The fruition of Pochettino’s tenure

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice read, but nothing new thats not been said 100 times.
Results in the pl are going very well and long may it continue. Personally i still dont think we are particularly easy on the eye. Its still pretty slow paced and posession for posession sake.

We were terrible in the first leg against andelecht, so tonight will see what stage we are at....sunday will be our biggest test of the season so far

I think it is a bit premature to be singing the praises of Pochettino and a bit dangerous ahead of an important European game and back to back london derbys that will bitterly sting if results are unfavourable .

dembele does seem to be back on his game.
really rate him. he adds something different to what we already have.

seriously though, i think people are getting carried away a bit this season.
imagine if we were still in the carling cup & in the top 4.
they would be starting a campaign for the new stadium to be called the pitch poch stadium.
lets keep our feet on the ground. or as poch would say, keep our feet on the grass.
big month ahead. lets see where we are then.
i do believe the unbeaten thing has made things seem better than they really are.
dont forget the premiership has been poo again. & even on this unbeaten run, we aint in the top 4.

even poch himself keeps dismissing the unbeaten run in the interviews i've seen.
he says thats in the past & all the matters is the present.
football is the present & that is football!

Last edited:
seriously though, i think people are getting carried away a bit this season.
imagine if we were still in the carling cup & in the top 4.
they would be starting a campaign for the new stadium to be called the pitch poch stadium.
lets keep our feet on the ground. or as poch would say, keep our feet on the grass.
big month ahead. lets see where we are then.
i do believe the unbeaten thing has made things seem better than they really are.
dont forget the premiership has been poo again. & even on this unbeaten run, we aint in the top 4.

even poch himself keeps dismissing the unbeaten run in the interviews i've seen.
he says thats in the past & all the matters is the present.
football is the present & that is football!
But that is what the author writes in 2nd to last paragraph, no?

What has the league being shit got to do with anything with Spurs/Poch?

But that is what the author writes in 2nd to last paragraph, no?

What has the league being shit got to do with anything with Spurs/Poch?
I didn't read it but posted on it. tut tut.

but to be honest, it was aimed at people getting carried away on this forum.
it wasn't aimed at the article.

I am going to read the article in full now. before I post again on this thread.

oh & how shit the league is relevant to where we should be or how we are doing.
for example, say the usual top 4 & Liverpool were all really strong this season & all spent way more than us strengthening etc.
then I wouldn't criticise poch/spurs for finishing 6th as the teams above were really strong.

but if the likes of Chelsea & Liverpool are poor , & utd average. then id be more critical of poch/spurs for finishing 6th considering how poor the teams around us have been.

Kinda misses the key point which is that Poch has shifted our defence backwards about 10-20% and Dier is playing a more protective role than Bentaleb offered last year. Toby's defensive reading has covered Jan's occassionally risky positioning and allowed him to carry the ball forward more. The reduced space behind our midfield has been key to our solidity, and reduced congestion in the upper half of the pitch which is giving us more opportunities on the break.

Players come and go, but the shape of the team has improved dramatically - something that looked on the cards when we suddenly started going after pace merchants like Son, N'Jie and Berahino rather than players who are more suited to a high press. I questioned this at the time, but fair play to Poch - he was making a clear shift in tactical direction and it appears to be paying off.

Back
Top Bottom