 3 occasions but was allowed to get away with foul after foul. He had THREE after the booking and should have been booked for scything dele down on the break first half. The penalty he got wrong but that situation doesn’t even occur if he doesn’t get all those precious decisions wrong not not mention reduceing us to 10 men for the entire second half.

We’ve been shit of late and the last thing u need when trying to turn that around is refereeing like that.

There was even one occasion in the last couple of minutes where the linesman appeared to actually asked their player if it was a corner and then gave it! Fucking ridiculous.

Disagree. Refs weren’t to blame for our recent poor performances but yesterday’s wasn’t poor. Bright start resulting in going a goal down after Dier was fouled twice during our attack. Sanchez red wasn’t a red. He didn’t elbow the guy he put his arm out to block his run. Booking yes, excessive force and a red, no way. And their guy should have gone on 3 occasions but was allowed to get away with foul after foul. He had THREE after the booking and should have been booked for scything dele down on the break first half. The penalty he got wrong but that situation doesn’t even occur if he doesn’t get all those precious decisions wrong not not mention reduceing us to 10 men for the entire second half.

We’ve been shit of late and the last thing u need when trying to turn that around is refereeing like that.

Agree with some of this but the Sanchez red is s stonewall and if it was say deeny on trippier you wouldn't be calling it harsh.

Is he an attacker ... midfielder ... .forward?!
WE are not creating scoring opportunities for Kane and Son.
Come on now. Against Leicester we missed a whole bunch of golden chances. The problem is we keep leaking goals early on against shit teams and giving them something to defend. And our defensive issues are compounded by both Toby and Wanyama being out at the same time. And with Sanchez (wrongly) facing a 3 match ban that’s only looking worse.

Agree with some of this but the Sanchez red is s stonewall and if it was say deeny on trippier you wouldn't be calling it harsh.
Yes I would. What would I gain from interpreting an incident differently depending on who it was for?

It was never a red. He spread his arms out to shield the ball and block the run. No question it was a foul but he’d have had to physically swing his arm/elbow at him for it to be aggressive and warrant a red.

Come on now. Against Leicester we missed a whole bunch of golden chances. The problem is we keep leaking goals early on against shit teams and giving them something to defend. And our defensive issues are compounded by both Toby and Wanyama being out at the same time. And with Sanchez (wrongly) facing a 3 match ban that’s only looking worse.
Agree but why. Mentally we are not together, strong and seem to be unbalanced . The core strengths are missing . Players you have mentioned is a factor but not the whole picture.

It’s the quality of our Fullbacks that is having a massive impact. Tripp’s has delivered 59 crosses in the PL so far this season, only 12 finding a Spurs shit. The vast majority from Tripps are hit far to early and are easy to defend against. If on the rare occasion he gets behind then that ball is generally good, but that early ball is just a waste of time, far better for him to let that ball be played by one of the CB’s whilst he looks to pin back the oppo. Because he can’t take on his man there is only one place he’s going to pass it and that’s backwards.
Agree about the full backs, but its not so much the quality of crosses IMO. Walker didn't pull up many trees in that department either did he? To me what we've missed this term is the pace and attacking intent of Walker and Rose in tandem. We struggled against bus parkers last season for a while and it was those two who helped us through it, that pace and width can stretch defences and upset their shape. Against WBA for example it was all too much passing around in front of their defence, and all too easy for them.

Only just caught up with motd. I'm not usually one to moan about officiating and our biggest problem is we keep conceding early goal, not bad refs.

However it does look like he had a stinker. There was a clear foul on Dier before they broke and scored from the resulting corner. He also seemed to let them get away with kicking Kane off the park and for me Sanchez should of been booked and told to be more careful but a red for that is very harsh in my opinion. It was also a stonewall pen for the Dier handball so all in all he's had a shocker.

Back
Top Bottom