The Glorious Tottenham Hotspur vs FC City of Abu-Dhabi

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Match of the Day is full of idiots. We play Chelsea in our game in hand, and vice versa. 'If tottenham and Chelsea both win their games in hand' - match of the day

Tottenham rewarded after André Villas-Boas shows his flexible thinking

The manager's introductions of Huddlestone, Holtby and Defoe were timed to perfection in the victory over Manchester City

This is precisely the sort of display we expected when André Villas-Boas arrived in England nearly two years ago – Tottenham won this game thanks to pace, width and clinical finishing, following an intelligent tactical switch from their manager.
In a first half thatManchester Citydominated, the two teams were arranged in a similar fashion – Scott Parker sat deep and allowed Mousa Dembélé to storm forward, while Gareth Barry did the same for Yaya Touré. Both sets of wide players came inside quickly, while Edin Dzeko and Emmanuel Adebayor were largely isolated up front.
The major difference was the player "in the hole" on either side. Spurs used the fit-again Gareth Bale, who received the ball in dangerous positions in the opening moments, but gradually found his space restricted as City remained compact. With Clint Dempsey and, in particular, Gylfi Sigurdsson moving inside, City defended narrow and Bale was crowded out.
At the other end, Carlos Tevez showed greater positional intelligence throughout the first half, positioning himself between the lines, and constantly drifting to the flanks to overload Tottenham in wide areas. His pass to James Milner in the build-up to Samir Nasri's opener was sublime, and the Argentine also created chances for Nasri and Dzeko with clever touches after finding himself unmarked.
Villas-Boas made a subtle change at half-time: Bale swapping with Dempsey and moving to the right flank. This unwittingly played into City's hands, however – Roberto Mancini had been forced to replace the injured Milner with Aleksandar Kolarov, who went to the left flank. In tandem with Gaël Clichy, City shut down Bale's space easily.

Tottenham-v-Man-City-001.jpg

Tottenham's switch to 4-3-3 meant Carlos Tevez was occupied, allowing Lewis Holtby and Mousa Dembele to storm forward, while Gareth Bale and Jermain Defoe made runs behind the defence. Illustration: Graphic
After an hour, Villas-Boas changed things more dramatically, moving from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3. Tom Huddlestone replaced Parker and sat solidly in the holding role, tracking Tevez across the pitch, and spraying some excellent forward passes into attack. Meanwhile, Lewis Holtby replaced Sigurdsson, and alongside Dembélé helped overpower Barry and Touré with sheer energy.
Once Jermain Defoe had replaced the ineffectual Adebayor 10 minutes later, Spurs were playing in a completely different fashion. Their first half attacks were slow and involved various players crowding the centre – now, with Bale higher up the pitch and looking for balls in behind, an approach Defoe instinctively replicated, they could attack directly at speed. Forward passes were combined with clever runs, and Spurs were superb for the final 20 minutes and Mancini failed to respond tactically.
With Spurs in a powerful 4-3-3 and Bale out on the right, cutting inside on to his left foot in the manner of Brazilian forward Hulk, Spurs were reminiscent of Villas-Boas's Porto side that won the Portuguese league unbeaten and the Europa League in 2010-11.
The impression that Tottenham have rediscovered their 'vertical' style of play, the fact that Villas-Boas himself was a crucial part of the victory, and the small matter of three points against a quality side at such a crucial stage of the season, means this win might one day be considered pivotal in Spurs' evolution under their Portuguese tactician.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/apr/21/tottenham-villas-boas-manchester-city

Bit random but does anyone know of any trouble pre-game? A10 exit was closed for a while, I spoke to a car park guy and he reckons it kicked off? I wasn't too sure.

Something to do with where they park their coaches and where we get off the train, I think around Northumberland Park station

Bit random but does anyone know of any trouble pre-game? A10 exit was closed for a while, I spoke to a car park guy and he reckons it kicked off? I wasn't too sure.

Something to do with where they park their coaches and where we get off the train, I think around Northumberland Park station
There was a non-football related stabbing at somepoint that day apparently.

the match was on live in Australia at 1030pm on Sunday night.. perfect way to round out the weekend..

I dont think I've seen a better 10mins of football from spurs then what they showed last night.

brilliant stuff

Upon watching MOTD I have decided that Dawson is not being given the credit he deserves for the cushioned header to Thudd for the third goal. So very composed.
Dawson is possibly the most improved player of the season! He is a competley different player to the one who started the season who only wanted to hoof it all the time!

Fantastic result - great display from the boys

The only natural step from here is to go and lose 1:0 to Wigan

#spursy

:troll:

Back
Top Bottom