The Injury Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/december/Woolwich-v-spurs-team-news/
Juan Foyth is back in the fold for our Carabao Cup quarter-final at Woolwich on Wednesday night.

The defender has missed our last three games with a thigh injury but has returned to training with the squad. Davinson Sanchez (hamstring) is also back in training after being sidelined for a month.

Mauricio Pochettino reported: "Juan Foyth is going to be in the squad. Davinson is so close. That is good news. We have a very busy fixture schedule ahead and the most important thing is the spirit and how we will approach the games."

Serge Aurier (groin) and Mousa Dembele (ankle) are continuing with on-field rehabilitation and Victor Wanyama (knee) is progressing with rehabilitation and has now commenced gym work.

Jan Vertonghen is expected to return to training in January after picking up a thigh injury against Barcelona while Eric Dier (Appendicitis) continues his recovery following surgery to remove his appendix.

Ben Pearce‏ @BenPearceSpurs 9m9 minutes ago
#thfc Serge Aurier and Mousa Dembele are now in the final stages of their recovery (Dembele would certainly be useful if he can play over Christmas, given other midfield injuries). Dier's now out of hospital after appendicitis and Vertonghen has started training outdoors.

A much more optimistic report than we could have hoped for, assuming we see Foyth and Sanchez back at the weekend, maybe one starting and one on the bench.

What's going on with Lamela? Sounds as though he is crocked again.

Not in the match day squad v Wolves - a journalist said at the time Lamela had picked up a knock, How accurate at info was and how serious I guess we might find out later. Certainly wasn't mentioned in the injury news ahead of the Wolves match (see below).

Physioroom has him down as 'late fitness test' for today but given the absence of news I think that is just their 'guess'

Worrying given Lamela's recent injury history

Spurs v Wolves - team news | Tottenham Hotspur
Serge Aurier is back in training with the squad while Dele Alli will be assessed ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Right-back Serge has been suffering from a groin problem since the 2-0 win at Leicester City on 8 December.

Midfielder Dele sat out of our Boxing Day win over Bournemouth, having been withdrawn at half-time during last weekend’s 6-2 triumph at Everton over a hamstring concern.

Elsewhere, central midfielder Victor Wanyama (knee) has now joined defender Jan Vertonghen (thigh) in on-field rehabilitation.

Last edited:
Not in the match day squad v Wolves - a journalist said at the time Lamela had picked up a knock, How accurate at info was and how serious I guess we might find out later. Certainly wasn't mentioned in the injury news ahead of the Wolves match (see below).

Physioroom has him down as 'late fitness test' for today but given the absence of news I think that is just their 'guess'

Worrying given Lamela's recent injury history

Spurs v Wolves - team news | Tottenham Hotspur
Serge Aurier is back in training with the squad while Dele Alli will be assessed ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Right-back Serge has been suffering from a groin problem since the 2-0 win at Leicester City on 8 December.

Midfielder Dele sat out of our Boxing Day win over Bournemouth, having been withdrawn at half-time during last weekend’s 6-2 triumph at Everton over a hamstring concern.

Elsewhere, central midfielder Victor Wanyama (knee) has now joined defender Jan Vertonghen (thigh) in on-field rehabilitation.
How bad is Erik Lamela's injury?

I don't know, I cannot confirm.

Every word Poch said in his press conference with a worrying answer on Lamela

Thanks for posting. But does nothing to allay my fears (based upon recent injury record)
Thanks for replying earlier. The reason I was asking the question in the first place was because I had read the article I've since posted the link to, and the old alarm bells began flashing.

I think we have become very cagey when it comes to providing injury updates. I've been on the official site recently before games and basically not been able to find anything out.

Lamela is a useful player, but I just cannot take any more of this.

Thanks for replying earlier. The reason I was asking the question in the first place was because I had read the article I've since posted the link to, and the old alarm bells began flashing.

I think we have become very cagey when it comes to providing injury updates. I've been on the official site recently before games and basically not been able to find anything out.

Lamela is a useful player, but I just cannot take any more of this.

Modern day Anderton.

Modern day Anderton.

Sadly with his stop start time with us I think Pochettino needs to make a decision on keeping either Lamela or Lucas Moura. Lamela's injuries over the festive period has seen us not rotate anywhere near what we should have. I like Lamela but if it's him or a promising player coming in his place based on squad numbers etc I'd rather see us go for someone else and wish him well back to somewhere like Italy etc.

Tottenham Hotspur‏Verified account @SpursOfficial
TEAM NEWS: @mousadembele (ankle) @JanVertonghen (thigh) - have returned to training with the squad today and remain unavailable.pic.twitter.com/LbfBSbaG8l
  1. Dv_LyYiX4AImSgd.jpg

Dv_LzYsX0AEtgyZ.jpg

1. Dv_NCe_XcAITT9q.jpg

Dv_NDdDX0AE5EbI.jpg

TEAM NEWS: @ErikLamela (illness) – returned to training with the squad yesterday following a calf injury but is unavailable for tomorrow’s match due to illness.pic.twitter.com/yiAdOFL7nd
Dv_NcR8XgAYqrex.jpg

No news on Aurier - I'd guess he's back ?

Journalist's take on Poch's press conference :

Ben Pearce
‏ @BenPearceSpurs

#thfc Jan Vertonghen and Mousa Dembele returned to training with the squad today. They won't play against Tranmere but it would be a boost if they’re both ready to face Chelsea next week. Erik Lamela returned to training after injury yesterday but is now ill.

Alasdair Gold‏Verified account @AlasdairGold
Spurs injury news: Dembele (ankle) & Vertonghen (thigh) – returned to training today but still unavailable. Dier (appendicitis) – started on-field reconditioning. Lamela (Illness) – returned to training yesterday but out due to illness. Wanyama (knee) continuing outdoor rehab.

TEAM NEWS: @LucasMoura7 (knee) sustained an injury against Tranmere and will miss tomorrow's game. He will be assessed ahead of Sunday's match against Man Utd.pic.twitter.com/yhvIP85UNu
DwT9tkdXgAEGlvG.jpg

DwT-o48WoAMQbd5.jpg

DwT-qBQWwAAhG_S.jpg

DwT-8GEWsAESMnH.jpg

Moura out us a concern, particularly with Son's departure for the Asian Games in about a week.

Good news is Lanmela is back, but he's probably now our 4th best AM. Still think Poch should have taken Jack Roles (AM) to Tranmere to give him a run out, so that he might be available for sub appearances to rest players when Son is away

sHyf8NSL_bigger.jpg
TEAM NEWS: @ericdier (appendicitis) has started to join in with some team training sessions and remains unavailable. @LucasMoura7 (knee) is being assessed ahead of Sunday’s match. @VictorWanyama (knee) is progressing to late stages of rehabilitation. #COYSpic.twitter.com/GJ69Nd0h5x

DwoYVCUWkAEw1yQ.jpg

DwoYcR8WkAAcnmF.jpg

DwoYdWuWoAAYSCj.jpg

Good news is that Spurs are down to 3 players to report on (which means Vertonghen and Dembele are fit), but I had hope that both Dier and Moura would also be fit.

With Son off to Asia after the ManU match, Moura becomes a very key player, and yje reyurn of Dier will certainly be a godsend to enlarge options in midfield

Back
Top Bottom