the guessing game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

with all the rumours and names we are linked to, compared to what we can afford,
and who we would have to keep and who we would have to sell, coupled with manager
woes, is anybody keen on taking a stab at the face of tottenham come next season?
here are my future team musings.

MANAGER = redknapp

GK = friedel (stay) - gomes (sell) - cudicini (stay) - krul (buy)

DEF = kaboul (stay) - gallas (stay) - dawson (stay) - king (stay) - walker (stay) - BAE (stay) - nelson (sell) - khumalo (sell) - bassong (stay) - corluka (sell) - vertonghen (buy) - caulker (move up) - naughton (move up)

MID = bale (stay) - huddlestone (stay) - lennon (stay) - parker (stay) - vdv (stay) - modric (stay) - kranjcar (sell) - rose (stay) - livermore (stay) - sandro (stay) - bently (sell) - pienaar (sell) - jenas (sell) - townsend (stay) - carroll (move up) - falque (buy) - mason (move up) - hoillet (buy)

STR = ade (buy) - saha (stay) - defoe (stay) - dos santos (sell) - remy (buy)

not my dream team but definately a situation i realistically see us in.

You've listed 7 center backs, overkill.

I would like to see one of Pienaar or Kranjcar stay, I suspect it may be Pienaar as Kranjcar will be on the last year of his contract.

We've already bought Falque.

Mason and Carroll aren't ready yet. Townsend maybe and Button as third choice keeper, don't see the need of buying a new first team keeper for next season, more likely the season after.

players moving up will be from just being professionals with contracts to actual 1st team players,
many of which will go straight off to loan much like this season, hence all the CB's.

falque i thought we had only on a 1 year, my bad.

nothing like im sure any of us want to see but definately i would guess fairly close
to what might happen.

I personally can't see Naughton and Caulker going out on loan again, if they aren't ready for Spurs now then when will they be? Their respective loan club fans are hoping to keep a hold of them but don't see it happening, certainly not in the case of Caulker as the Swansea manager has said he has no hope in keeping him as Spurs and Harry have big plans for him.

Naughton has intimated he wants 1st team football not a place on the bench in quotes attributed to him and Caulker has said he is ready to play in the Champions League with Spurs.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with our center backs next season, my gut is that Bassong will be off and one of King, Gallas or Nelsen released and if we bring Vertonghen in that will still leave us with 6 quality center backs.

In terms of Naughton, if he comes in he can be backup for both Walker and Ekotto so should get a decent amount of games. Depends how he sees it and whether he has the ambition to try and displace Walker from the side. His contract is up in 2013 so if Spurs want to keep him they need to play him next season to persuade to stay.

the youngsters in the wings are something we so often forget when we see
big names splashed all over the net being linked to us.
we still have decent strikers, wingers, mid fielders - both attacking and defensive, and defenders heading on up.
who is to say the next hazard, or remy or messi or hulk or ronaldo isnt about to start blooming right in front of us.

Krul just signed a new 4/5 year contract with Newcastle. So unless we're willing to shell out the big bucks for him (£10-15m) I can't see that one happening.

Wouldn't mind seeing Vorm come in. Also imagine David Button will move up to the first team, if Gomes and Carlo both leave, as third choice.

Back
Top Bottom