The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur V BVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd prefer Davo if I was him
8540391.jpg

In the gods tonight so had a good view of the back 5 out of possession, if possible 10 yards further forwards, in a straight line with sanchez and a fb ready on the turn. Awesome...

Clearing all crosses with davies saving us when needed.

Dortmund are very tidy and we did to them what Monaco did to us last year.

Love Harry

Awesome game, top performance (apart from the ref)

Credit to Dortmund, they looked good at points. Aurier looked class, as did all the defence.

Gutted Jan was sent but we bring Dier in for him and Wanyama into CM, so it's not a disaster. At least it wasn't Kane or Eriksen. Apoel won't be a walk over, but at least it isn't Madrid.

One of my happiest nights in 20 years as a Spurs fan.

We showed something I didn't think we had tonight, and that was a plan B. At liverpool last season a lot of us were begging Poch to have us sit deep and play the counter-attack. We didn't and we got demolished. Tonight was a proper European performance; recognise your opponents strengths and counter them.

Lloris 7 Distribution was standard Lloris but one great save
Aurier 7.5 Rash on a couple of occasions but definitely has great quality
Alderweireld 8 As imperious as ever
Sanchez 8.5 Early days but looks the business
Vertonghen 9 For me since Christmas last year has outshone Alderweireld and again tonight; so good with the ball .at his feet but also a reads the game incredibly
Davies 8.5 Whose name is Danny Rose?
Dembele 5.5 Probably the worst I've seen him play tbf (and I'm a massive Moussa advocate)
Dier 7 Solid
Son 7.5 Amazing goal but docked .5 because he should have had a second
Eriksen 7.5 Not great at times but an assist and will always create something
Kane 9.5 Incredible all night and he's one of our own! What a player

Poch was ready for this match, I think we had our tactics down and came out even better in the 2nd half. Very encouraging to see as sometimes I think a Poch is a bit inflexible or slow to adapt. He's getting used to competing at this level, too, and tonight showed he's improving with the club in this situations.

I'd prefer Davo if I was him
I wanted to see him with "Davinson" on his shirt. More wedge for the club shop and more original, Sánchez's are two a penny. Here's a thing tho, I was down with calling him DAVinson but a commentator at the weekend called him DavINson. So I checked and no, he doesn't have an accent on the "á" so I guess the commentator was right (there are complex Spanish pronunciation rules in play here, you'll have to trust me).

Dazza it is then. Or Dave.

Spoken like someone who has never played. He's a fucking forward. It is 1 on 4 the majority of game. Forwards lose the ball all the time.
Used to play in goal for Harrow Borough. A reasonable standard and probably higher than 95% of people. Nice assumption though.

Whether they do or not is moot. It wasn't his best game outside of the goals. As I said, it's a testament to his effectiveness he still made it a game winning performance.

I'm not saying anything outrageous here.

FYI, it's never 1 on 4. He lost the ball in 1 on 1 situations. Hence me saying it was hold up situations. Dortmund weren't double teaming him.

We showed something I didn't think we had tonight, and that was a plan B. At liverpool last season a lot of us were begging Poch to have us sit deep and play the counter-attack. We didn't and we got demolished. Tonight was a proper European performance; recognise your opponents strengths and counter them.

Vertonghen 9 For me since Christmas last year has outshone Alderweireld and again tonight; so good with the ball .at his feet but also a reads the game incredibly
Dembele 5.5 Probably the worst I've seen him play tbf (and I'm a massive Moussa advocate)
Dier 7 Solid

The plan B was great to see. The fact it came off against top quality opposition should give them real confidence should they need to use it again. Next time I'd stick Winksy in and try to get him covering every defensive blade of grass Kante style

Poch was ready for this match, I think we had our tactics down and came out even better in the 2nd half. Very encouraging to see as sometimes I think a Poch is a bit inflexible or slow to adapt. He's getting used to competing at this level, too, and tonight showed he's improving with the club in this situations.
Do you remember how a couple of years back some people used to winge that he had no Plan B?

Let's not forget that the build up the Dortmund's goal was offside - they showed it on the US broadcast. That being said, that offside goal was a brutally bad call against Dortmund in the second half. But there was a lot of questionable decisions both ways in terms of deflections and some fouls.

And frankly, we deserve a bit of luck at Wembley. We've put in some good performances lately going back the the FA semis and we've had shit luck the whole time. We deserved to catch a break and we won that game, make no mistake.

Dier 7 Solid

Nice write up.

You don't need to explain yourself regarding Dembele. He looked off the pace tonight.

Their goal was largely on him not closing down the space.

Don't want to harp on negatives because there were many more positives tonight. Just caught off guard by the Moose's poor performance.

Back
Top Bottom