The mighty Tottenham Hotspur v. Plastic chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always respect your opinion fella.

Here's a thought though, when you say we must learn from it, what do we do about it? Not let them have a single shot on goal? If so how do we do that in all reality and in a game of football, let alone against a championship winning side? Is that a realistic expectation? Out of all the games played last season in the PL how many were played where a team didn't have a shot on target? (I can think of ManU vs Woolwich where Woolwich had one shot on target in the 91st min, they scored too).
Against chavs:
- Give away tactical fouls instead of silly ones
- Should have subbed Wanyama, clearly struggling and not quite fit. I don't blame Hugo for passing to him, you pass to the player in the best position and have to assume he's fit.
- Made more runs behind them to stop their defensive game.

I just feel it was a similar game to the semi final, they disrupted the play and rattled us, they defended deep and hit us on the counter. Both times we played well and lost. Coincidence/bad luck? I'm sure that's part of it but probably not the whole lot, and I think Poch will privately be thinking the same.

Against chavs:
- Give away tactical fouls instead of silly ones
- Should have subbed Wanyama, clearly struggling and not quite fit. I don't blame Hugo for passing to him, you pass to the player in the best position and have to assume he's fit.
- Made more runs behind them to stop their defensive game.

I just feel it was a similar game to the semi final, they disrupted the play and rattled us, they defended deep and hit us on the counter. Both times we played well and lost. Coincidence/bad luck? I'm sure that's part of it but probably not the whole lot, and I think Poch will privately be thinking the same.
But that doesn't stop a team from having a shot on goal. Over the last two games against them we have conceded 7 shots on target (including pen and free kicks), they have scored 6!!! The only goal they have scored from open play from inside the box was on Sunday, a shot that should have been saved. These stats can't been repeated, Chavs can't repeat this, they only have the 5th best record in PL for shots on target.

Across ALL PL games played last year the ave shots on goal conceded was 5.33 shots per game, Tottenham last year's ave was 2.92, 3rd best in the league fractions behind Chavs and City with best. In all honesty even these numbers can be broken down to expected goals as this has a much better view as it weights where the shot is from (e.g. speculative one from outside the box to a far higher % shot from within the 6yrd box) but in this case it's not worth digging out those numbers, it's almost impossible to improve on this number. In context we are 0.04 behind Bayern Munich, 0.2 behind Juve, better than Real Madrid, better than Barcelona when you compare their shots on target conceded per game!!

Sorry to be a stat bore, but in a game of football the oppo will have a shot on goal, the better the oppo the more shots they will have (in theory), we are one of the the best FIVE teams in Europe for conceding shots on goal. Back to Chavs, they have had ONE shot on target from inside the box (highest % chance to score) and even that should have been a routine save.

We are as close to statistically perfect as you can get, it hurts to the core that I keep hearing Conte is a tactical genius, against us he is nothing other than a jammy cunt.

I agree I can recall having to go and pick my daughters up in the 1990's several years running on Saturday around 4.30. Each year we seemed to be playing Chelsea and they used to score whilst I was listening on the car Radio. I year I seem to recall we were winning but during the 10 min journey Chelsea scored twice and we lost....
...This has been going on for far too long. Need to win at the Bridge.
No mate... YOU need a new car radio!
Don't tell me you didn't ever think it was down to that... at least for a fleeting moment!

But that doesn't stop a team from having a shot on goal. Over the last two games against them we have conceded 7 shots on target (including pen and free kicks), they have scored 6!!! The only goal they have scored from open play from inside the box was on Sunday, a shot that should have been saved. These stats can't been repeated, Chavs can't repeat this, they only have the 5th best record in PL for shots on target.

Across ALL PL games played last year the ave shots on goal conceded was 5.33 shots per game, Tottenham last year's ave was 2.92, 3rd best in the league fractions behind Chavs and City with best. In all honesty even these numbers can be broken down to expected goals as this has a much better view as it weights where the shot is from (e.g. speculative one from outside the box to a far higher % shot from within the 6yrd box) but in this case it's not worth digging out those numbers, it's almost impossible to improve on this number. In context we are 0.04 behind Bayern Munich, 0.2 behind Juve, better than Real Madrid, better than Barcelona when you compare their shots on target conceded per game!!

Sorry to be a stat bore, but in a game of football the oppo will have a shot on goal, the better the oppo the more shots they will have (in theory), we are one of the the best FIVE teams in Europe for conceding shots on goal. Back to Chavs, they have had ONE shot on target from inside the box (highest % chance to score) and even that should have been a routine save.

We are as close to statistically perfect as you can get, it hurts to the core that I keep hearing Conte is a tactical genius, against us he is nothing other than a jammy cunt.
Stop torturing yourself... the only conclusion you can glean from this is that STATS mean fuck all when Spurs play Chelsea!
Nothing to do with 'form' (or else we'd have won)
Fuck all to do with possession or shots to goal % ratio statwanks... or else we'd have annihilated them...
But it's ALL to do with us still having a mental block against them at Wembley (admittedly, the home performances/results against them at WHL have been pretty good!)

You can't even try to look at Stats to work out where it went wrong... stats are for online gamers who don't KNOW what it feels like to step into a ground and just 'know' it's not gonna be your day... DESPITE having every stat from every Geek in the World to tell you you're being ridiculous.
Stats make SENSE... Spurs v Chelsea does NOT!

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea in the first place? It genuinely blows my mind. There must have been a meeting regarding it where someone okayed it. It just makes us look pathetic.
Edit: Also, why weren't the Trust consulted?
170523055621-boardroom-file-super-tease.jpg

Got a problem with authority, boy?

Expected goals, theirs was higher than ours (I think) for Sunday's game.

I think we are both right. We did play well both those two games, as your stats show, but I still feel strongly that there's stuff Poch will want to put right.

Obviously it's goals that matter not shots on target. They were more clinical than us. We made silly errors. You can't say that Son fouling Moses in the semi leading to a pen somehow doesn't count as a goal because it wasn't from open play (not saying you think this). Similar for the foul for the Willian free kick. If you were being really harsh you could say Alli doesn't take the risk with the tackle on Luiz on Sunday (I still don't think it was a foul). But you know they have excellent set piece takers so maybe you don't take the risk. Do Chelsea make those kinds of mistakes? Well, not against us they don't.

At Stamford Bridge we go 1-0 up but we don't close the game off in the way they do against us. Time wasting, tactical fouls etc. Horrible stuff and I wouldn't suggest we do against other sides. We just needed to do that a bit more and there may not have been time for Pedro to score just on half time. If we win that game the title race looks different.

Whether Conte's a genius or his players are just more experienced, all this is an area we need to improve in. We have the best players and play the best football in the league but that alone is not enough.

Some observations,

I now understand about the complaints about the tourists. I was also in Club Wembley; which was very, very nice, but that proved to be a mistake as apparently nobody in those sections care to join in and sing. I was getting funny looks for singing, maybe they were surprised a Yank knew the words (and they didn't?) or maybe that "type of behavior" is simply below those folks? Whatever, I sang, I cheered, I did my best to support the club.

Obviously the game was frustrating as hell, but it's early in the season.

Apart from that, I loved the trip. Chelsea is really nice. We walked 12-15 miles/day around London, the tube was easy to navigate, the city is wonderful, we saw most of the major sites both by day and by night. I wish I knew the tube was shut down Monday night after midnight. We couldn't figure out the bus route and paid 25 quid for a cab from London Bridge to Chelsea. Ouch. Lesson learned.

Wembley park is cool but I really want to come back for the new WHL. Thank God that fucking drum is gone.

OK so lets give this forum one more chance and hope certain posters here can behave like grown men. Instead of throwing their toys out of the pram cause they don't like to hear different opinions.

I made a comment the other day that Wembley is too big for us. I stand by that we had about 20000 empty seats for a Chelsea game,the atmosphere was poor as Courtois mentioned and they had to use the tannoy to try and create atmosphere. This is gonna be a problem for us we are not used to it.

Why are there empty seats for Tottenham vs Chelsea at Wembley?

:dembelefingers:

I reckon we should get a band playing during the match. Much better than a solitary drum. Like Holland. And more recently England. I loved hearing the old Spurs dittys while wandering around the stadium before the match. Getting those going inside during the game would be really cool I reckon. I can play a trumpet, but cant attend every game. Think I'll email Daniel Levy. I reckon this could be a winner.

Back
Top Bottom