The Line

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It won't have moved above United yet.

Not while Spurs could technically turn the ball into their own net 30 times and lose all three games.

Edit: and I say this as someone who knows it's essentially in the bag - don't get me wrong!
:llorishuh:
Sorry forgot it could go Spursy and Rooney will smash 20 goals in 3 games, whilst we lose all three of ours and concede 10 and score none. :pochfacepalm:

6EaqMyo.jpg

Weird orange box is because mathematically Liverpool can achieve 69 points. The midweek fixtures could change this btw...

The simple table doesn't take games played or yet to play into account, hence this type of error will crop up.
You should arrange the table in order of 1. Maximum possible points for each team. 2. Goal Difference.
So stop being lazy and fucking sort it out for next season!

The simple table doesn't take games played or yet to play into account, hence this type of error will crop up.
You should arrange the table in order of 1. Maximum possible points for each team. 2. Goal Difference.
So stop being lazy and fucking sort it out for next season!

That's not how it works. Thanks for playing though.

City better pull up their socks against Woolwich or risk missing the Champions League altogether.
In some ways, that Southampton loss could be the best thing that could have happened...

If they lose to Real Madrid this week, that Woolwich game becomes essential to win and Man City will be playing with extra incentive. Also, they rotated eight members of the squad for that match (?) so even with a midweek game they shouldn't be too ragged on Sunday. The best we can hope for is a 90 minute match against Real, with no extra time.

The line is under 4th, but just to be clear - the only way we could finish 4th would be if all of these happen:
  • City beat Woolwich by a narrow margin
  • We lose to Soton by a very big margin
  • Woolwich beat Villa by a very big margin
  • City beat Swansea by a very big margin
  • We lose to Newcastle by a very big margin
Right?

The line is under 4th, but just to be clear - the only way we could finish 4th would be if all of these happen:
  • City beat Woolwich by a narrow margin
  • We lose to Soton by a very big margin
  • Woolwich beat Villa by a very big margin
  • City beat Swansea by a very big margin
  • We lose to Newcastle by a very big margin
Right?
Errr.... basically, yes. It's not impossible, but improbable.

We actually have the joy of not playing catch up next weekend, with the City-Woolwich match being immediately after our Southampton match.

I suppose if we got a draw against Southampton, and City won, we'd have 2nd place guaranteed - but that'd be an awfully nail biting set of results to wait through. Oh, and as much as I think City are fully capable of beating Woolwich, their results against the top teams have been atrocious this season - so we shouldn't count on them for anything.

Errr.... basically, yes. It's not impossible, but improbable.

We actually have the joy of not playing catch up next weekend, with the City-Woolwich match being immediately after our Southampton match.

I suppose if we got a draw against Southampton, and City won, we'd have 2nd place guaranteed - but that'd be an awfully nail biting set of results to wait through. Oh, and as much as I think City are fully capable of beating Woolwich, their results against the top teams have been atrocious this season - so we shouldn't count on them for anything.
Yup, I have very little faith in them beating Woolwich. But still, we should be able to do it on our own from here. If you'd have asked me at any point earlier in the season whether I thought we'd be likely to take at least 3 points from Soton at home and Newcastle away, I'd have said absolutely yes.

For what it's worth, the Betfair exchange markets currently have us at 1.14 (~88% chance) to finish 2nd, and there aren't even any odds being offered on us finishing top 3 - meaning that it's greater than a 1000-1 (99.9% chance) that we finish top 3.

Ideally, we want to win the next two games. Realistically though, if City tie or beat woolwich, all we really need is one point.

Ideally, we want to win the next two games. Realistically though, if City tie or beat woolwich, all we really need is one point.

If City beat Woolwich we could actual lose both our games and finish above them on GD unless they put about 15 past Villa.

If City beat Woolwich we could actual lose both our games and finish above them on GD unless they put about 15 past Villa.

Exactly. I forgot who said it yesterday, but despite how anyone feels about the game, that one point could prove infinitely valuable. I have gone from unbelievably nervous to much more confident now that we'll retain 2nd after looking at the table and games left. It's not that I'm confident, just feeling better and I want two strong wins still.

For what it's worth, the Betfair exchange markets currently have us at 1.14 (~88% chance) to finish 2nd, and there aren't even any odds being offered on us finishing top 3 - meaning that it's greater than a 1000-1(99.9% chance) that we finish top 3.

That really does put odds of 5000-1 into context I guess...

Back
Top Bottom